rooji

Mother-in-law is PR but want to apply for daughter back hom

83 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, rooji said:

Okay let me make it a immigration issue which is what I initially asked.

Is it okay for my MIL to apply for her daughter and once the process is pending, is it okay to apply for visit visa? is there a conflict to do that? If there is then what would be the best option?

The whole marriage thing comes because of what you all keep thinking and suggesting that is not there. You all asked to do a compromise and I am not saying that no one is however if that fails then we need a backup and right now the backup is immigration.

mil can apply

sil can apply but chances she will never get visitor visa

no problem doing both

best option - patience and learn about us immigration so u learn it privilage not right and u wanting things a certain way will not change law

To answer the question (which was already answered before), yes MIL can apply for daughter and daughter can apply for visitor visa. But likelihood of getting said visa is another issue.

Options

I still stand by my last suggestion of having SIL spend some time on online dating sites. May take a while but she could come across a suitor who is willing to travel to meet her...Option 1.

Reentry permit and MIL going back to Pakistan to help daughter find suitor for brief period... Option 2.

Good luck

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Your MIL needs to make a choice for her health.  Get a re-entry permit and spend the next 2 years in Pakistan making sure her daughter is settled, or give up her green card until such a time as that happens, or spend her time here,  or do what she is doing (which isnt working.)

Your SIL can apply for visitor visas until cows jump over the moon but she will not be granted one with all of her family already in the USA. 

In the USA grandparents who so not work also culturally take care of grandchildren.  As do Aunts etc.. However people are more likely to work here due to the cost of living which neccessitates a babysitter or daycare.  Regardless of cultural norms it is more expensive to raise a family here.  So while my grandparents looked after me quite often, my mother runs a fulltime business and cannot look after her grandchildren fulltime. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, BuiQuang said:

mil can apply

sil can apply but chances she will never get visitor visa

no problem doing both

best option - patience and learn about us immigration so u learn it privilage not right and u wanting things a certain way will not change law

Honestly, I am not suggesting or saying that I do not understand the US law or change the law. I am here asking a question or suggestion so I can advise my MIL what to do. I am well aware of what the laws are and I have in the past advised people against something illegal no matter what I want.

4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

To answer the question (which was already answered before), yes MIL can apply for daughter and daughter can apply for visitor visa. But likelihood of getting said visa is another issue.

Options

I still stand by my last suggestion of having SIL spend some time on online dating sites. May take a while but she could come across a suitor who is willing to travel to meet her...Option 1.

Reentry permit and MIL going back to Pakistan to help daughter find suitor for brief period... Option 2.

Good luck

1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Your MIL needs to make a choice for her health.  Get a re-entry permit and spend the next 2 years in Pakistan making sure her daughter is settled, or give up her green card until such a time as that happens, or spend her time here,  or do what she is doing (which isnt working.)

Your SIL can apply for visitor visas until cows jump over the moon but she will not be granted one with all of her family already in the USA. 

In the USA grandparents who so not work also culturally take care of grandchildren.  As do Aunts etc.. However people are more likely to work here due to the cost of living which neccessitates a babysitter or daycare.  Regardless of cultural norms it is more expensive to raise a family here.  So while my grandparents looked after me quite often, my mother runs a fulltime business and cannot look after her grandchildren fulltime. 

Thank you for everyone who provided a clear idea of what is the best course of action to take. That is all I wanted to know that if we do go for visit visa, even with the immigration process started, it would not be a good idea as she will not get the visit visa and if that is going to mess up her chances of immigration (again last option) then we will just petition and hope for the best since each case is different. My hubby's process took 7 months from petition to visa approval, while my friend's husband took 1 and half year to get the visa approval. So I am well aware that each case different.

as far as grandparents looking after kids, my SIL1 has a very different MIL, who actually put her through work while she was pregnant hence she had different pregnancies which is why my MIL has to be there for my SIL1. her husband is great and they finally separated from her in-laws house but back when she was pregnant they couldn't due to finance. hence my MIL is torn between her 2 daughters.

14 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Options

Good luck

your suggestion of dating site, i actually did sign my SIL up on that but she doesn't use it or she doesn't know how to or too shy to. Plus she is not very trusting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Forget the visitor visa, it is not a realistic option for the very good reasons you have stated.

What are you going to do about MIL Health Insurance?, you say she is old, not working and not well?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Forget the visitor visa, it is not a realistic option for the very good reasons you have stated.

What are you going to do about MIL Health Insurance?, you say she is old, not working and not well?

She doesn't have a health insurance because the open enrollment just opened and she only became PR this year. I don't know if my husband can apply for her health insurance but for now whenever she goes back, she gets her check up there or there are free clinics she can go to here. Plus any surgery or anything she needs to do, I would suggest she gets it done in Pakistan rather than here because it is cheaper.

Timeline

I get the impression  you have not fully read the replies:

• SIL2 getting a B is incredibly unlikely
  • Applying as often as she likes and can afford has no impact on an Immigrant visa
  • Best case would be 7 years for an immigrant visa for SIL2, could well be longer, could be never.
  • You obviously know the process, your MIL went through it.
Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, rooji said:

your suggestion of dating site, i actually did sign my SIL up on that but she doesn't use it or she doesn't know how to or too shy to. Plus she is not very trusting.

You, or another family member, may have to help her with it.

My wife has a cousin that is the same way. Beautiful young girl but is extremely shy and timid. Even around guys she is interested in she clams up and make the interaction awkward.

