Sho Ishizaki

K1 Visa Embassy Interview

12 posts in this topic

I will be having an interview very soon for k1 visa in manila. Fear of denial has been going through my mind like crazy. Will being a young couple ages 21 and 23 be denied out speculation that we are too young. Another concern is that i was on a j1 visa in america just a year ago, will that affect our chances as well? Thank you for your answers, hoping to ease my mind.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

Will being a young couple ages 21 and 23 be denied out speculation that we are too young.

Legally, you cannot be denied based solely on age.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

I doubt your ages would be of any concern to the CO. Relax and be polite and professional.

The J-1 won't affect your case at all (unless you have a 2 year home residency requirement that you have not fulfilled).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, Sho Ishizaki said:

Than you for your responses! Will my fiance being with me help?

It's likely not necessary with Manila, but if they can be there, I always suggest doing so just in case. And it's always a nice visit anyway!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

I will be having an interview very soon for k1 visa in manila. Fear of denial has been going through my mind like crazy. Will being a young couple ages 21 and 23 be denied out speculation that we are too young. Another concern is that i was on a j1 visa in america just a year ago, will that affect our chances as well? Thank you for your answers, hoping to ease my mind.

Shouldn't have any problems as long as you got all the paper work in order and all the needed requirments. I don't see how having a prior visa is a big deal, because this is a completely new one. The Philippines is a pretty straight forward K-1 visa process! Good luck in your interview!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

Than you for your responses! Will my fiance being with me help?

It does help in my opinion, but honestly I don't think you will have any problems. Try to relax and don't stress about the process, you still have a long ways to go even after the initial interview! You've gotten this far and you will do just fine.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

USEM is not a difficult embassy as long as you have all the required documents and have genuine relationship.   Relax.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Did your J-1 have a two year requirement for staying in in the Philippines after returning?  

Your fiance being at the interview can always be helpful, but truly is not necessary.   I was there with my wife, but I doubt it influenced her approval for her visa.   Just the same it was a great experience and I highly recommend it if you fiance can attend.

As a last note, make sure to get the CFO sticker in your passport after you have your visa.

Relax.   Smile and look the CO in the eyes when speaking ..     3-5 minutes later you will be done and smiling even bigger.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Sho Ishizaki said:

There is no age limit filing a 129F

If you are under age 14, parent or guardian my sign petition on your behalf

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

18 hours ago, Hank_ said:

USEM is not a difficult embassy as long as you have all the required documents and have genuine relationship.   Relax.

http://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/k-1-visa-application.html

Did your J-1 have a two year requirement for staying in in the Philippines after returning?  

Your fiance being at the interview can always be helpful, but truly is not necessary.   I was there with my wife, but I doubt it influenced her approval for her visa.   Just the same it was a great experience and I highly recommend it if you fiance can attend.

As a last note, make sure to get the CFO sticker in your passport after you have your visa.

Relax.   Smile and look the CO in the eyes when speaking ..     3-5 minutes later you will be done and smiling even bigger.

I was there with Joan as well. As others have said, not necessary, but definitely a good experience--and it doesn't hurt! Also, an extra set of ears is a good thing to catch things you might miss due to nerves (the interviews are usually easy though). Remember the Parental Permission/Advisement form for Manila ---it has been a while, but I think Joan needed a letter of advisement even though she was 22 at the time. Has that changed, Hank? You'll be fine.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

I was there with Rose and the kids.  It was a great experience.  It also helped that I was able to have the Embassy hold our phones during the process.  

@Sho Ishizaki, no worries.  The interview is easy if you are prepared.  We had everything with us that we though may be needed and most of it was never asked for.  Be confident, smile, look the filipino and the American CO in the eyes and you will be fine.  It is a beautiful building and the process was smooth and straight forward.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Stevephoto said:

I was there with Joan as well. As others have said, not necessary, but definitely a good experience--and it doesn't hurt! Also, an extra set of ears is a good thing to catch things you might miss due to nerves (the interviews are usually easy though). Remember the Parental Permission/Advisement form for Manila ---it has been a while, but I think Joan needed a letter of advisement even though she was 22 at the time. Has that changed, Hank? You'll be fine.

CFO asks for them still .

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.