bcking

White House Correspondents' Dinner: Michelle Wolf obliterates Sarah Huckabee Sanders

33 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Didn't see anyone advocating anyone be silenced in the other thread, but I digress.

Don't all WH Comm Dir., lie for a living?  I think the outrage is just how unfunny Wolff was, from the clips I heard her jokes were just bad with a lot of silence that made things seem worse.

Yes they all do that, that's why making fun of it isn't a problem for me.

The outrage is absolutely not just because she was unfunny. It's because people she "went too far" and was insulting. I have no problem with people complaining that she wasn't funny...but she is a comedian doing a roast. It's her job to insult.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, bcking said:

Yes they all do that, that's why making fun of it isn't a problem for me.

The outrage is absolutely not just because she was unfunny. It's because people she "went too far" and was insulting. I have no problem with people complaining that she wasn't funny...but she is a comedian doing a roast. It's her job to insult.

Not really sure you can consider this to be a roast?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Not really sure you can consider this to be a roast?

why wouldn't you consider it a roast, that's exactly what it was and has always been..

Timeline
Just now, smilesammich said:

why wouldn't you consider it a roast, that's exactly what it was and has always been..

Roasts typically focus on one individual, whereas the WHCD was meant to project self deprecating humor about everyone there.  Did Wolff criticize herself?

2 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Roasts typically focus on one individual, whereas the WHCD was meant to project self deprecating humor about everyone there.  Did Wolff criticize herself?

have you ever watched one of these before?

Very rich of the Trump supporters criticizing all of this, Donnie does this to people pretty much every week and gets a free pass from them. So the outrage is hilarious.

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Timeline
28 minutes ago, JimandChristy said:

Very rich of the Trump supporters criticizing all of this, Donnie does this to people pretty much every week and gets a free pass from them. So the outrage is hilarious.

You as well.  I seem to be seeing a lot of non-Trump supporters expressing outrage.  Why do you give them a pass?

51 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I don't think the comedians at the WHCD criticize themselves typically, but she did criticize the media. She ended with a comment (not really a joke) about how as much as the media complains about Trump they are all happy to profit off the media attention.

The comedians/hosts often focus on the current establishment (current President) at the Dinners. Sanders was there representing Trump, though Wolff also went after Trump specifically. It isn't the same when the person refuses to show up though.

Again I don't care about political leanings here (I realize other people are trying to complain that the right specifically are complaining more, I know that it is both sides here). I care more about the content of their complaints. Take for example Mika Brzezinski -

What the heck is she talking about?

1. What does being a wife and mother have to do with it? If she was single and had no children, would it be okay to tell the jokes? If it still wouldn't be okay, then why bring it up? 

2. Once again - Please someone tell me how Wolff was insulting Sanders' looks? She said she had perfect eye shadow.

It's just a bunch of fake outrage, from both sides. Complain that she wasn't funny, that's fine. But she did exactly what she was supposed to do. Maybe some jokes fell flat, that happens for every comedian. But she did nothing "insulting" as a comedian in that position. 

Edited by bcking

4 minutes ago, bcking said:

I don't think the comedians at the WHCD criticize themselves typically, but she did criticize the media. She ended with a comment (not really a joke) about how as much as the media complains about Trump they are all happy to profit off the media attention.

The comedians/hosts often focus on the current establishment (current President) at the Dinners. Sanders was there representing Trump, though Wolff also went after Trump specifically. It isn't the same when the person refuses to show up though.

Again I don't care about political leanings here (I realize other people are trying to complain that the right specifically are complaining more, I know that it is both sides here). I care more about the content of their complaints. Take for example Mika Brzezinski -

What the heck is she talking about?

1. What does being a wife and mother have to do with it? If she was single and had no children, would it be okay to tell the jokes? If it still wouldn't be okay, then why bring it up? 

2. Once again - Please someone tell me how Wolff was insulting Sanders' looks? She said she had perfect eye shadow.

It's just a bunch of fake outrage, from both sides. Complain that she wasn't funny, that's fine. But she did exactly what she was supposed to do. Maybe some jokes fell flat, that happens for every comedian. But she did nothing "insulting" as a comedian in that position. 

i often agree with mika, but not here. i think she just wanted a reason to whine about trump making fun of her for her face lift again.

14 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

i often agree with mika, but not here. i think she just wanted a reason to whine about trump making fun of her for her face lift again.

She is not the only one who has made it about Sanders' looks. She was just the tweet that stood out most for me.

Honestly I still don't get it. All these women saying that Sanders' was insulted for her looks when the reality is they are insulting the actress that plays Aunt Lydia by assuming the comparison is about looks, and the comparison is an insult.

The character is not in any make-up and prosthetics to make the actress look different than what she normally looks like. The character looks true to the Actress. The character has nothing to do with her appearance, and that doesn't come up at all in the story. So "assuming" that the comparison is about looks reflects more on the people making that assumption than on the person telling the joke.

24 minutes ago, bcking said:

She is not the only one who has made it about Sanders' looks. She was just the tweet that stood out most for me.

Honestly I still don't get it. All these women saying that Sanders' was insulted for her looks when the reality is they are insulting the actress that plays Aunt Lydia by assuming the comparison is about looks, and the comparison is an insult.

The character is not in any make-up and prosthetics to make the actress look different than what she normally looks like. The character looks true to the Actress. The character has nothing to do with her appearance, and that doesn't come up at all in the story. So "assuming" that the comparison is about looks reflects more on the people making that assumption than on the person telling the joke.

i know she wasn't the only one, i'm just saying..

honestly, i don't care about anyone whining about sanders looks or aunt lydia's looks. we're just coming out of eight years of listening to michelle obama be called a man or compared to a horse. how quickly folks forget..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Take it back a few years, imagine her doing this to you know who, what would have been the MSM reaction?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Take it back a few years, imagine her doing this to you know who, what would have been the MSM reaction?

Imagine her doing what? Telling jokes? Roasting? What do you think she did exactly that was inappropriate?

Also - I honestly don't recall many of the White House Communications Directors in past administrations, which one are you thinking about?

If you're talking about the Obama's, the post above you is valid:

1 hour ago, smilesammich said:

honestly, i don't care about anyone whining about sanders looks or aunt lydia's looks. we're just coming out of eight years of listening to michelle obama be called a man or compared to a horse. how quickly folks forget..

And those were actual insults about appearance, whereas these jokes had nothing to do with appearance. Same with her joke about Conway (making fun of her last name, implying a con). 

I agree it's in bad taste to make fun of people for something they have no control over, particularly appearance. SNL constantly walks a fine line there, and I'm honestly getting a little tired at the late night comics' impersonations of Trump (it also just gets old after awhile). She used perfectly appropriate material. Again maybe not all of her jokes were funny, but they didn't attack anything that I would consider a "no go" topic (like appearance).

The only people insulting someone for their appearance are those who assumed that is what her joke was about.

Edited by bcking

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, JimandChristy said:

You mean this guy?

Like I said what the comedian did was unacceptable but it was no different to what Trump has done since he came onto the political scene. So the outrage on the right is extremely hypocritical because they weren't criticizing Trump when he was hurling insults and making crass comments about other people. It's seriously hilarious.

Edited by JimandChristy

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview