BIDDLE1990

NVC requesting W2 when wife was out of USA??

6 posts in this topic

Hello all. 

Just received an email from the NVC stating that they are going to schedule the interview!

However, they have stated that some of my wifes' tax information is missing.

The year in question is 2016, my wife was not in the states or working for that year as she was studying abroad. 

Pretty sure this has been stated on the previous forms that we have filled in, but just a little unsure.

Don't want to go to the interview and find out we've missed something!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom 

14 hours ago, BIDDLE1990 said:

Hello all. 

Just received an email from the NVC stating that they are going to schedule the interview!

However, they have stated that some of my wifes' tax information is missing.

The year in question is 2016, my wife was not in the states or working for that year as she was studying abroad. 

Pretty sure this has been stated on the previous forms that we have filled in, but just a little unsure.

Don't want to go to the interview and find out we've missed something!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom 

Its probably the W2 or the tax return. It might be to prove income to support the beneficiary. Does the letter say to bring it to the interview or submit it ahead of time?

Did she file her taxes for that year while living abroad?    

I-130 Joruney

I-130 Sent : 2016-12-05

I-130 Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox : 2016-12-07

NOA1 Email and Text received. Case Sent to Nebraska Service Center: 2016-12-13

NOA1 Hardcopy Received: 2016-12-17, Notice date: 2016-12-13, Priority Date : 2016-12-08

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 2016-08-24, Email Received: 2017-08-23, Approval date: 2017-08-21, Hardcopy notice date: 2017-08-18

Case Shipped to NVC: Email Received: 2017-08-30, Ship Date: 2017-08-28

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2017-09-06

DS261 Filled: 2017-09-08

AOS Fee: Email received: 2017-09-09, Paid: 2017-09-09, Bank Cleared: 2017-09-12

IV Fee: Paid: Bank Cleared:2017-09-15, Status in process stuck. Emailed NVC on 2017-09-20 with proof, Called NVC on 2017-09-21 spoke to operator, Called on 2017-09-22 spoke to supervisor, Status changed to paid: 2017-09-23

AOS, IV documents : Mailed 2017-10-02, Delivered : 2017-10-04, Scan Date : 2017-10-06

Case Complete at NVC: 2017-11-15

Called NVC: 2017-11-28 no date yet.

Called NVC: 2017-11-30 got Interview Date: 2018-01-04 

Passport and Visa in hand: 2018-01-08

US Entry: 2018-02-15

POE: Dallas, TX

I-751 Journey

I-751 Sent: 2020-01-05

I-751 Filing Date: 2020-01-08

NOA Date: 2020-01-13

Bio Metrics Appointment 2020-02-10

Hi thanks for the reply.

Says to bring it to the interview. 

Wife is currently looking for the w2. So will get her to post it over. 

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, BIDDLE1990 said:

Hi thanks for the reply.

Says to bring it to the interview. 

Wife is currently looking for the w2. So will get her to post it over. 

Cheers

If she did not work for an employer  in the US during 2016, then she will not have a W2. That is a wage statement employers send to employees.  Not employed, then no wage statement. 

The I-864 requires the 2016 tax return photocopy plus (typically) copies of any wage statements like W2 but not everybody that files would have those. 

-OR-

Alternatively, order a tax return transcript free from the IRS. That meets the tax return requirement and does not need a wage statement with it. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. She will have to choose order by mail. The online access is not open to new users at this time. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

What is interesting is I received the same letter from the NVC, stating that my W2 was missing and it should be brought to the interview.

Thing was, I sent them both my W2 *and* the Tax Transcript for 2016. Dunno why they said it was missing, but at least they scheduled the interview anyway. I have both the full tax return and the transcript, with the original W2 in my binder of documents for my wife to bring to her interview so that she can provide anything they would possibly ask for.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If your wife did not work in the U.S. that year, she will not have a W2. However, every U.S. resident is required to file annual taxes, even if they have no income. I would recommend you bring her tax return/transcript from that year, and any documentation showing foreign and/or non-employment income.

I had my interview in September 2017. My husband's 2016 taxes showed an income greater than what was reflected on his W2 because he had sold stocks that year -- we had not disclosed that when filing for my immigration because there was no place to volunteer the information on any of the forms. Anyways, like you, I was asked to bring my husband's W2 to the interview. I also brought his 1099b and all other income documentation for 2016 to explain the discrepancy between his income listed on his 1044 and the income listed on his W2. There were no issues at the interview.

If you are aware of any sort of issue or discrepancy in your spouse's affidavit of support, tax transcripts, etc., I would advise bringing whatever documentation will explain it... NVC may not know to ask for certain documents if they aren't aware of your specific situation. In my experience, NVC moves forward with the interview having only received tax transcripts and W2s, which does not account for less common forms of income.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.