AnythingButCommon

Marriage based AOS interview

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am right now in really stressful situation and would like to know if anyone had any experience /knowledge about it.

I am naturalized US citizen. Got my initial green card based on my first marriage which ended in less than two year. But I filed for condition waiver to extend my conditional green card and got 10 years green card without interview. I waited for five years and applied for citizenship and it got approved last year.

Yesterday, i had my wife's AOS interview. Here is my experience. 

IO (Interview officer) announced my wife's name in waiting area, We both went toward her. She asked for who is US citizen and asked to go with her separate. My wife was waiting outside. First question she asked me was, How did you received your citizenship. I asked that it was though my marriage to  US citizen's spouse. She asked what happened and why you got divorce.  I said that it didn't work out, we had conflicts and she wanted divorce. IO then asked me about how long did you lived together. We lived together for 5-6 months and then i had to moved to different state as got the job there. It was mutual decision and my ex wife was with me in that decision. IO replied that you only leave for 5 months which is not a marriage. IO started getting into dip on the topic. I explained OI that we were dating for over two years and when i moved to different state, i didn't had choice as it was for my job. IO replied that looks like it's fraud and i have to review your previous evidence. IO asked me that did you had interview when you applied for GC conditional waiver. I replied no and OI replied right away that where they screwed up at that time. IO said that you should be received interview and looks like your application should be canceled at that time. IO said that she will not make AOS decision today as she need to request my previous file and need to review it. If they find that i received my citizenship which the sham marriage, i could loose my citizenship and they will regent current AOS application as if i am not citizen, i can't apply for that. IO mentioned it twice that your citizenship could be taken away and you will be deported. She continue asking me about my first marriage and keep telling me that you only lived together for 5 months which is not a marriage. I answered those but probably have wrong year/timeline related to her questions. My first marriage was almost seven years ago and i was not at all prepared for those question. IO asked about is my current spouse and her family knows about my first marriage. I replied yes. There were may other question as well regarding my current arranged marriage and past marriage.  After some time, IO moved on and started asking me about my current marriage. IO had paper with all different questions like my spouse name, where din you met, how long did you dated, etc. There were about 30-40 questions in paper. I answered to all questions honestly. At the end IO said that she will not make decision today but will take my wife's interview. Now it's my wife's turn. She didn't know anything about what happened to me. My wife's interview went well. She was asked the same question regarding our marriage and my wife answered those correctly. IO also asked for photos and scanned those. Regarding my first marriage, IO only asked one question to my wife that Was she knew about my first marriage which she does. Our both's answer are consistent. My wife's interview went well. That's all. Now we left without any decision.

Now i am concern about so may different things. Looks like it was more interview about my first marriage. It was real marriage and i did nothing wrong. I didn't received interview during conditional removal but it wasn't my fault. I don't know what to expect now. I am scared now that looks like i could loose my citizenship and probably facing deportation.

I know i just have now wait and watch but i couldn't stop myself thinking about that i could loose my citizenship and probably have to leave country.Can they review my files/evidence from 5-6 year ago? What are possibility of denaturalization? What would be my option if they start denaturalization process? My wife and we both are really stress now and don't know what to think and what not to think.

Please help if anyone know of this type of case and what the possibility of me loosing my citizenship?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Of course they can review old files. There were cases with people loosing their citizenships when Uscis discovered some scams. 

I'm not saying it's going to happen to you but you just have to wait. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Exactly. If they do find something contradictory, fake, lies, fale information..., they can definately take action against you. Not saying this is happening or would happen; but they can yes.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Roel said:

Of course they can review old files. There were cases with people loosing their citizenships when Uscis discovered some scams. 

I'm not saying it's going to happen to you but you just have to wait. 

Thanks for your response.

I read online and i know USCIS can request denaturalization. US district attorney will have file a case in federal district court with burden of proofs. In my case i have not done anything wrong or there is no scam or anything like that. I know they won't take my words but i had submitted all evidence 6 years ago when i apply for waiver. I am just trying to understand that is it normal based on my scenario.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
22 minutes ago, AnythingButCommon said:

Hi Everyone,

I am right now in really stressful situation and would like to know if anyone had any experience /knowledge about it.

