Mara0899

Joint tax-ITIN number

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi everyone, I had sent my original passport to my USC wife to file "Marriage Joint" tax return. She gave to tax agency to file out any relevant forms. Agency guy made notarize copied my passport and submitted to IRS then my USC wife returned my original passport to me when she was here(Cambodia) in Apr to visit me. And now, IRS just mailed to her to ask for my original to make ITIN number (IRS is not accepted motorized anymore). So this I need to send again or go thru filing as "Joint" in the NVC stage while my ITIN number is still pending ? or I need to revert back to file " Marriage Separately" ? thanks for reply. :) 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

following...hmmm maybe certified birth certificate?  I just sent my hubby's copied passport page ....guess I am expecting a mail in a few week....I filed married but file separately.  This sucks.

Edited by Rameda

Get certified copy of your passport and send it. IRS doesn’t accept notarized copies. Usually you can get the certified copies from ministry of foreign affairs or similar government agency in your country. I submitted certified copy of my wife passport and was able to get ITIN for her in 6 weeks. 

Again, research on getting certified and not notarized or attested. Usually you can stop by agency who issued your passport and ask about it. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

ITIN application instructions make it clear that notarized copies are not acceptable. It's disappointing that a tax agency did not know this. It must be a certified copy from the issuing agency. If they can not provide you with a certified copy (this is my case, the Romanian government's favorite phrase is "we don't do that"), check with the US embassy/consulate nearest you. Many embassies provide certified copies of foreign passports for ITIN purposes (through the American Citizen Services notarial services). Yes, it's a pain as most of us don't live within easy driving distance of the US embassy, but it can be easier than parting from the passport for 2 or 3 months and worry about the mail system delivering it back safely.

As another poster mentioned, you can also look at other acceptable documents for the ITIN application and see if the applicable issuing agencies can provide certified copies of those. A passport is definitely the best document, but you can combine some others to satisfy the ITIN application requirements.

Married/separately is an option. The USC can just put "NRA" for the spouse's SSN. However, no exemptions can be claimed. Additionally, depending on the USC's state, many states do not allow declaring "NRA" and require that an SSN or ITIN be provided. This is the case in my state. So if this is the case, you have to file for the ITIN anyways, just keep it joint if that makes the most financial sense for you.

Edited by shumway88

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 5/4/2018 at 9:45 AM, Rameda said:

following...hmmm maybe certified birth certificate?  I just sent my hubby's copied passport page ....guess I am expecting a mail in a few week....I filed married but file separately.  This sucks.

I'm going crazy by tax agency who got my original passport but filed to IRS with notarize copied, and now IRS needs original passport. :(  

Timeline
On 5/4/2018 at 10:00 AM, yogik_yo said:

Get certified copy of your passport and send it. IRS doesn’t accept notarized copies. Usually you can get the certified copies from ministry of foreign affairs or similar government agency in your country. I submitted certified copy of my wife passport and was able to get ITIN for her in 6 weeks. 

Again, research on getting certified and not notarized or attested. Usually you can stop by agency who issued your passport and ask about it. 

Agency is crazy. told me wrong.  

Timeline
14 hours ago, shumway88 said:

ITIN application instructions make it clear that notarized copies are not acceptable. It's disappointing that a tax agency did not know this. It must be a certified copy from the issuing agency. If they can not provide you with a certified copy (this is my case, the Romanian government's favorite phrase is "we don't do that"), check with the US embassy/consulate nearest you. Many embassies provide certified copies of foreign passports for ITIN purposes (through the American Citizen Services notarial services). Yes, it's a pain as most of us don't live within easy driving distance of the US embassy, but it can be easier than parting from the passport for 2 or 3 months and worry about the mail system delivering it back safely.

As another poster mentioned, you can also look at other acceptable documents for the ITIN application and see if the applicable issuing agencies can provide certified copies of those. A passport is definitely the best document, but you can combine some others to satisfy the ITIN application requirements.

Married/separately is an option. The USC can just put "NRA" for the spouse's SSN. However, no exemptions can be claimed. Additionally, depending on the USC's state, many states do not allow declaring "NRA" and require that an SSN or ITIN be provided. This is the case in my state. So if this is the case, you have to file for the ITIN anyways, just keep it joint if that makes the most financial sense for you.

thanks for your advise, agency already submitted to IRS and now IRS mailed to my USC wife for my original passport. for this, if I dont send mine or certified copy to IRS. can we file as "Joint" or come back and file "Separately" ? thanks 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mara0899 said:

thanks for your advise, agency already submitted to IRS and now IRS mailed to my USC wife for my original passport. for this, if I dont send mine or certified copy to IRS. can we file as "Joint" or come back and file "Separately" ? thanks 

You can't successfully file as jointly unless fulfilling their requirements for the ITIN. Honestly, since you've already submitted, I'm not familiar with what would be involved in changing the filing status. Given that it's the IRS I have a feeling that could be even more of a headache. If it's at all possible, I would send them either the passport or a certified copy. If you feel it's best to try and change status, maybe call them (good luck with that) or get in touch with a tax expert and see if they can advise you of options.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, shumway88 said:

You can't successfully file as jointly unless fulfilling their requirements for the ITIN. Honestly, since you've already submitted, I'm not familiar with what would be involved in changing the filing status. Given that it's the IRS I have a feeling that could be even more of a headache. If it's at all possible, I would send them either the passport or a certified copy. If you feel it's best to try and change status, maybe call them (good luck with that) or get in touch with a tax expert and see if they can advise you of options.

thanks for this, i will let my USC wife fcall IRS about this first. possible i will send my passport thru her workmate who will fly back from here to the US on 7th-May. 

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.