Solano

Can Mother and underage child be in the same applicaton?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am not replying to this topic, instead a am asking another question related.

My wife became a USC recently. With this nonsense of changing the law and the possibility of eliminating the chain migration, my wife is thinking about filing an application to petition for her mother. Until here there is not problem. The issue is that the mother has two children: one is 23yo and the other 14yo. The question is if both children have to wait to come to America much longer after their mom comes to America or if the youngest can be included in the application.

Thank you for your comments.

14 minutes ago, Solano said:

I am not replying to this topic, instead a am asking another question related.

My wife became a USC recently. With this nonsense of changing the law and the possibility of eliminating the chain migration, my wife is thinking about filing an application to petition for her mother. Until here there is not problem. The issue is that the mother has two children: one is 23yo and the other 14yo. The question is if both children have to wait to come to America much longer after their mom comes to America or if the youngest can be included in the application.

Thank you for your comments.

The mother would take ~1 year to get the visa. Then she can petition both children after coming to the US on the visa.

The 14yo would take ~2 years from then. This category may not exist if there is immigration reform.

The 23yo would take ~7-10 years from then and they must remain unmarried (at least until she becomes a USC).

Neither child can be included on the petition...derivative beneficiaries do not exist in the immediate relative category (i.e. parents).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No child is included in a petition for a parent.  The mother would get a visa about a year after the petition if filed.  The mother then could petition the younger child with a wait of about 2 years.  The mother could petition the other sibling with a wait of about 8 years.  If your wife petitions siblings the wait is 15 years.  

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

First your wife should petition for your mother and afterwards,mother should apply for childrens.

that would be easy and fast.

No one can be added in anyone petition.

There is a separate petition for everyone

13 minutes ago, Jane Hat said:

It doesnt make sense. Why all immigrants can come to US with kids, but the only ones who are not allowed to do it (even if they have underage children) are the  US citizen parents. That is not fair at all.

USC petitioners for a minor child have no wait for a visa (only processing times) and are eligible for all kinds of waivers and such.

LPRs can bring minor children, but have to wait a couple years to do so. Or they can bring them as a derivative, but whoever they're bringing as the primary beneficiary has at least as long of a wait first, so it's not any faster.

LPRs cannot even bring parents.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

14 minutes ago, Jane Hat said:

It doesnt make sense. Why all immigrants can come to US with kids, but the only ones who are not allowed to do it (even if they have underage children) are the  US citizen parents. That is not fair at all.

I’m not sure I understood this post correctly' but if I did: US citizens’ parents can indeed get green cards, once their children turn 21 and can sponsor them. (Every green card applicant basically needs an adult sponsor.) What exactly is not fair? That people can’t use anchor babies?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Jane Hat said:

If immigration reform goes Trumps way ,  a USC won't be able to petition parents and the problem will be solved  ( they also won't be able to petition siblings so another issue solved ) 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

53 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’m not sure I understood this post correctly' but if I did: US citizens’ parents can indeed get green cards, once their children turn 21 and can sponsor them. (Every green card applicant basically needs an adult sponsor.) What exactly is not fair? That people can’t use anchor babies?

You are talking about parents who are living illegally in US. with kids who are citizens. That is not what I am talking about!

I am talking about F1-Parents, that is the only category that doesn't allow immigrants to come with kids, which makes no sense to me because the rest of people in all other categories are allowed to bring kids. 

Edited by Jane Hat

1 hour ago, Jane Hat said:

You are talking about parents who are living illegally in US. with kids who are citizens. That is not what I am talking about!

I am talking about F1-Parents, that is the only category that doesn't allow immigrants to come with kids, which makes no sense to me because the rest of people in all other categories are allowed to bring kids. 

Well, to be honest lots isn’t “fair” about immigration, not just this. If the parents being sponsored have minor kids they don’t want to leave behind, they have the option of not immigrating. No one is forcing them. Or, they can come and then sponsor them and wait like other LPRs sponsoring minor children have to. Isn’t that fair?

Edited by SusieQQQ

11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, to be honest lots isn’t “fair” about immigration, not just this. If the parents being sponsored have minor kids they don’t want to leave behind, they have the option of not immigrating. No one is forcing them. Or, they can come and then sponsor them and wait like other LPRs sponsoring minor children have to. Isn’t that fair?

Sure! 

6 minutes ago, Kpertuz said:

hi everbody,

I would like to claim my mother. i am usa citizen but i want her interview here in Orlando. What can i do? also, I need the inf for her application if it is possible. i will appreciate it.

1. Please create your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
  2. I assume you mean "petition" her, not "claim" her. Is she physically located in the US right now?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

1 hour ago, Kpertuz said:

I am not hijacking this thread. you are rude saying that. thank you for your inf.

No, he is not rude.  “Hijacking” is the term used when someone comes onto an existing thread and posts their own question, thus derailing it from the person who started it. In some forums it’s ok to extend a thread with similar questions, but on Visajourney you are required to start your own if you have your own question rather than commenting on the existing question/conversation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.