Jack2018

Filipino working in China

24 posts in this topic

Wow, by reading some of the posts here, there seems to be some real experts. I'm kind of embarrassed not knowing or keeping up with some of  the lingo but here goes.

My girlfriend is from the Philippines but works in China on a work visa. She wants to come here to the U.S on a tourist visa to visit me. So the questions are:

1. Does she apply for the tourist visa at the Philippine embassy in China or does he have to go back the philippines to apply?

2. Does it make it easier for her to get a tourist visa since she already has a work visa for china?

Any tips or suggestions is appreciated. Not sure what the odds are for her getting a tourist visa to the U.S. but hopefully someone who has a similar experience can give me an idea.

Thanks

1) neither, she applies at the us embassy in China.

2) Not necessarily, to get a visa she has to show ties that mean she won’t overstay. One tie can be her job and the fact that she has abided by the immigration laws of another country. Unfortunately her ties to the US are also strong, you basically and they are required to assume she has immigrant intent.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

To obtain a Tourist Visa to the USA she must prove significant ties to either her home country or her country of residence.  In other words, she has to prove that she has a legitimate reason to LEAVE the USA after her visit.   She can apply in China if she likes as she has a valid residence there.   However, she (and you) should not get your hopes up.  She has demonstrated that she has no significant ties to the Philippines by nature of the fact that she's working in China..  Her best hope is that her Job in China is of such importance (and Salary) and that would have a very compelling reason to return to it.  If the job is a low paying (by US standards) service job her chances are almost ZERO.  There is no harm in her trying.  A denial does not count against her if you subsequently apply for a K-1 (Fiancee Visa) for her.    If she does attempt it then Advise her that she must be 100% honest with the application and the interview.  Any attempt to obtain a visa thru playing loose with the truth could have very serious complications for the two of you if you decide to move toward marriage and her immigrating to the USA.  

There is nothing YOU can do to improve her chances.. Any attempt on your part to provide something like an 'invitation letter' is likely to hurt her chances more than help..  

In my opinion, it would be much better for you to travel to her..  The $160 application fee could be used instead for hotel costs or several nice meals out..  Also depends a bit on where she is in China as to how far she'd have to travel to get to an Embassy or Consulate for an interview.   Could be a LOT of travel in a country as big as China.

41 minutes ago, Jack2018 said:

Wow, by reading some of the posts here, there seems to be some real experts. I'm kind of embarrassed not knowing or keeping up with some of  the lingo but here goes.

My girlfriend is from the Philippines but works in China on a work visa. She wants to come here to the U.S on a tourist visa to visit me. So the questions are:

1. Does she apply for the tourist visa at the Philippine embassy in China or does he have to go back the philippines to apply?

2. Does it make it easier for her to get a tourist visa since she already has a work visa for china?

Any tips or suggestions is appreciated. Not sure what the odds are for her getting a tourist visa to the U.S. but hopefully someone who has a similar experience can give me an idea.

Thanks

Not really any tips. pay the fees and hope she gets lucky.

My sister in law whom is working in Singapore and is from Philippines just applied couple of weeks ago. She applied in Singapore Embassy for a US tourist visa, of course she was denied.

She was told they wouldn't be issuing her a Tourist Visa at this time.  She has traveled to Thailand, Malaysia and never overstayed.

It is an uphill battle to get a Tourist Visa for many if you come from the Philippines.

Edited by Chris Duffy

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

1) She applies for a US visa at a US embassy or consulate. Technically this can be at pretty much any US embassy/consulate, but the one where she currently resides would be the one to be able to best assess her ties to leave the US without violating status.

2) The visa won't help, but documented travel abroad can be a bit of a help. It would probably be more helpful if she had traveled extensively and/or to countries like the UK or Canada, but it is what it is. She applies, pays the fee, and finds out the results.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 hours ago, geowrian said:

1) She applies for a US visa at a US embassy or consulate. Technically this can be at pretty much any US embassy/consulate, but the one where she currently resides would be the one to be able to best assess her ties to leave the US without violating status.

2) The visa won't help, but documented travel abroad can be a bit of a help. It would probably be more helpful if she had traveled extensively and/or to countries like the UK or Canada, but it is what it is. She applies, pays the fee, and finds out the results.

My sister in laws boyfriend was issued a Tourist Visa to Australia and stayed like 6 months there, he has also traveled to Thailand a handful of times, he is a surfer and owns his own small business in Philippines.

