CoffeeVegan

Detroit N400 filers

926 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Passed my Citizenship Interview! Given below is my experience

USCIS District: Detroit, MI

Filing Basis: 5 yrs (employment based)

Application Filed: 06/10/2019 (ONLINE)

Biometrics Appointment: 07/01/2019  (early walk in completed on 06/17)

Interview Letter Received: 08/19/2019

Interview Date: 09/23/2019

I arrived 45 mins early. Was requested to wait for 15 mins in the waiting area as they only check you in 30 mins prior to your interview time.

After Check In, I was asked to wait in Section 1

Within 5 mins, I was called to the counter where the officer asked me for my passport, driver license and greencard. He then captured my index finger prints and photograph. Asked me if I traveled outside the US since filing the N-400 or if there were any other changes (name change, marriage, divorce, child,  etc).

I was given my documents back and asked to wait in Section 3 for the Test + Interview. Waited for 20 mins before being called in by the Officer

- On entering her office, I was sworn in

-Then came the English & civics test. Questions asked:

(1) Before Eisenhower was president, in which war was he a general?

(2) What was one of the reasons for the civil war?

(3) When do we celebrate Independence day?

(4) What ocean in on the west coast?

(5) What is one promise you make when becoming a US citizen?

(6) What is one responsibility only for US citizens?

I was asked to read: “what do we pay the government” and write “we pay taxes”.

She smiled and said I did well and we could now discuss the application form.

At this point, I mentioned that I had 3 corrections to make and we went over them.

She then asked me for my full name, date of birth, date I became a permanent resident, my employer’s name, and home address.

She then went over EVERY Yes & No question from Part 12 and also asked the below

- If I had paid all my traffic citations (I had a total of 6 traffic citations, of which 3 were from the last 5 years)

- If I paid all my federal, state and local taxes

- Name all countries that I have visited over the last five years (I travel a lot for work)

- If I had registered with Selective Service (I was a non-immigrant on F1 / H1 till my mid 30’s. However, I received the SS notice when I was 25 and I voluntarily registered as there was no harm in doing so). I showed her the letter and she added the SS Number and Date to the form.

I was then asked to sign the changes I had requested and view the information that would be printed on my naturalization certificate.

She told me she would recommend my application for approval. I was given a printed notice that I passed the interview. Next morning I received the system notification of approval & currently waiting for my oath letter + date.

DOCUMENTS I TOOK WITH ME

The interview notice mentioned my passport, green card, selective service evidence (if any)

I took the following additional documents but was never asked for them at the interview:

1.       2 Old / Expired passports

2.       Last 5 years tax transcripts (it’s free and easy to get online from the IRS website)

3.       Last three traffic citations with proof of payment

4.       Certified Driving Record (I highly encourage this if you have had citations in the last 5 yrs). You can obtain this at the BMV (or online)

5.       Selective Service Registration Letter

6.       2 passport size photos (as I would eventually need them for a US passport).

7.       Last Month’s paystub (proof of residence)

8.       My application snapshot from the website

DETROIT OFFICE FEEDBACK

- I had a very pleasant experience.

-There is free and ample parking on site

- Detroit traffic and road closures can delay you. So give yourself atleast 30 extra minutes if your interview is between 8 & 10:30am

-Arrive 30 mins prior to the interview. If you arrive earlier, just pass through security and spend time in the waiting area.

-You can bring a family member / children.

-  Security is similar to TSA

- Cell phones are allowed but need to be powered off once you are checked in

- The Officers are very courteous

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, R78 said:

Passed my Citizenship Interview! Given below is my experience

USCIS District: Detroit, MI

Filing Basis: 5 yrs (employment based)

Application Filed: 06/10/2019 (ONLINE)

Biometrics Appointment: 07/01/2019  (early walk in completed on 06/17)

Interview Letter Received: 08/19/2019

Interview Date: 09/23/2019

I arrived 45 mins early. Was requested to wait for 15 mins in the waiting area as they only check you in 30 mins prior to your interview time.

After Check In, I was asked to wait in Section 1

Within 5 mins, I was called to the counter where the officer asked me for my passport, driver license and greencard. He then captured my index finger prints and photograph. Asked me if I traveled outside the US since filing the N-400 or if there were any other changes (name change, marriage, divorce, child,  etc).

I was given my documents back and asked to wait in Section 3 for the Test + Interview. Waited for 20 mins before being called in by the Officer

- On entering her office, I was sworn in

-Then came the English & civics test. Questions asked:

(1) Before Eisenhower was president, in which war was he a general?

(2) What was one of the reasons for the civil war?

(3) When do we celebrate Independence day?

(4) What ocean in on the west coast?

