Dunngary

Trump's offensive remarks to Native Americans

82 posts in this topic

Just now, Bill & Katya said:

You are right.  We should probably start a new thread discussing Elizabeth Warren’s cultural appropriation for political purposes.

Absolutely fine.

While we do that let's all agree that a Veterans event was not the right place to bring it up and insult a political opponent. It was disrespectful to the men and women the event was honouring to use the event as a podium for personal attacks.

Then we can move to the other thread and talk about Warren specifically.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, bcking said:

Have they publicly said they weren't?

I've already posted a link to veterans groups saying they took offense.

The is similar to the kneeling for the anthem issue. Not all soldiers were offended, and yet people are still up in arms about that.

It's a pretty clear double standard and a great example of hypocrisy.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2017/11/28/native-american-code-talker-was-not-offended-by-pocahontas-remark-n2415206

Personally I could not care less about the Trump remarks, sure he probably shouldn’t have made the quip about the DNC icon Elizabeth Warren, but from what the veterans there said (at least one), they did not feel slighted in the least and quite honestly they are the only people that matter.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2017/11/28/native-american-code-talker-was-not-offended-by-pocahontas-remark-n2415206

Personally I could not care less about the Trump remarks, sure he probably shouldn’t have made the quip about the DNC icon Elizabeth Warren, but from what the veterans there said (at least one), they did not feel slighted in the least and quite honestly they are the only people that matter.

If the people there are all that matters:

1. Make sure you interview all of them

2. Go to every football stadium and interview every veteran sitting in the audience before we make judgments about disrespect for veterans.

Oh wait...we won't do either one...

Doubling down on a double standard. Really classy.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
15 minutes ago, bcking said:

If the people there are all that matters:

1. Make sure you interview all of them

2. Go to every football stadium and interview every veteran sitting in the audience before we make judgments about disrespect for veterans.

Oh wait...we won't do either one...

Doubling down on a double standard. Really classy.

If being offended or not as a group matters, then we can just eliminate all speech because with every action, particularly political action, there will always be people offended.  I am sure we can find members of the groups that are not offended, so why does everything have to be all about those offended?  The whole theme of this thread is how Trump denigrated these veterans with a supposed racist quip (as defined by the MDL), yet it appears that at least some of those present did not feel slighted at all and were very happy with the recognition they were regarded.  Can you say otherwise?

42 minutes ago, bcking said:

It seems to be the bigger problem here is that the Trump Fan Club will essentially defend anything he says, and isn't willing to admit when he acts inappropriately.

He has used Pocahontas to refer to Warren before, and never in a positive light. It is quite obvious that he meant it as a negative jab at her.

As I've said whether or not she deserves it is irrelevant. We had a President poking fun at a political opponent during an event about military veterans. That is immensely disrespectful.

The people here who make such a fuss about standing for the anthem should be disappointed in our President. Given his position, he has far more responsibility to show respect. A pretty basic level of respect would be to treat an event as it deserves to be treated without making it a political podium.

This is a really basic issue. The fact that people deny it, why depending "respect" in other ways, is baffling. Makes me wonder if people really know what respect means.

Of course he means it as a negative jab at Warren , and in other stunning developments water is wet.

2 minutes ago, Dunngary said:

Rap lyrics contains many racial slurs. They are offensive, even when those who listen to rap music are not offended by them. It would be offensive for Trump to use a racial slur just like his offensive comment was offensive to the Native Americans. 

Roses are Red  violets  are blue, I have a bicycle,  can you swim 

11 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Of course he means it as a negative jab at Warren , and in other stunning developments water is wet.

Using an event intended to honour veterans as a political podium to take jabs at political opponents (as you admit, it was a negative jab) is disrespectful for Veterans and the event honouring them. It wasn't a political event, it was intended to focus on them. 

I'm just trying to apply a consistent standard to similar issues that come up here. How a President behaves at events honouring veterans I would file under the "Respect for Veterans" category, which also includes how football plays stand/kneel during the National Anthem. So those should be treated with the same consistent standard.

For the football players, we weren't required to prove that all veterans were offended, or even that "most". As long as "some" were offended, it was offensive.

Here it seems like as long at least one attendee at the event wasn't offended, suddenly it wasn't offensive.

That is a double standard. 

I'm just trying to stick to the middle of the road. You should know all about that, right?

15 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Then where is the slight.  Last I heard Pocahontas was considered a heroine, so wouldn’t referring to Elizabeth Warren with her heritage as Pocahontas be a compliment?

Sounds like you are getting your history lessons from the Disney channel.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

If being offended or not as a group matters, then we can just eliminate all speech because with every action, particularly political action, there will always be people offended.  I am sure we can find members of the groups that are not offended, so why does everything have to be all about those offended?  The whole theme of this thread is how Trump denigrated these veterans with a supposed racist quip (as defined by the MDL), yet it appears that at least some of those present did not feel slighted at all and were very happy with the recognition they were regarded.  Can you say otherwise?

I think you should read a post by someone with the same name as you, made in another thread.

Surely you aren't the same person, since you seem to be contradicting the other person.

Filed: Timeline
19 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Many native Americans consider the term offensive. Your argument keeps changing. I hope you are just missing something here but when I repeat the same argument and get progressively different responses back, it looks like it's just the goalposts moving. I don't see this discussion going anywhere productive. As such I am done. Par for the course though.

How many native Americans have told you that?  Because none of the ones I know have indicated they feel that way.

4 hours ago, IDWAF said:

How many native Americans have told you that?  Because none of the ones I know have indicated they feel that way.

I've already posted a link to an interview with representatives from two Native American groups saying it was inappropriate.

In my personal life? None.

But then again in another discussion here about offending people it was made clear that it doesn't matter if a few aren't offended if others are offended. Something about kneeling and a song...

Let's try to be consistent with our standards...

Timeline
23 hours ago, Dunngary said:

Roses are red, violets are blue. Trump offended the Native Americans, and it's obvious to all, but you.

You have proof all Native Americans were offended?