Jen&Cal

London Embassy Medical - Drug Test/History ?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, at the London Embassy Medical Exam will they ask about prior drug use? If my fiancee used to smoke marijuana a few years ago will this be an issue? He was never convicted for substance abuse. I have read mixed information, some day admitting to past marijuana use can lead to a one year penalty....

We are really stressed about causing any issue to delay out marriage. 

Thank you

1 minute ago, Jennifer W said:

Hello, at the London Embassy Medical Exam will they ask about prior drug use? If my fiancee used to smoke marijuana a few years ago will this be an issue? He was never convicted for substance abuse. I have read mixed information, some day admitting to past marijuana use can lead to a one year penalty....

Thank you

Probably won't be a problem if he is no longer a smoker,  they will ask him to pay extra for a drugs test and it wont be a problem if he passes. If he fails that's an instant 1yr ban and he will need further tests. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know people will probably be annoyed at me for saying this but if he has no record and no longer smokes then why give yourself the aggravation of it possibly being an issue, I personally would use my discretion for that question and say no, no prior drug use. 

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

24 minutes ago, Cam54 said:

I know people will probably be annoyed at me for saying this but if he has no record and no longer smokes then why give yourself the aggravation of it possibly being an issue, I personally would use my discretion for that question and say no, no prior drug use. 

The reason why it may by annoying to people is because lying to immigration is a crime. This issue in particular is what's called "material misrepresentation". That means that the information would have been in consideration on whether or not the foreigner would be issued a visa. This is a big no-no. Using YOUR discretion is not an option. If directly asked, you should be truthful.

Another reason is because the line will always move. A little marijuana a few years ago now. What about a full blown heroin addict? Is it still not worth mentioning? I guarantee you there will be one or two people who think not. If you leave "personal discretion" in the hands of individuals then you will have some people that will deem any drug use as "no big deal", no matter how frequent the use.

2 hours ago, Jennifer W said:

Thank you

This question gets asked a lot. It used to be an instant ban of up to a year. Even if the beneficiary no longer uses. But we have seen recently that more CO being a little more forgiving for marijuana use in the past.

But to answer your question, ANY use CAN be used as a reason to place a ban on an applicant. Emphasis on the word "can". It will be the CO who decides if a ban should be implemented. There are many cases where the applicant admits to drug use in the past and was issued a visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hello, at the London Embassy Medical Exam will they ask about prior drug use?

Yes they will. There is a questionnaire to take in, another to fill out when you get there, and the doctor will ask you while examining you in a chatty sort of way to get you to admit even one time trying drugs.

Yes, it is correct that admission of ever using will prompt them to add on a drug testing. If clean, all should be okay for the visa. That could depend on "yes I smoked one joint on my birthday 20 years ago" or "yes, I used marijuana every day for five years, but stopped last year."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Thank you

Jennifer I was aware of this as I have two teenage sons yet they only test for gonorrhoea and syphilis  -  that was my info direct from the doctor. And that is only because of concerns about drug resistance. The whole medical is very basic - unless there is a history ( as one of my sons) then they wanted more papers but really its a paper exercise. Youll be fine. No need to worry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.