plinkabob

Name change whilst ROC is being processed

7 posts in this topic

Hello!

I apologise if this has been answered a million times before but I am not great at this and can't work out how to search for it...

I started my ROC in April 2017 and filed with a waiver as my ex and I were divorced at the end of 2016 and are no longer on speaking terms. I have since then changed my name legally and I would rather not have my married name on my CG (if I am approved of course). I have heard that having a GC reissued costs a lot of money and I don't want a constant reminder of my not-so-great marriage every time I look at it. 

I have tried so many times to get an infopass appointment, even trying at midnight as it worked for me once before but I just can't seem to get an appointment.

I am CSC so I have probably another 5 months of waiting until I hear anything but I'd love to get it out of the way if possible.

If you have advice or if you can point me towards a thread that can advise, I will be so grateful.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
46 minutes ago, plinkabob said:

Hello!

I apologise if this has been answered a million times before but I am not great at this and can't work out how to search for it...

I started my ROC in April 2017 and filed with a waiver as my ex and I were divorced at the end of 2016 and are no longer on speaking terms. I have since then changed my name legally and I would rather not have my married name on my CG (if I am approved of course). I have heard that having a GC reissued costs a lot of money and I don't want a constant reminder of my not-so-great marriage every time I look at it. 

I have tried so many times to get an infopass appointment, even trying at midnight as it worked for me once before but I just can't seem to get an appointment.

I am CSC so I have probably another 5 months of waiting until I hear anything but I'd love to get it out of the way if possible.

If you have advice or if you can point me towards a thread that can advise, I will be so grateful.

Thanks so much in advance!!

I tried that and was told I had to wait until I had the green card to file (and pay) to have it changed.

11 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I tried that and was told I had to wait until I had the green card to file (and pay) to have it changed.

Dang, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info x

Filed: Timeline

It is theoretically possible to get the name you want on the new GC since it hasnt been issued yet.  Your best bet is to send a letter to the service center along with proof of your name change requesting they process your application with the new name. Then you just sit back and wait and hope the letter gets attached to your application and the Officer processing your case uses the new name. 

Sending a letter is the easiest way. You can try to go to infopass but they have no authority over your application. Its being processed at the service center until you are notified it is in a local office. So at infopass they would simply accept your letter and name change proof and forward it to the service center. you dont need them to do that when you are capable of mailing it directly to the service center yourself. Plus some infopass locations dont like to be used as the middle man  and will simply tell you they cant accept your paperwork. If your case is at the local office then the infopass worker can forward your info to the Officer in that office to process the name change. Again they may tell you no. If you mail it to the service center and your file is at the local office it should get forwarded there. 

Worst case scenario you get the old name and have to pay the fee to change it. 

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi, i need some advice regarding to the change name, so im filing for my roc waiver and i want to use my single name coz im already divorced, do i need to change my name to in my ssn and in my drivers licencse name too before filing for roc? thank u.

2 hours ago, kerrydavid said:

hi, i need some advice regarding to the change name, so im filing for my roc waiver and i want to use my single name coz im already divorced, do i need to change my name to in my ssn and in my drivers licencse name too before filing for roc? thank u.

Hey!

I actually ended up being asked for further evidence to support my case. Whilst I was super scared of being denied, I took it as an opportunity to send in a copy of my new marriage certificate and a picture of my ssc with my new name on it along with a letter explaining that I had changed my name back legally. I received my green card a month later with the correct name on it!! Such a relief. 

Beat of luck xxx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@plinkabob wowww thats such a wonderful thing!!1 congratulations!  can i ask what was the rfe about? coz im changing my name in my ssn and in my drivers card and in my passport too, the thing is, im getting married again this yr, but i want to apply for my roc first before getting married and use my single name in my new gc, but the problem is, im getting married and my roc is pending, then i need to apply for name change again for my second marriage haha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.