79 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, JoBri said:

Never heard of a shelter denying someone based on immigration status, nor of a shelter advising to go back to a bad situation

I am thinking there was a  language barrier, and the shelter didn't quite understand the total situation at first. They finally sent a police car to pick her up yesterday, and she is there now. However, the lawyer there knows nothing about immigration, and basically told her that he couldn't do anything for her, she just needed to go back to her country if possible. She contacted another lawyer today, associated with the shelters, and he is going to see what he can do.

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She just leaves no immigration issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, woodsman4cb said:

However, the lawyer there knows nothing about immigration, and basically told her that he couldn't do anything for her, she just needed to go back to her country if possible. She contacted another lawyer today, associated with the shelters, and he is going to see what he can do.

Basically, if she has no intent on residing in the US (and it sounds like she'd rather go back to her home country), she just leaves---there's nothing she needs to do on the immigration end of things.  She can proceed with the divorce once she is safely back home through a US-based lawyer if she wishes (or no lawyer at all if she wishes).

Situation with child support won't begin until she actually delivers the child and goes through legal proceedings to request child support.  If the husband goes on to claim the child isn't his just to avoid support payments, then she can prove he's the father through a court-ordered DNA test.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
17 hours ago, Going through said:

Basically, if she has no intent on residing in the US (and it sounds like she'd rather go back to her home country), she just leaves---there's nothing she needs to do on the immigration end of things.  She can proceed with the divorce once she is safely back home through a US-based lawyer if she wishes (or no lawyer at all if she wishes).

Situation with child support won't begin until she actually delivers the child and goes through legal proceedings to request child support.  If the husband goes on to claim the child isn't his just to avoid support payments, then she can prove he's the father through a court-ordered DNA test.

Everything you said is what I have basically been telling my wife to tell her. However,  she is wanting to basically find out if there is anything that can be done about him bringing her here, and not following through with her paperwork to be legal, and causing her to lose her job...

I am thinking she will only be eligible to possibly draw some child support after the baby is born, and that's it. 

I'm sure she is really emotional, and just needs to find out for sure from a professional what is possible and not possible. Her husband first said he would give her tickets for next week to go back, but now that she is in the shelter, he says she is on her own...

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Timeline

So she was sacked when she did not return.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 hours ago, woodsman4cb said:

However,  she is wanting to basically find out if there is anything that can be done about him bringing her here, and not following through with her paperwork to be legal, and causing her to lose her job...

1) There is nothing she can do about him refusing to file the affidavit of support for her to get a green card.  He has the right to refuse.

2)  She arrived to the US on a tourist visa, as you said in your original post.  How did he "bring her here" unless there was an intent to adjust status once in the US when crossing the border? (If there was intent, then she committed immigration fraud)

3)  Her job....do you mean she was working in the US after arriving 4 months ago on a tourist visa?  If she was, she was working illegally since she cannot work on a tourist visa, which is on HER not him.    If you mean her job back in her home country---she lost it because she chose not to return to her home country after her vacation in the US to continue that employment, nothing to do with him.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
5 hours ago, Going through said:

1) There is nothing she can do about him refusing to file the affidavit of support for her to get a green card.  He has the right to refuse.

2)  She arrived to the US on a tourist visa, as you said in your original post.  How did he "bring her here" unless there was an intent to adjust status once in the US when crossing the border? (If there was intent, then she committed immigration fraud)

3)  Her job....do you mean she was working in the US after arriving 4 months ago on a tourist visa?  If she was, she was working illegally since she cannot work on a tourist visa, which is on HER not him.    If you mean her job back in her home country---she lost it because she chose not to return to her home country after her vacation in the US to continue that employment, nothing to do with him.

I have copied a sent to her, so maybe she can save herself some energy. Thanks for putting so clearly.

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Timeline
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, Maria1989 said:

She should go home, she can’t be too far along if she just got here a couple months ago....... let her file an answer to the complaint and ask for child support via an attorney after she is back in Brazil. He is the US Citizen  and she can receive her child support on a card which she can use there. Also they can’t make her stay now, if she waits until she has the baby then she will need to seek permission to leave. I just really don’t think she wants to leave. Try a Catholic Charity, the Consulate. She can get into a shelter and try to seek assistance in getting funds to return. 

The people at the shelter are attempting to get in touch with the Consulate, but is very difficult, I am told. I am also being told that the Consulate is very tight with their money, and only after months and months would they possibly help in the tickets. We are telling her to try to contact Catholic churches for possible assistance. The shelter I believe is called helping hands, and does not offer ticket money. I just wanted to update on what I'm being told...Thanks

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Timeline

Timeline
7 minutes ago, woodsman4cb said:

The people at the shelter are attempting to get in touch with the Consulate, but is very difficult, I am told.

She can try visiting them in person to find out how they can help her, maybe?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Going through said:

She can try visiting them in person to find out how they can help her, maybe?

With no money or transportation, I don't think she can travel to Washington from Ohio. Almost as hard as trying to travel back to Brazil. :)

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Timeline
4 minutes ago, woodsman4cb said:

With no money or transportation, I don't think she can travel to Washington from Ohio. Almost as hard as trying to travel back to Brazil. :)

Ah ok I forgot throughout the last pages of this thread where she's located.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I looked at the site, and it does show Washington as the correct embassy for Ohio, but I don't see any contact information. I only see for Houston, Los Angelos etc. Since she married in Arkansas, possibly the Houston embassy might work? Who knows, she may have already tried to email, and they answer their emails once a month. I will try to find out from her the details.

[/entry][/code]

s-event.png

[/entry][/code]

event.png

Timeline

Found this through google, might be worth checking into:

Honorary Consulate of Brazil in Ohio

Director Contact: William Blackham
302 W. 3rd Street
Cincinnati Ohio 45202
Phone: 513-271-6400
Personal Email: consular@brasilemb.org

Honorary Consuls are official representatives of a foreign country, who on a voluntary basis represent that country in cities that are distant from a full-time diplomatic mission of that foreign government. Honorary Consuls assist and protect the citizens of that country and facilitate trade and friendship between their city and the foreign government they represent.

https://www.globalcincinnati.org/programs/explore-global-cincinnati/find-local-resources/name/honorary-consulate-of-brazil-in-ohio/

Timeline
2 hours ago, woodsman4cb said:

I looked at the site, and it does show Washington as the correct embassy for Ohio, but I don't see any contact information. I only see for Houston, Los Angelos etc. Since she married in Arkansas, possibly the Houston embassy might work? Who knows, she may have already tried to email, and they answer their emails once a month. I will try to find out from her the details.

I would call.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.