Another cousin of my wife signed the shy cousin up to a dating site and pretty much had to guide and walk her through communicating with guys. Because it is initially through the website's messenger and not face to face it made it easier on her. She eventually found a boyfriend she has been with for almost 2 years.

She still shy though.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
2 minutes ago, rooji said:

She doesn't have a health insurance because the open enrollment just opened and she only became PR this year. I don't know if my husband can apply for her health insurance but for now whenever she goes back, she gets her check up there or there are free clinics she can go to here. Plus any surgery or anything she needs to do, I would suggest she gets it done in Pakistan rather than here because it is cheaper.

She gets seriously sick and is going to fly half way around the world?

At her age?

1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

My wife has a cousin that is the same way. Beautiful young girl but is extremely shy and timid. Even around guys she is interested in she clams up and make the interaction awkward.

Another cousin of my wife signed the shy cousin up to a dating site and pretty much had to guide and walk her through communicating with guys. Because it is initially through the website's messenger and not face to face it made it easier on her. She eventually found a boyfriend she has been with for almost 2 years.

She still shy though.

PM me contact details....

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I get the impression  you have not fully read the replies:

• SIL2 getting a B is incredibly unlikely
  • Applying as often as she likes and can afford has no impact on an Immigrant visa
  • Best case would be 7 years for an immigrant visa for SIL2, could well be longer, could be never.
  • You obviously know the process, your MIL went through it.

I read all the replies. I got all the suggestions. No one stated that if it will have an impact or not that is just I assumed or am asking if it will.

I read all the other replies about how not likely to get visitor visa and there is a 7 years for immigrant visa, which is where I suggested that each case is different and i am hoping it is less than that since my husband got his spouse visa in 7 months while I know a friend whose husband (canadian) took a year and half for approval.

1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

She still shy though.

yea I did help her and asked her to upload a picture and read through it, she started but then I got busy with work and with the day and night difference I couldn't help her through while here in US and she in Pakistan. while she is available I am not because of the day and night situation. but yes I intend to help her the first chance i get. I just have to convince her to make an effort to talk.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

She gets seriously sick and is going to fly half way around the world?

At her age?

PM me contact details....

she is not critically sick as in she is not in that condition however she does have kidney problems and she has to fly. I guess she rather sacrifice her health over her kids. My mom is that way too, she rather sacrifice her health over us so she pushes herself to work twice as much as her age.

Are you asking me for contact details or someone else?

Timeline
1 hour ago, rooji said:

I read all the replies. I got all the suggestions. No one stated that if it will have an impact or not that is just I assumed or am asking if it will.

I read all the other replies about how not likely to get visitor visa and there is a 7 years for immigrant visa, which is where I suggested that each case is different and i am hoping it is less than that since my husband got his spouse visa in 7 months while I know a friend whose husband (canadian) took a year and half for approval.

yea I did help her and asked her to upload a picture and read through it, she started but then I got busy with work and with the day and night difference I couldn't help her through while here in US and she in Pakistan. while she is available I am not because of the day and night situation. but yes I intend to help her the first chance i get. I just have to convince her to make an effort to talk.

she is not critically sick as in she is not in that condition however she does have kidney problems and she has to fly. I guess she rather sacrifice her health over her kids. My mom is that way too, she rather sacrifice her health over us so she pushes herself to work twice as much as her age.

Are you asking me for contact details or someone else?

Your husband is an Immediate Relative, no wait for a Visa Number.

Your SIL is not.

Plans should be based on logical outcomes.

We all get older, we all need more medical care as we do. My parents went that way, my grandparents did, and US is not a good place to be if you can not pay for care.

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Your husband is an Immediate Relative, no wait for a Visa Number.

Your SIL is not.

Plans should be based on logical outcomes.

We all get older, we all need more medical care as we do. My parents went that way, my grandparents did, and US is not a good place to be if you can not pay for care.

I am aware that husband is immediate relative and the process is different, but the wait time is still dependent on each case. every case is different. I know people who have waited or are waiting to be reunited with their spouse and its been 2 years to say the least. The recent rules have been changing and will be changing, it is getting harder for muslim families to be united with their loved ones.

I am not sure what you mean by the "logical outcomes."

Medical care in US is harder due to the way system is. it is ten times more to pay for the care and not everyone is able to covered. I am very well aware of it. My father who had a surgery last year could not be covered by the government because he is known as "businessman" even though his work is project based and his income is less than average but yet to be covered by the government he has to be completely off. the system in US is complicated, it doesn't help middle class families regardless.

as far as my MIL she is new to this country and she does not have a job and to have a job she has to stay here for a while and since this whole situation she has to reconsider her options. once she gives up her green card, it will be harder for her to get it. my SIL1 applied for her thinking that SIL2 would be settled by then but no one knows the future so now that my MIL has a green card, of course we do not want to give it up and then reapply once my SIL2 settles. Like I said my MIL wants to move to US and live with me and my husband and well I have heard that once you give up your green card, it is harder to get it.

Just now, Umka36 said:

Have SIL1 move back to Pakistan with MIL while SIL2 waits for a viable option to the US, that way MIL is not torn? When I read this thread, I just see it going in circles.  

So that is where the problem comes in. I am not sure if you are aware of how our culture works but once a girl is married and with her husband and has kids, it is not considered a good thing for her to move to her mother's house or parents house leaving her kids and husband. my SIL1 has 2 young kids, a toddler and an infant, who got sick last time she took them to Pakistan. Plus my SIL1 has a loving husband who doesn't want to be away from her for too long.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.