I am naturalized US citizen. Got my initial green card based on my first marriage which ended in less than two year. But I filed for condition waiver to extend my conditional green card and got 10 years green card without interview. I waited for five years and applied for citizenship and it got approved last year.

IO (Interview officer) announced my wife's name in waiting area, We both went toward her. She asked for who is US citizen and asked to go with her separate. My wife was waiting outside. First question she asked me was, How did you received your citizenship. I asked that it was though my marriage to  US citizen's spouse. She asked what happened and why you got divorce.  I said that it didn't work out, we had conflicts and she wanted divorce. IO then asked me about how long did you lived together. We lived together for 5-6 months and then i had to moved to different state as got the job there. It was mutual decision and my ex wife was with me in that decision. IO replied that you only leave for 5 months which is not a marriage. IO started getting into dip on the topic. I explained OI that we were dating for over two years and when i moved to different state, i didn't had choice as it was for my job. IO replied that looks like it's fraud and i have to review your previous evidence. IO asked me that did you had interview when you applied for GC conditional waiver. I replied no and OI replied right away that where they screwed up at that time. IO said that you should be received interview and looks like your application should be canceled at that time. IO said that she will not make AOS decision today as she need to request my previous file and need to review it. If they find that i received my citizenship which the sham marriage, i could loose my citizenship and they will regent current AOS application as if i am not citizen, i can't apply for that. IO mentioned it twice that your citizenship could be taken away and you will be deported. She continue asking me about my first marriage and keep telling me that you only lived together for 5 months which is not a marriage. I answered those but probably have wrong year/timeline related to her questions. My first marriage was almost seven years ago and i was not at all prepared for those question. IO asked about is my current spouse and her family knows about my first marriage. I replied yes. There were may other question as well regarding my current arranged marriage and past marriage.  After some time, IO moved on and started asking me about my current marriage. IO had paper with all different questions like my spouse name, where din you met, how long did you dated, etc. There were about 30-40 questions in paper. I answered to all questions honestly. At the end IO said that she will not make decision today but will take my wife's interview. Now it's my wife's turn. She didn't know anything about what happened to me. My wife's interview went well. She was asked the same question regarding our marriage and my wife answered those correctly. IO also asked for photos and scanned those. Regarding my first marriage, IO only asked one question to my wife that Was she knew about my first marriage which she does. Our both's answer are consistent. My wife's interview went well. That's all. Now we left without any decision.

Now i am concern about so may different things. Looks like it was more interview about my first marriage. It was real marriage and i did nothing wrong. I didn't received interview during conditional removal but it wasn't my fault. I don't know what to expect now. I am scared now that looks like i could loose my citizenship and probably facing deportation.

I know i just have now wait and watch but i couldn't stop myself thinking about that i could loose my citizenship and probably have to leave country.Can they review my files/evidence from 5-6 year ago? What are possibility of denaturalization? What would be my option if they start denaturalization process? My wife and we both are really stress now and don't know what to think and what not to think.

Please help if anyone know of this type of case and what the possibility of me loosing my citizenship?

my opinion is that as long as the first marriage was real and you know theres nothing funny there, your evidence will speak for you. the only problem you may have is if your ex had filed a report or won't back you up.

AOS from B2

05/25/2021 GC 10 years

02/26/2024 N - 400

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Rmsean said:

my opinion is that as long as the first marriage was real and you know theres nothing funny there, your evidence will speak for you. the only problem you may have is if your ex had filed a report or won't back you up.

Thanks Rmsean for response.

I am not in contact with my ex since divorce and i don't know if she filed a report or not but i know the person and she get contacted by USCIS, she will definitely not back my case. But i have all submitted all proof like join bank account, insurance, beneficiary document. We were dated for over two year and after marriage, we were living separate but i was visiting her every week and i had photos of all family gathering, new year, chrismas, etc.

As per IO, i should be getting interview at the time of condition removal but i didn't got.It wasn't my fault but now i am married and having new life and all of sudden this.It's very stressful.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, AnythingButCommon said:

Thanks Rmsean for response.

