16 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

That's your answer to his question? Very constructive.

OP, I have no idea but have you contacted the US embassy or consulate in Jordan?

Edited by Ontarkie
removed quote

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, Azaam Salem said:

Hi to everyone,

I am a U.S. citizenship by birth and my pregnant wife is a alien currently awaiting her immigration visa in Jordan. I don't think she will be done before she gives birth. What are the steps to apply for my newborn son to apply for citizenship and how long does it take? 

Your baby will be a US citizen by law since you are a US citizen. If any one of the parents is a US citizen, their child also becomes one automatically. It doesn't matter where the child is born (in US or outside). I think that partially answers your question. So now to answer your other question: how to bring your child to the US, I think it will be better if he/she comes with your wife after her immigrant visa is granted. You can always request to expedite your case if you do not want to wait. I don't know how far along are you in the process. Are you going through USCIS or NVC or the consulate? Depending upon this, you can contact respective department to expedite your case. But the good news is you should not have to apply for your child's citizenship.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this should not be construed for legal advice. Please contact a legal person/lawyer to further actions.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
2 hours ago, gagan_usa said:

Your baby will be a US citizen by law since you are a US citizen. If any one of the parents is a US citizen, their child also becomes one automatically. It doesn't matter where the child is born (in US or outside). I think that partially answers your question. So now to answer your other question: how to bring your child to the US, I think it will be better if he/she comes with your wife after her immigrant visa is granted. You can always request to expedite your case if you do not want to wait. I don't know how far along are you in the process. Are you going through USCIS or NVC or the consulate? Depending upon this, you can contact respective department to expedite your case. But the good news is you should not have to apply for your child's citizenship.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this should not be construed for legal advice. Please contact a legal person/lawyer to further actions.

Only if the USC lived in the US for at least 5 years (2 of which after age 14).

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

5 hours ago, gagan_usa said:

Thanks for this information. It has helped me alot understand the procedure more clearly. We are currently with NVC as we are almost done with the NVC as far as I can guess. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Off Topic post removed. Stick to answering the OP or Do not post.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
18 hours ago, Italian_in_NYC said:

Only if the USC lived in the US for at least 5 years (2 of which after age 14).

OP is a born US citizen, so it's certain he meets this criteria.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
11 minutes ago, gagan_usa said:

OP is a born US citizen, so it's certain he meets this criteria.

Not necessarily. Many kids are born in the US from foreign parents and then move back to their countries before age 14.

Edited by Italian_in_NYC

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: Timeline
On 12/21/2017 at 11:36 AM, gagan_usa said:

Several errors in this post. First, all children born to a US citizen abroad are not automatically US citizens. The US citizen parent must meet physical presence requirements. That means, the US citizen parent has to have been physically present in the US for a total of 5 years, two of which were after the citizen turned 14 years old. Second, pregnancy is usually not a cause for expediting the process by either USCIS or NVC, unless there are serious medical issues with the pregnancy. And, lastly, even if the US citizen parent meets the physical presence requirement, there is still a process that they need to follow to document that. It is not accurate to say "...you should not have to apply for your child citizenship". You will need to apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad to document that citizenship.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
56 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Several errors in this post. First, all children born to a US citizen abroad are not automatically US citizens. The US citizen parent must meet physical presence requirements. That means, the US citizen parent has to have been physically present in the US for a total of 5 years, two of which were after the citizen turned 14 years old. Second, pregnancy is usually not a cause for expediting the process by either USCIS or NVC, unless there are serious medical issues with the pregnancy. And, lastly, even if the US citizen parent meets the physical presence requirement, there is still a process that they need to follow to document that. It is not accurate to say "...you should not have to apply for your child citizenship". You will need to apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad to document that citizenship.

He did say it was not legal advice :mellow:

US Citizens need to enter the US on a US passport.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 hours ago, jan22 said:

Thank you. Do you know if my child can travel to the US with a CRBA whilst waiting for his passport and how long does a passport usually take to be completed? I am trying to bring my family as soon as I can as we are separated since I have to return to my job.

Child needs a US passport to travel

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, Azaam Salem said:

Thank you. Do you know if my child can travel to the US with a CRBA whilst waiting for his passport and how long does a passport usually take to be completed? I am trying to bring my family as soon as I can as we are separated since I have to return to my job.

You will need to get a passport.  You can apply at the same time as you apply for the CRBA.  They will adjudicate the CRBA and, as long as US citizenship is transmitted, the passport can be processed at the same time -- with a passport application and fee payment, of course. They take about the same amount of time to be processed and received, so it shouldn't slow you down much, if at all.

1 hour ago, jan22 said:

You will need to get a passport.  You can apply at the same time as you apply for the CRBA.  They will adjudicate the CRBA and, as long as US citizenship is transmitted, the passport can be processed at the same time -- with a passport application and fee payment, of course. They take about the same amount of time to be processed and received, so it shouldn't slow you down much, if at all.

How many weeks do you think it will take? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.