R S

Messed up Insurance Trouble based on my VISA

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I came to MN on May 25th 2017 from Japan with K-1, fiance VISA.  I married on June 13th 2017.  They received my I-485, I-131, I-765 on June 19th 2017.  I went to get done Biometric on August 2nd.  I got my insurance, Minnesota Care as a wife of American citizen from August.  I was kicked off of my insurance because I don't have my SSN.  I didn't know I should have SSN to have my insurance.  My K-1 VISA is expired August 22nd.  I changed my last name on my passport, so my expired VISA is attached my VOID old passport.  We were so busy to have our wedding in October and some important stuff for my husband.  I feel so shame.  I should have done better job.  Now I have to wait I-765, EAD to come.  I sent e Request on October 30th.  I finally got an email saying You should receive a decision or notice of other action shortly on December 8th.   USCIS is taking too much time and insurance is messed up and I lost my insurance and I don't know when I can get my insurance back.  Does someone know insurance for people like me?  Maybe we should pay so much money.  Help us.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

By any chance did you happen to speak to someone at the insurance company and explain your case? I'm on my husband's insurance without a SSN, and all he had to do was speak to a supervisor to explain our case, and supply some paperwork to support our case. 

Not providing an SSN or having an SSN does not prevent one from obtaining insurance by law.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
14 minutes ago, karice said:

By any chance did you happen to speak to someone at the insurance company and explain your case? I'm on my husband's insurance without a SSN, and all he had to do was speak to a supervisor to explain our case, and supply some paperwork to support our case. 

Hi.  Thank you for your reply.  we called so many times and we came down to their office two times one time, on 21st of November a man said it is going to be ok and we filled out some paper works and gave them some copies of marriage certificate and my expired VISA and passport.  He said the old case is closing so I need to fill out papers to renew.  But we wanted to make sure if I still have my insurance so came down there 30th of November then a woman said you don't qualified.   You have to have SSN.  That is the policy.  At first, we got the letter says "You will lose my insurance on 30th of November" on 16th of November.  We went USCIS local service offices and insurance office.  We were trying the best.  

Timeline
19 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Not providing an SSN or having an SSN does not prevent one from obtaining insurance by law.

Thank you for the reply.  I didn't think I can get SSN as a Japanese.  I thought i just have to wait.  So dumb.

Timeline
1 minute ago, karice said:

Are you trying to get insurance through your state, or private insurance?

I had mine though the state.  We had tried without SSN but seems like not working so we should find private ones until I get EAD and SSN and state insurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 hours ago, karice said:

Are you trying to get insurance through your state, or private insurance?

Minnesotacare is a state-funded insurance for people who don't qualify for Medicaid due to immigration status or who make between certain percentages of the FPL.  

Our local office required my husband's greencard and SSN to process it.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

• 7 months later...
On 12/9/2017 at 3:42 PM, R S said:

I came to MN on May 25th 2017 from Japan with K-1, fiance VISA.  I married on June 13th 2017.  They received my I-485, I-131, I-765 on June 19th 2017.  I went to get done Biometric on August 2nd.  I got my insurance, Minnesota Care as a wife of American citizen from August.  I was kicked off of my insurance because I don't have my SSN.  I didn't know I should have SSN to have my insurance.  My K-1 VISA is expired August 22nd.  I changed my last name on my passport, so my expired VISA is attached my VOID old passport.  We were so busy to have our wedding in October and some important stuff for my husband.  I feel so shame.  I should have done better job.  Now I have to wait I-765, EAD to come.  I sent e Request on October 30th.  I finally got an email saying You should receive a decision or notice of other action shortly on December 8th.   USCIS is taking too much time and insurance is messed up and I lost my insurance and I don't know when I can get my insurance back.  Does someone know insurance for people like me?  Maybe we should pay so much money.  Help us.

I realize this is an old post but it's good for others in the same situation to find these bread crumbs. You can apply for a Social Security number with a k-1 visa. It would just have a disclaimer "Not valid without employment authorization" or "Valid only with employment authorization". 

I also wanted to provide you with the link to the Minneapolis Field Office AOS community.  I compiled a list of members along with their priority dates and interview dates. I took the liberty of adding your info to the list. We all help each other on that thread. 

All the best, 

USC4SPOUSE

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.