(5) What is one promise you make when becoming a US citizen?

(6) What is one responsibility only for US citizens?

I was asked to read: “what do we pay the government” and write “we pay taxes”.

She smiled and said I did well and we could now discuss the application form.

At this point, I mentioned that I had 3 corrections to make and we went over them.

She then asked me for my full name, date of birth, date I became a permanent resident, my employer’s name, and home address.

She then went over EVERY Yes & No question from Part 12 and also asked the below

- If I had paid all my traffic citations (I had a total of 6 traffic citations, of which 3 were from the last 5 years)

- If I paid all my federal, state and local taxes

- Name all countries that I have visited over the last five years (I travel a lot for work)

- If I had registered with Selective Service (I was a non-immigrant on F1 / H1 till my mid 30’s. However, I received the SS notice when I was 25 and I voluntarily registered as there was no harm in doing so). I showed her the letter and she added the SS Number and Date to the form.

I was then asked to sign the changes I had requested and view the information that would be printed on my naturalization certificate.

She told me she would recommend my application for approval. I was given a printed notice that I passed the interview. Next morning I received the system notification of approval & currently waiting for my oath letter + date.

DOCUMENTS I TOOK WITH ME

The interview notice mentioned my passport, green card, selective service evidence (if any)

I took the following additional documents but was never asked for them at the interview:

1.       2 Old / Expired passports

2.       Last 5 years tax transcripts (it’s free and easy to get online from the IRS website)

3.       Last three traffic citations with proof of payment

4.       Certified Driving Record (I highly encourage this if you have had citations in the last 5 yrs). You can obtain this at the BMV (or online)

5.       Selective Service Registration Letter

6.       2 passport size photos (as I would eventually need them for a US passport).

7.       Last Month’s paystub (proof of residence)

8.       My application snapshot from the website

DETROIT OFFICE FEEDBACK

- I had a very pleasant experience.

-There is free and ample parking on site

- Detroit traffic and road closures can delay you. So give yourself atleast 30 extra minutes if your interview is between 8 & 10:30am

-Arrive 30 mins prior to the interview. If you arrive earlier, just pass through security and spend time in the waiting area.

-You can bring a family member / children.

-  Security is similar to TSA

- Cell phones are allowed but need to be powered off once you are checked in

- The Officers are very courteous

Thanks for the detailed recap. 

How did you obtain Selective Service Letter? I have simply included scans of my I-20s in my N400 application to show that I was a non-immigrant during the Selective Service Registration period. 

Does anyone have any insight of how often they hold a judicial oath ceremony on the west side of Michigan? Anyone here who requested a name change can share their timeline of how long they had waited for a judicial ceremony on the west side? Or state wide in general? How long is the delay for judicial ceremony due to name change compared to administrative ceremony? Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

Received oath notification on 10/21 and the letter (online today). Oath is on 11/08 at Kalamazoo, MI.

I was able to research the following info

- If you live in the Detroit / East Side, then you can expect your oath letter / schedule 3-10 days from the interview and the actual oath in another 3-4 weeks 

- If you live on the West Side like me (Kalamazoo, South Haven, etc), expect your oath letter / schedule 2-4 WEEKS from the interview and the actual oath in another 3-4 weeks 

The reason for the delay is that there are a lot lesser applicants from the west / north side. Therefore, you will be placed in line for oath but the letter is only generated once they receive the a certain number of applicants. 

There is One date every 1-2 months with two ceremonies on the same date. 

Edited by R78
wanted to add more info

• 4 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Interview 02/25, Oath 03/19 almost there ! Question about the oath ceremonie, I have a 1pm time, how long should I expect to be there? Would it beat the 3:30 pm closure for the passport office? thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

so all the Neutralization ceremonies canceled by US district court Michigan until further notice. Does any one received the letter online or In mail regarding de-schedule? My mom her oath is scheduled for 3/30 but since all ceremonies got suspended. Will update if i received any update. 

Timeline

I did not receive this information, where did you see that?

Sorry just read the fine lines:

The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan has undertaken measures to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) at its five courthouses in Ann Arbor, Bay City, Detroit, Flint and Port Huron. The changes include suspending naturalization ceremonies until further notice. The measures take effect immediately, and follow the Governor’s March 10 state of emergency declaration.

Edited by estchef

Timeline

I was called today by someone in USCIS informing me to not come to the court. that Naturalization ceremony will be reschedule when they can do so and people will be receiving new appointment later.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

does anybody still have his estimated completion time and estimated wait time on his online account?  mine disappeared for over a month  now

Edited by Zero1985

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Filed mid april. Seems like with the COVID thing it will be a long wait. Fingers crossed though. However I have not even gotten the NOA yet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.