He applied for a Tourist Visa to USA from Philippines, and told them his purpose was to ride the waves off California coast, of course he was shot down as well.  I would of thought with his travel history they would of granted him a Tourist Visa to USA.

2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

My sister in laws boyfriend was issued a Tourist Visa to Australia and stayed like 6 months there, he has also traveled to Thailand a handful of times, he is a surfer and owns his own small business in Philippines.

He applied for a Tourist Visa to USA from Philippines, and told them his purpose was to ride the waves off California coast, of course he was shot down as well.  I would of thought with his travel history they would of granted him a Tourist Visa to USA.

I think very often “own his own small business” is a huge red flag, especially if it’s something that’s easily transplanted. Staying 6 months in Australia probably wasn’t a huge help in showing ties to the Philippines either. Not that surprised tbh that background got refused.

A decent job employed by someone else is much more likely to get you a visa. If the job in China fits the bill it will certainly be a help, even if nothing is guaranteed. 

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I think very often “own his own small business” is a huge red flag, especially if it’s something that’s easily transplanted. Staying 6 months in Australia probably wasn’t a huge help in showing ties to the Philippines either. Not that surprised tbh that background got refused.

A decent job employed by someone else is much more likely to get you a visa. If the job in China fits the bill it will certainly be a help, even if nothing is guaranteed. 

He owns a gas station,  which is a profitable business in the Philippines, Similar to owning a McDonalds on the USA.  You own a two or three gas stations and you are pretty rich there.

34 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I was talking to him last time I was in Philippines, His father worked on base at Subic Bay.  When they closed it down in the early 90's his father was offered a plane ride to USA and somehow was able to get US Citizenship.   His mother didn't want or allow him to go to USA, I think he was around 14 years old at the time, he said he would help his father out on base.

I am thinking his parents were estranged at that time.

3 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I'm sorry to hear that he was denied.

The travel history does help, but is just one piece of the puzzle. Specifically, I would presume the travel raised more concern than helping it since the job isn't a strong tie if he left it behind for 6 months.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

54 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

He owns a gas station,  which is a profitable business in the Philippines, Similar to owning a McDonalds on the USA.  You own a two or three gas stations and you are pretty rich there.

Yet he can spend 6 months in Australia so it’s not a clear tie at all.... maybe the US CO is thinking he will stay in the US too while whoever manages his gas station in his absence continues to do so. 

From my own experience getting tourist visas against a background with red flags, including expressed immigrant intent and a parent USC, a good job that you need to go back to is most important. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

6 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yet he can spend 6 months in Australia so it’s not a clear tie at all.... maybe the US CO is thinking he will stay in the US too while whoever manages his gas station in his absence continues to do so. 

From my own experience getting tourist visas against a background with red flags, including expressed immigrant intent and a parent USC, a good job that you need to go back to is most important. 

Gas station is recent, He went to Australia a few years ago.

Time marches on...........

9 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I'm sorry to hear that he was denied.

The travel history does help, but is just one piece of the puzzle. Specifically, I would presume the travel raised more concern than helping it since the job isn't a strong tie if he left it behind for 6 months.

It don't bother me he was denied, I just had always heard if one could establish a good travel history then it would help.

Guess in his case it didn't.

From what I have seen in the Philippines, Either the old or the rich can get a Tourist Visa, the rest are out of luck.......

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been to the US Embassy in Manilla twice with my now wife and she also went once by herself. I was beyond frustrated and actually mad as we were denied three times.....Yeah I am that guy. I talked to several employees  and security guards and three of them told me it is like in America ...what do you call them a speed trap? Everyone here today approx 1500 people paid $160 US do the math they said. As a US citizen I am not even allowed at the window to plead my case. She by the way was in an expensive nursing school getting straight As' and owned a boarding house....denied. I agree with others save your money. Nobody would wave their  tourist Visa shouting hip hip hooray, but you could tell who was granted a tourist visa. As stated earlier..either very old or very rich. Sorry but this process is what it is and my opinion if they change immigration.. the 1.8 M  Dreamers good for them ,the rest of us 

Screwed.. no more chain migration, meaning sons, daughters mom, dads...NO

makes me too sad this was a melting pot of nations.

Rant over

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

US citizens do not need a visa to enter the US.

1,500 a day, say 400,000 a year, normally issued for 10 years, so that is 4,000,000 PI Tourists the US is missing out on.

Seems the average spend per tourist is $2,000 so assuming one visit per year that is $8 Billion!

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.