Mike445

i-130 form help

12 posts in this topic

Timeline

My American wife and I (I'm Canadian) have started to fill out the I-130, I-130A, and G-1145 forms.  This is both our first marriages. I live in Ontario, she lives in Arkansas.  We spend lots of time together and visit each other frequently. We got married on April 7 in Arkansas in front of our families. The I-130A was very straightforward and is all filed out ready to go.  The confusion comes with the I-130.  My wife and I are married and we have our original and certified copies of our marriage license. What last name does she use on the form I-30?  Her maiden name or my last name?  She has not changed it with the Social Security Administration yet.  She does plan on doing this before we send in the forms.  She will not be changing her passport or drivers license until November after the forms will have been sent in.  Same goes for the G-1145, what last name should be used?  We are thinking that MY last name should be used on all forms since her name will be changed with SSA by the time we send them off. 

This brings me to our second dilemma.  Some of our evidence. We have 3 joint bank accounts.  2 in the USA and 1 in Canada.  1 US account uses her new married name because all they needed was the marriage license to change it.  The other 2 are in her maiden name because they need pieces of ID which we don't have. My insurance forms (health insurance through my Canadian job) and beneficiary forms (leaving her the beneficiary of my retirement plans and life insurance) are all in her maiden name but are in the process of being changed over to her married name.  I will submit copies of both. Does it matter that the names are partially in her maiden name and partially in her married name?

On the I-130 part 2 we should use her maiden name?  For employment history she works seasonally in NY even though she lives in AR.  She doesn't live in NY but stays there through the warm season to work at a campground to be close to me in Canada. How do we convey this information on the form I-130? 

In part 4, names of beneficiary's spouses...she is the current and only spouse. 21a, do we use her maiden name or my last name after we change hers to mine with the SSA? Information about Beneficiary's family...we have no children so its just her for spouse correct? 

Part 4 question 59.  We have never LIVED together but she has spent lots of time with myself and my parents in Canada and I have spent lots of time with her and her family in the USA.  For that question we put NEVER LIVED TOGETHER.

I'm so sorry for all the questions but we want to be 100% sure of everything before we send anything in.  Thank you all for all the help you've provided for us!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What last name does she use on the form I-30?  Her maiden name or my last name?  In response to all your name questions.  Her current legal last name> 

On the petition you report OTHER NAMES USED.  They will see the difference between married name and maiden name

This is all much ado about nothing

YMMV

Timeline
11 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What last name does she use on the form I-30?  Her maiden name or my last name?  In response to all your name questions.  Her current legal last name> 

On the petition you report OTHER NAMES USED.  They will see the difference between married name and maiden name

This is all much ado about nothing

Thank you.  We will change her name with the SSA and use her married name.  I appreciate the information.

Timeline

Changing it at SSA & DMV is not required to make the name change final or legal (but needs to be done at some point).  The name change was finalized as of the time of marriage. 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
30 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Changing it at SSA & DMV is not required to make the name change final or legal (but needs to be done at some point).  The name change was finalized as of the time of marriage. 

Correct, but many seem to think that until they have some ID with their married name on it, that it hasn't been changed yet.  I can see their point, in that many don't change their names when they marry.  Sometimes it's the male who changes his name.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thank you for the "last name" information!  Now that that part is answered I have another question.

First in part 4 Question 61:

"The beneficiary is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in:

We leave it blank because I'm residing in Canada correct?  I visit the USA but I'm not there for more than a few days at a time. 

What do we write for question 62:

"The beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the United States, but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in:

City or Town, Province, Country

We are applying for  CR-1 as we are already married.  I am residing in Canada and visit the USA frequently.  I have a camper at a seasonal site in the USA and spend most weekends there from April to October. Its where my wife stays when she is working in the summer. As a Canadian I don't need a visitor visa. Do I put the Montreal Consulate in this spot?  I have no US status to adjust. I need clarification. 

Thank you all so much for your help!!  We couldn't have done any of this without all your support and information.  You are making 2 people very happy and much more relaxed!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

61 a and b, leave them blank or put N/A.

62: Provide the city, province (country is definitely Canada) of the US Embassy or Consulate that is closer to you, if Montreal Consulate is closer, put that.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Just now, arken said:

62: Provide the city, province (country is definitely Canada) of the US Embassy or Consulate that is closer to you, if Montreal Consulate is closer, put that.

Thank you.  The Toronto embassy is closer to me, I live 10 minutes away.  The Toronto embassy doesn't conduct the interviews though.  Only Montreal does it no matter where in Canada you reside. Do I still put Toronto?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Mike445 said:

Thank you.  The Toronto embassy is closer to me, I live 10 minutes away.  The Toronto embassy doesn't conduct the interviews though.  Only Montreal does it no matter where in Canada you reside. Do I still put Toronto?

Montreal then.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
26 minutes ago, arken said:

Montreal regardless of where you live in Canada

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.