Kaetaa

Tourist Visa for Fiancee + 2 parents while K1 Pending

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I know getting a tourist visa for a fiancee when the K1 is pending is pretty rare, but I wanted to know if our chances increase when we throw in her parents? Her parents want to meet my parents in the USA and want to apply for a tourist visa - but they don't speak English and them coming without their daughter would be a waste of time. They have jobs/obligations/house/cars etc. in their home country so I don't see why they would get rejected.

We will be honest with the interviewer about the pending K1 and explain that the parents want to meet the parents BEFORE the future wedding. Has anyone been in this situation? I know most long time posters on this site will say "tourist visa during K1 is impossible, move on", but I don't think that's the case - it's just more difficult.

She is from China, if that helps.

Timeline

I forgot to mention that the interviews aren't exactly solo when applying for a family in China. You sit together during the interviews, but do individually get asked questions. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You will never know until you try

We fully intend to try, I'm just hoping other people have been in the same situation because it is pretty stressful. My fiancee doesn't have a job at the moment and lives with her parents. She most definitely would be denied if she was applying solo.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nobody can say yes or no to the result as it is all up to the CO and how you present the information that is being requested and respond to the questions asked.

Are her chances improved?  possibly.... Remember however, each visa applicant must qualify on there own merits 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

Yep, I know. Is there a chance the parents get approved and she doesn't? That would suck but it'd be better than all 3 getting denied because the parents will visit USA eventually.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Of course, individual applications.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

59 minutes ago, Kaetaa said:

What if my fiancee doesn't tell them about me? Just says she is going to America with her parents to travel? Would they ever find out? 

Most likely. But not telling them or trying to lie or deceive them about the trip's intent will not end well at all. They can see that you have a pending petition.  They will almost certainly ask what you will be doing in the US and where you will be going, and/or if you know anybody in the US (and who they are, if so).

Furthermore, if the visas were somehow granted anyway, what do you think would happen at K-1 interview when they see that she never even mentioned a US fiance during the previous interview (and/or that she didn't use the tourist visa for the reason stated in the interview)?

The penalty for material misrepresentation is a permanent (waivable) bar on any visa. Never lie to or try to deceive a CO.

It's not material misrepresentation to not disclose information unless asked, but 1) questions are likely to require disclosing the relationship and/or trip's intention, and 2) her credibility will be shot with the K-1 visa interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Most likely. But not telling them or trying to lie or deceive them about the trip's intent will not end well at all. They can see that you have a pending petition.  They will almost certainly ask what you will be doing in the US and where you will be going, and/or if you know anybody in the US (and who they are, if so).

Furthermore, if the visas were somehow granted anyway, what do you think would happen at K-1 interview when they see that she never even mentioned a US fiance during the previous interview (and/or that she didn't use the tourist visa for the reason stated in the interview)?

The penalty for material misrepresentation is a permanent (waivable) bar on any visa. Never lie to or try to deceive a CO.

It's not material misrepresentation to not disclose information unless asked, but 1) questions are likely to require disclosing the relationship and/or trip's intention, and 2) her credibility will be shot with the K-1 visa interview.

It is a believed fact that the petition can be seen.  Is this a known fact that the databases are linked?

YMMV

57 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It is a believed fact that the petition can be seen.  Is this a known fact that the databases are linked?

Yes, I’ve seen this before personally, I applied via mail for B visas for my minor children (didn’t need to be interviewed at that age and both parents had existing unexpired visas), I got a call from the consulate to come for an interview for that application, which turned out to be because they picked up that the children's grandfather (my dad) had filed an F3 petition for me. The kids obviously weren’t even named in that petition yet but they still picked it up. This was about 7 or 8 years ago, and I’d assume if anything the databases are more rather than less efficient now.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Why even entertain the thought of lying? You don't have to volunteer the information but if asked directly she should tell the truth.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Kaetaa, do not lie.  Ever.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
11 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Kaetaa, do not lie.  Ever.

I had no intention, don't worry. Was just curious.

Mostly it's the "if I don't bring it up, is it still considered lying?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is on the application.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.