wtrav

K1 vs CR1 costs/benefits and limitations

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello All,

I came across a topic about K1 vs CR1 figured that I haven't thought about this before. I would like to hear from you about the benefits and limitations. Likely most people, I think that first hand experiences are best.

*According to my calculation the K1 visa will roughly cost: $535 (petition, I-129F) + $265 (K1 visa) + $1140 (AOS filling fee I-485) + $85 (biometrics) + $410 + $85 (work permit, I-765 + biometrics again) = $2520 total

*As opposed to a CR1 visa: $535 (petition, I-130) + $265 (CR1 visa) = $800 total

Of course medical in my home country and travel costs for both visas will be at additional costs. 

K1 benefit to my understanding is a faster process which means that I won't be apart from my man for that long. What else? I don't really see anything more. Limitations would be the AOS and dealing with USICS again after entering into the US, questionable status while waiting for the green card and not being able to get a drivers license for some time + being stuck in the US while waiting for the AP. 

CR1 benefits are of course the less fees, documents such as green card and work permit at the time of entry and the ability to obtain a drivers licence sooner. Limitation would be the longer time that we would have to wait to be together, however read that we can file for free for K3 in order to live together while the spouse visa petition is pending. By the way I have a B1/B2 visa so I guess I will be able to temporary visit anyways.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any benefit/limitation to add? What do you think about the K3 option? How long does it take and does it make sense to submit all of that additional paperwork for it?

Thanks a lot! 

Edited by wtrav

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, wtrav said:

Hello All,

I came across a topic about K1 vs CR1 figured that I haven't thought about this before. I would like to hear from you about the benefits and limitations. Likely most people, I think that first hand experiences are best.

*According to my calculation the K1 visa will roughly cost: $535 (petition, I-129F) + $265 (K1 visa) + $1140 (AOS filling fee I-485) + $85 (biometrics) + $410 + $85 (work permit, I-765 + biometrics again) = $2520 total

No additional fee for I765 or I131 if filed with I485.  Still more expensive though.

*As opposed to a CR1 visa: $535 (petition, I-130) + $265 (CR1 visa) = $800 total

Of course medical in my home country and travel costs for both visas will be at additional costs. 

K1 benefit to my understanding is a faster process which means that I won't be apart from my man for that long. What else? I don't really see anything more. Limitations would be the AOS and dealing with USICS again after entering into the US, questionable status while waiting for the green card and not being able to get a drivers license for some time + being stuck in the US while waiting for the AP. 

CR1 benefits are of course the less fees, documents such as green card and work permit at the time of entry and the ability to obtain a drivers licence sooner. Limitation would be the longer time that we would have to wait to be together, however read that we can file for free for K3 in order to live together while the spouse visa petition is pending. By the way I have a B1/B2 visa so I guess I will be able to temporary visit anyways.

If a spouse comes with a CR1 you will still have to deal with ROC at 2 years less 90 days.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any benefit/limitation to add? What do you think about the K3 option? How long does it take and does it make sense to submit all of that additional paperwork for it?

Thanks a lot! 

Overall, the CR1 is superior, but as you mentioned the K1 is faster, so many people take that route.  The only other benefits/limitations is that a K1may be preferred if it is difficult to swing a foreign wedding either in a fiance’s Home country or in a third country.

Btw, good analysis!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

For the K1 option, If you file for the work permit (EAD) along with the AOS paperwork, you don't need to pay the additional $410+$85, bringing the total K1+AOS costs to $2025.

The only benefit to the K1 visa is that it is slightly faster than the CR1 visa. It used to be much faster, which is why it seems to be a very popular choice. Recent processing times are much slower however. A little over a year ago people had a K1 visa in hand in about 3-4 months. The same process is now taking 7-9 months. Then after filing AOS, it's another 4 month wait for EAD/AP, but at least you will be with your spouse at that point. 

The benefits of the CR1 include a lower overall price and the ability to work and travel almost immediately after entry to the US.

You left out fees that you will need to pay during the NVC portion of the CR1 process.

AOS (Affidavit of Support) fee =  $120

IV (Immigration Visa) fee = $325

K3 visas are rarely processed these days. It was a visa that was used when CR1 petitions were taking a lot longer to process. Most end up being converted into CR1 petitions now. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

I would like to correct your calculation for the K1:

$535 (petition, I-129F) + $265 (K1 visa) + $1225 (AOS filling fee I-485+biometrics...no more filing fee for EAD and AP if filed concurrently with AOS)

total: $2,025

With that said, it is still the more expensive option..

As the beneficiary of a K1 visa, I would like to give you my opinion on the matter. I am currently in the AOS process on the 2nd month of waiting (4 months after I entered the US). If I would have gone back in time and given the option to choose with the knowledge I have now, I would choose the CR1 route.

1. We can have the marriage in my home country with all my family and friends present to witness our union ( we can always have another marriage ceremony in the US to have my spouse's friends and family present)..harder to have beneficiary's relatives come over to the US.)

2. Less expenses for the application fees.

3. I can work right away as soon as I enter the US. No problems/issues with getting a driver's license, applying for a bank account/credit card.

4. I wouldn't feel like a financial burden to my spouse.

5. I would not get bored always stuck at home.

I don't think the processing time for the CR1 is that long...IThinking long term, I believe CR1 route definitely has more advantages than disadvantages to the K1.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

I would like to add more to my comment 

====

Advantages to the K1:

1. Less waiting time to be with the fiance.

2. Get to live together and know fiance better before the marriage.

Some points to consider when you will choose the K1:

1. Start saving money as soon as you decide to go for the K1 route. Both petitoner and beneficiary. You will definitely need the money along the way.

2. Don't plan for an extravagant wedding just yet...try to have a civil wedding...save up money for the grand wedding when you (beneficiary) can start work. You can actually have two wedding celebrations if you please. One in the US and one in the home country. That is our plan anyway.

3. Lots of planning and talking between the couple to make sure transition to the US goes smoothly. You have to know the expectations. Always assume that processing time will take at least a year. So be prepared for it!

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.