TabeaK

I-751 January 2018

3,431 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, JulianaGigi said:

Hi everyone and happy Friday!

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that my husband received, in yesterday's mail (Aug 16), the 18 month extension letter from CSC. The letter described the delay in processing times and also explained that with the extension letter, along with the expired conditional green card, he is able to work and travel. The irony is that we actually got all excited about....having to wait again. Hahaha.... :-)

However, knowing through this helpful forum that we appear to be following the same path down this journey, is reassuring and comforting.  

My questions is about the traveling.... We would like to travel to Italy for the holidays and we are not holding our breath that come December my husband will have his permanent residency card, should we still need to make the appointment at the local USCIS office for the InfoPass stamp on his Aussie passport? I have read very little on topics surrounding the InfoPass and I am interpreting this to be only necessary for when after the NOA extension dates (18 months) have expired as well. Am I understanding this correctly? I would greatly appreciate feedback and comments. :-)

From what I have read in other's comments, many Local offices will not grant the I-551 stamp in an I-751 applicant's passport until their extension letter date is within 30 days of expiring. That is the primary reason that USCIS is issuing the 18-month extension letter, because they know the one year is no longer sufficient time, and they are trying to avoid having their local offices overrun with petitioners needing stamps.

From personal experience, my wife traveled back to her home country of South Korea this past June, on a 30-day visit, and had No Troubles or delays at all, when traveling with her expired Green Card and accompanying 12-month extension letter.

13 minutes ago, Tom and SooGyeong said:

From what I have read in other's comments, many Local offices will not grant the I-551 stamp in an I-751 applicant's passport until their extension letter date is within 30 days of expiring. That is the primary reason that USCIS is issuing the 18-month extension letter, because they know the one year is no longer sufficient time, and they are trying to avoid having their local offices overrun with petitioners needing stamps.

From personal experience, my wife traveled back to her home country of South Korea this past June, on a 30-day visit, and had No Troubles or delays at all, when traveling with her expired Green Card and accompanying 12-month extension letter.

Keep in mind one thing, if you decide to go get a stamp in your passport, the first letter you got from the immigration which extends your status for 12 months (can't recall the name of the letter), will become invalid. Whenever you need to confirm your legal status, you will show your expired Green Card together with the stamp from the passport.. Also, the stamp is valid for 6 months which means that a month before it supposed to expire you will have to make new appointment and go to the immigration office where you will get a new 6 months stamp extension. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
44 minutes ago, mosood said:

Any Han 2018 CSC fillers have got the 18 month extension letter???

