Wallhut

K-1 Visa Interview Ghana

28 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

There's been a lot of discussion over time on the message board regarding how the K-1 visa interview process has changed in Ghana. I've heard several people say they never got the package from the U.S. Embassy in Ghana (Package 3 I believe it's called), and so took matters into their own hands to complete everything. We did the same but it appears that was not entirely the right approach. My fiance paid the fee at GT Bank which is required before scheduling an interview. We then went on the CEAC website and scheduled an interview time. I did this early last month and picked a date as far into the future as the website would allow so we would have plenty of time for him to complete his medicals. I sent him all the additional supporting documents and materials we believed are needed for the interview, and as of his interview date today he was fully ready to proceed. He was turned away at the embassy, however. He was told we need to wait for me (the sponsor) to receive an email from the embassy that his package is ready for pickup. It's only after he received the package that we can schedule an interview. He did not ask specifically if we or the embassy schedule the interview time, but I think we will need to schedule it ourselves again on the CEAC website once the package is received.

I just wanted to provide some insight into what happened for us so others can know better how to proceed. We are still excited for him to have his interview at some point in the near future and be approved to come to America so we can be married. I see any delay as only additional time for us to be together and further show that we are for real and will be together forever so although I of course wish he's had his interview today and was approved, we will wait to be contacted to pick up the package from the embassy.

Hope you all have a great day.

Wallace

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So I wonder what is expected of us? Once the status changes to “ready,” we do the DS160 and gather the forms (the ones that were pretty sure we’ll need), get started on the medical, and then once we get packet 3, schedule interview ASAP?  

Bc as @Wallhut said, the medical will take at least a month - my fiancé will also need to allow time to get the series of shots, so I was thinking if we wait until this mysterious packet 3 to start, we’ll lose even more time 😒.  @KingDev, what is your plan, if you don’t mind? 

Keep the faith, everyone! If we can get through NOA2 I hope we can get through this embassy!

NOA1: 9/8/2017

NOA2: 3/14/2018

NVC Case # Available: 3/26/2018

Case left NVC: 4/3/2018

Packet 3 Rec'd: 6/11/2018 

Interview: 6/26/2018 Approved! :thumbs:

POE: 7/13/2018

Marriage: 8/25/2018 

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 10/3/18

Biometrics: 10/30/18

Abena Kofi,

Knowing what I know now my recommendation would be to wait until you get the Package 3 from the embassy before getting your police report or medicals. Both are good for (at least) six months. If you get those things now you face the possibility of having them expire before your interview, although that's probably a low risk. I would be far less worried about losing time by doing everything right and just having to wait a little longer than having to lose time by something going wrong and have added expense on top of the lost time. I'm guessing, like us, you've already been waiting for some time, so a little longer will be all right, and certainly the final positive outcome will be worth all the waiting. I love that you encourage us to keep the faith, and I send the same encouragement back to you. With smart actions, prayers and patience we will be rewarded at the right time.

P.S. There have been people who say they never received any notification from the embassy about a package to be picked up. However, I think the embassy updated their notification method such that they email the sponsor (and maybe even the beneficiary) notifying them it's ready, so hopefully that process has improved. Right now, according to this website, http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/stats.php, the average number of days from the embassy in Ghana receiving the package from NVC and the date of the interview is 55 days. That's WAY DOWN from when I checked a couple of months ago and it was around 108 as I recall. If you don't hear about the Package 3 after 60 days from when you know it was received by the embassy in Ghana I'd try and contact them. I'm not sure of the best way to do that, and I've heard that it's not always that certain you'll get a response. We just need to stay vigilant and do what we can.

Wallace

Edited by Wallhut

Timeline

Right you are, best for us not to get so hasty during this stage. Agreed, hopefully things are improving - from reading some 2017 posts, the whole call-in vs email seemed to be a real mess. We are also hoping things get better with each day.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, know that it is very valuable! Here’s to a positive and productive week ahead. 

13 hours ago, AbenaKofi said:

Right you are, best for us not to get so hasty during this stage. Agreed, hopefully things are improving - from reading some 2017 posts, the whole call-in vs email seemed to be a real mess. We are also hoping things get better with each day.  Thank you for sharing your experiences, know that it is very valuable! Here’s to a positive and productive week ahead. 

My love has completed his medical police and DS160. I have harassed the Consular so many times they transfered me to a senior department. Today they contacted me that our packet 3 is now ready to be picked up in accra. Interview scheduled for April 30

KingDev,

I cannot say I think it's a good thing to harass the consular, but I hope all will go well for your fiance's interview. It's interesting because I just received an email today saying they are ready for my fiance to schedule his interview and attached a document about what to bring and with other instructions. I am surprised your fiance must physically go to the embassy for the Package 3 since I (the petitioner) received an email, which is what I was expecting to happen vs. my fiance having to travel to the embassy for the package. I have an issue, however, because when I tried to go back into the traveldocs website to schedule a new interview it said it did not recognize the transaction number from the GT Bank receipt, so I wrote to them asking if we will have to pay a new fee even though he was not allowed to have the interview the first time. I'm hoping they allow us to use the same fee for the new interview. I am currently waiting for a reply. So the embassy picked the date for your fiance's interview or did you pick the date?