I am not in contact with my ex since divorce and i don't know if she filed a report or not but i know the person and she get contacted by USCIS, she will definitely not back my case. But i have all submitted all proof like join bank account, insurance, beneficiary document. We were dated for over two year and after marriage, we were living separate but i was visiting her every week and i had photos of all family gathering, new year, chrismas, etc.

As per IO, i should be getting interview at the time of condition removal but i didn't got.It wasn't my fault but now i am married and having new life and all of sudden this.It's very stressful.

ok then. good luck. 

AOS from B2

05/25/2021 GC 10 years

02/26/2024 N - 400

Of course they can review past files. Any flags in that marriage.. different cultures/religion, age difference, her previous marriages if any?

Living together just 5 months after marriage, and moving out without the spouse would stand out. 

How did your current wife get to the US? 

Edited by WeGuyGal

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Timeline
7 minutes ago, WeGuyGal said:

Of course they can review past files. Any flags in that marriage.. different cultures/religion, age difference, her previous marriages if any?

Living together just 5 months after marriage, and moving out without the spouse would stand out. 

How did your current wife get to the US? 

Thanks WeGuyGal for your response.

About my previous marriage, We didn't had red flag except we only lived together for 5 months but we were dating for over 2 years and even after we were not living together, we were in communication. I can understand that just lived 5 months raise a red flag but but we entered in marriage with good intention and we had our first interview together at that time which apporved. We had enough evidences to prove bona fide marriage. I moved to different state after 5 moths because of work. How much it stand in their eye that we entered in marriage with good faith regardless of how many months we lived together. I know it would be tough to know.

My current wife came to US on F1 visa. We got married after 5 months of her arrival and file for her AOS after 9 months of her arrival.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
2 hours ago, AnythingButCommon said:

Hi Everyone,

You have nothing to worry about if you first marriage was bona fide. The bar for de-naturalization is EXTREMELY HIGH and unless they have much more than suspections of an IO you will be fine.

Just now, azblk said:

You have nothing to worry about if you first marriage was bona fide. The bar for de-naturalization is EXTREMELY HIGH and unless they have much more than suspections of an IO you will be fine.

Could be an issue if USCIS does get in touch with the ex-wife who, in OP's own words, would definitely not back up OP's version

I-751 journey

8 minutes ago, AnythingButCommon said:

Thanks WeGuyGal for your response.

About my previous marriage, We didn't had red flag except we only lived together for 5 months but we were dating for over 2 years and even after we were not living together, we were in communication. I can understand that just lived 5 months raise a red flag but but we entered in marriage with good intention and we had our first interview together at that time which apporved. We had enough evidences to prove bona fide marriage. I moved to different state after 5 moths because of work. How much it stand in their eye that we entered in marriage with good faith regardless of how many months we lived together. I know it would be tough to know.

My current wife came to US on F1 visa. We got married after 5 months of her arrival and file for her AOS after 9 months of her arrival.

Umm.. different cultures/religion, age difference, her previous marriages if any?

I-751 journey

Did you already know your current wife when you were still married to the wife number 1? They might think you got married to US wife just to later be able to sponsor your current wife. Worst case scenario, I guess.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline
Just now, WeGuyGal said:

Could be an issue if USCIS does get in touch with the ex-wife who, in OP's own words, would definitely not back up OP's version

Even if they did it will take a lot more than the word of a jilted spouse to revoke someones citizenship. The reason there is ROC after 2 years, then citizenship after 5 years is to catch the frauds. Unless they can show that somehow he shouldn't have gotten a green card at the start of the process. He will be fine. It may take a while but ultimately he should be ok.

Timeline

IT MIGHT ALSO JUST BE A WAY TO SHAE YOU UP AND SEE IF IT WAS REAL AND NOT FAKE. ITS A GOOD THING YOUR CURRENT WIFE WAS AWARE AND ANSWERED CORRECTLY. MIGHT JUST BE MIND GAMES AND REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY. MY OPINION THOUGH. MY THOUGHT IS HOPE FOR THE BEST BUT PREPARE FOR THE WORST. 

AOS from B2

05/25/2021 GC 10 years

02/26/2024 N - 400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.