Nope

germangirlintheusa.blogspot.com

~~~ mrandmrsBRS Visa journey ~~~

Service Center: Vermont

Embassy: Frankfurt/Germany

Marriage: 2014-12-30

I-130 sent: 2015-1-5

I-130 Noa 1: 2015-1-12

I-130 approved: 2015-6-10

Your I-130 was approved in 149 days from your NOA 1 date.

NVC: 2015-7-8

AOS bill: 2015-8-4

AOS P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

IV bill: 2015-9-15

IV P.: 2015-9-22 (e-mail, PDF)

Case Complete: 2015-10-12 (2015-12-07)

Supervisor Review 2015-11-02Called NVC 2015-12-07 (no longer under supervisor review, waiting for an Interview Date)

Medical: 2016-1-7

Interview Frankfurt: 2016-1-19 (called NVC 2015-12-14) APPROVED :dancing: :wub:

POE: 2016-2-9 ATL (Atlanta)

5 hours ago, Mena28 said:

Yep, I got it too (Vermont), showed up in the mail yesterday. I was actually impressed that they are being proactive now, rather than let people run into employment/travel issues in early 2019. They might be slow, but at least they thought ahead!

Personally, I am not currently planning on applying for citizenship, but I am curious what tipped the scales for people to want to do it? Do your countries/ your SO's countries allow dual citizenship or are you giving up the original citizenship?

Spouse's country allows for dual citizenship and he is irritated that he has lost the ability to vote (can't vote in home country and can't vote here). No politics at play here; he thinks voting is important at all levels wherever you live.

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

4 hours ago, JulianaGigi said:

Hi everyone and happy Friday!

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that my husband received, in yesterday's mail (Aug 16), the 18 month extension letter from CSC. The letter described the delay in processing times and also explained that with the extension letter, along with the expired conditional green card, he is able to work and travel. The irony is that we actually got all excited about....having to wait again. Hahaha.... 🙂

However, knowing through this helpful forum that we appear to be following the same path down this journey, is reassuring and comforting.  

My questions is about the traveling.... We would like to travel to Italy for the holidays and we are not holding our breath that come December my husband will have his permanent residency card, should we still need to make the appointment at the local USCIS office for the InfoPass stamp on his Aussie passport? I have read very little on topics surrounding the InfoPass and I am interpreting this to be only necessary for when after the NOA extension dates (18 months) have expired as well. Am I understanding this correctly? I would greatly appreciate feedback and comments. 🙂

ps....as for the citizenship application. We haven't really discussed this, but when we get to that bridge we will most likely address it.

For what it's worth, and this is totally anecdotal,  my spouse has has no trouble travelling abroad and returning with passport, the expired green card and the original 12 month letter. I don't expect that to change with the 18 month letter and we don't plan to get the stamp unless we get to 17 months and still no green card (or naturalization).

Edited by skeltzer

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

9 hours ago, YecaCruz said:

What tips the scales for us:

Husband will not loose citizenship by getting another one. I read through the Nicaraguan constitution just to make sure of that

We plan to not live in the US after he gets citizenship so we want the ease of traveling hither-to and thither-to with a US passport instead of hoping we get a tourist visa

We don't want to go back to immigrations every 10-ish years. Also the fee costs keep rising. Save that moolah and go out to eat instead. huzzah for HU-HOT or Johnny Carinos!

But this is 'cause he can't have his taken away as a natural-born Nica citizen. Obviously some countries don't allow for this as some others have explained.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do multiquote while also turning the page... oh well.

Good point about being able to just have dual citizenship to be able to move without having to go through immigration yet again.

My country only allows dual citizenship if you go through an approval process with them before applying for another one - and even then it's not 100% apparently. So I am just not feeling like having to do the paperwork right now. Maybe it will change one day if we decide we want to move back and forth as well 🙂

5 hours ago, skeltzer said:

Spouse's country allows for dual citizenship and he is irritated that he has lost the ability to vote (can't vote in home country and can't vote here). No politics at play here; he thinks voting is important at all levels wherever you live.

Good point. 

I filed at CSC and I received my 18 mo extension letter today. Notice date is 8/11

Our K1 Timeline:
9/4/2014 - Package sent to USCIS in Texas
9/12/2014 - Received NOA 1
10/19/2014 - Received NOA 2
10/31/2014 - Received Manila Case number
11/5/2014 - CEAC status updated to Ready
11/14/2014 - Paid Visa fee via BPI
12/3/2014 - Received Packet 3 from US Embassy Manila
1/13-14, 2015 - Finished 2 day medical exam at SLEC
2/9/2015 - US Embassy Interview done and approved
2/12/2015 - CEAC status updated to Issued
2/18/2015 - Picked up passport with Visa from 2Go
3/16/2015 - CFO
4/19/15 - POE
6/16/15 - Got married! ❤️

AOS:

12/22/15 - Sent AOS package via local post office

01/05/16 - Received I-797C for EAD, Travel Permit, and AOS via mail

01/29/16 - Biometrics

3/14/16 - AOS approved (no interview)

3/18/16 - Received Green card in the mail

4/03/16 - Baby T is here! ❤️

ROC:

1/25/18 - Sent ROC package via local post office

1/29/18 - Received I-797

5/05/18 - Received No Biometrics notice

8/11/18 - Received 18 mo extension letter

2/28/19 - ROC approved

3/08/19 - Received Green card in the mail

N-400

8/2/2020 - Submitted form and paid online

12/14/2020 - Biometric Reuse notice

1/4/2021 - Interview Notice

2/23/2021 - Interview Schedule

3/22/2021 - Oath Taking Ceremony

We are also CSC filers from January, and received our (replacement) 18-month extension receipt yesterday, with a NOA date of 8-11-18.

( think of it as a 6-month deferment of needing the I-551 Passport stamp, as I am guessing that most of us will need anyway. )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jessica Donahue said:

Hi everyone,

We filed in January through the CSC, and we received our 18-month extension receipt today, it's dated 8/11/18.

Is too! Dated the same. In a way, I’m relieved that at least some progress was made even if it’s just another extension letter lol. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.