Please let us all know how your interview goes, and thank you for keeping us updated on your progress.

Wallace

Edited by Wallhut

Timeline
40 minutes ago, KingDev said:

My love has completed his medical police and DS160. I have harassed the Consular so many times they transfered me to a senior department. Today they contacted me that our packet 3 is now ready to be picked up in accra. Interview scheduled for April 30

Oh good!  So glad you were able to get some movement there.  

12 minutes ago, Wallhut said:

KingDev,

I cannot say I think it's a good thing to harass the consular, but I hope all will go well for your fiance's interview. It's interesting because I just received an email today saying they are ready for my fiance to schedule his interview and attached a document about what to bring and with other instructions. I am surprised your fiance must physically go to the embassy for the Package 3 since I (the petitioner) received an email, which is what I was expecting to happen vs. my fiance having to travel to the embassy for the package. I have an issue, however, because when I tried to go back into the traveldocs website to schedule a new interview it said it did not recognize the transaction number from the GT Bank receipt, so I wrote to them asking if we will have to pay a new fee even though he was not allowed to have the interview the first time. I'm hoping they allow us to use the same fee for the new interview. I am currently waiting for a reply. So the embassy picked the date for your fiance's interview or did you pick the date?

Please let us all know how your interview goes, and thank you for keeping us updated on your progress.

Wallace

Oo wallace I told the consular we havent received anything so they said it is best for him to pick it up. At the consular i just called excessively and sent numerous emails 😔 We're  in this together. God bless us all!

Hi Success! I love your screen name. That shows positivity and I love it.

Keep in mind the "Packet 3" is simply an email that is sent to the petitioner. Our package went from the NVC to the embassy in late February and we just received our Package 3 email in late March, so for us it was about one month. I would not expect there to be a consistent time frame, though, because these things are uncertain and change regularly. There are many factors that go into the time frame for things to happen.

I would not take either action (Complete DS-160 or pay GT Bank fee) until you can see on the CEAC website that your case is in READY status. Once that is true I think you are safe to do those two things, but DO NOT schedule your interview until your petitioner receives the Package 3 email. I would even say at this time it is OK for the fiance to complete the medical exam and obtain the police report (if not already done) once the CEAC shows the case in READY status.

I sent an email request from with the traveldocs website two days ago asking if we can use the original bank fee since my fiance was turned away at his interview. That's the website where you actually schedule the interview. The website says they will answer within 1-2 business days, but it's nearing the end of the second day and I have not heard back, so today I sent my fiance enough money to pay a new GT Bank fee and receive a new invoice number to reschedule his interview. As you've probably seen, another visajourney member was in the same position and was told they must pay another fee, so I'm just proceeding because we want to reschedule the interview as soon as possible.

Just FYI - I'm attaching the document we received as part of the Package 3.

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on your progress. I wish you two all the success in the world!

Wallace

Instructions- K1 Application.pdf

Timeline

Hi Wallace,  

Thanks so much for posting the document you received.  We will also use this as a guide to get everything together while we wait.  

Best,

Abena

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 3/28/2018 at 12:58 PM, Wallhut said:

Hi Success! I love your screen name. That shows positivity and I love it.

Keep in mind the "Packet 3" is simply an email that is sent to the petitioner. Our package went from the NVC to the embassy in late February and we just received our Package 3 email in late March, so for us it was about one month. I would not expect there to be a consistent time frame, though, because these things are uncertain and change regularly. There are many factors that go into the time frame for things to happen.

I would not take either action (Complete DS-160 or pay GT Bank fee) until you can see on the CEAC website that your case is in READY status. Once that is true I think you are safe to do those two things, but DO NOT schedule your interview until your petitioner receives the Package 3 email. I would even say at this time it is OK for the fiance to complete the medical exam and obtain the police report (if not already done) once the CEAC shows the case in READY status.

I sent an email request from with the traveldocs website two days ago asking if we can use the original bank fee since my fiance was turned away at his interview. That's the website where you actually schedule the interview. The website says they will answer within 1-2 business days, but it's nearing the end of the second day and I have not heard back, so today I sent my fiance enough money to pay a new GT Bank fee and receive a new invoice number to reschedule his interview. As you've probably seen, another visajourney member was in the same position and was told they must pay another fee, so I'm just proceeding because we want to reschedule the interview as soon as possible.

Just FYI - I'm attaching the document we received as part of the Package 3.

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated on your progress. I wish you two all the success in the world!

Wallace

Instructions- K1 Application.pdf

Hey Wallace, hoping all keeps moving forward for you - we are praying for patience for us!  Wanted to know if you were able to reschedule your interview yet? We haven’t received packet 3 yet, but we did DS160 so when we went to check, there were no appointments available as of now. Hope you don’t have any trouble with yours! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.