kari lina

Are you okay with your SO keeping old love letters from an ex?

Are you okay with your SO keeping old love letters from an ex?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Are you okay with your SO keeping old love letters from an ex?

• yes
    • no

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hehe, yes we are lucky, but I guess that is part of a good relationship, loving each other for your good qualities and putting up with each other for the rest :)

Btw, jundp, I see you're new to VJ, so welcome!

Karoline

Thank you. I really should be doing work, but I spend a lot of time reading guides and checking out timelines here so I know what I'm getting myself into, paperwork wise ;-)

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

I guess it depends on the content of the letters. Simple "love you miss you" kind of stuff is probably not worth keeping. But what about letters of high literary quality? I would never throw away the letters from my first boyfriend, because he was such a good writer, with perfect sense of style. In fact all of my best relationships started with long literary correspondences - this history is too precious, it's about me and the people who were my friends before they became my lovers - and many of whom are still my friends. It is indeed insecure and childish to resent your SO keeping memory of someone who was close to him - not just romantically but perhaps intellectually, emotionally - as a good friend, not just a lover. You'd be depriving him of an important part of his past, which surely contributed to what he is now.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: Timeline

I have a box of letters from my high school boyfriend who is now a prominent architect and is still a brilliant artist. I figure if he ever becomes famous they might be worth something. I didn't bring them with me to England, though; they're in a box in my old closet at my parents' house. :ph34r:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I have a box of letters from my high school boyfriend who is now a prominent architect and is still a brilliant artist. I figure if he ever becomes famous they might be worth something. I didn't bring them with me to England, though; they're in a box in my old closet at my parents' house. :ph34r:

Hmmm good point... my first boyfriend is a very gifted cellist... maybe I can sell our correspondence one day... hehehe that would be terrible

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Really, we did not face this issue. I just had one short term BF years and years ago, and that didn't really involve love letters anyway. If I had anything from that person, I probably got rid of it soon after "breaking up"(haha so silly, so young).

It's not really common in India to have girlfriends/boyfriends before marriage, except maybe nowadays it's getting more common over there, but Sujeet did not have any love letters.

If he did have some, I would not want him to keep them. If I had some, he would not want me to keep them. I wouldn't see the point of keeping them.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am not bothered by anything that my hubby may have that is to do with any of his ex-girlfriends. I am secure enough in my relationship to not feel threatened by stuff like that. But, everyone's different, so I guess I'm in the minority with that feeling!

I shipped over tonnes of photos when I moved over, many of my son's father. I'm not keeping them for me, however, I am keeping them for my son. I haven't looked at them properly for years. My hubby doesn't feel threatened by them being here, they are part of my past that I am keeping for my son's future.

I shipped over tonnes of photos when I moved over, many of my son's father. I'm not keeping them for me, however, I am keeping them for my son. I haven't looked at them properly for years. My hubby doesn't feel threatened by them being here, they are part of my past that I am keeping for my son's future.

That's a different story altogether tho ;)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's a different story altogether tho ;)

Yup. For some reason my ex had the wedding album for his wife's first marriage long after she had died. It didn't bother me in the least that he had it, though I thought it strange that he had not passed it along to his step-children since it was their parents. The marriage might not have lasted, but it's their history never the less. So I suggested that they might like to have it and they were thrilled.

As for me, I have a few photos and letters from other exes. They are part of my history, who I was, and thankfully how far I have come. I figure when I am old and grey they will be a hoot to read! :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Hmmm good point... my first boyfriend is a very gifted cellist... maybe I can sell our correspondence one day... hehehe that would be terrible

Oh, I'd never sell them; I was only kidding about that. The artwork in them is exquisite; the guy is incredibly talented. When he was in high school he used to paint the windows at the mall at Christmas. If anyone used to visit the Galleria in Dallas in 1990-1991, my HS boyfriend did those. :lol: He was a sweet guy (still is), and we do talk to each other from time to time.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Oh, I'd never sell them; I was only kidding about that. The artwork in them is exquisite; the guy is incredibly talented. When he was in high school he used to paint the windows at the mall at Christmas. If anyone used to visit the Galleria in Dallas in 1990-1991, my HS boyfriend did those. :lol: He was a sweet guy (still is), and we do talk to each other from time to time.

I was kidding too! Besides, no matter how successful he is, I doubt someone is going to want to read his "omg i miss u" emails from 18 years of age. We are still really good friends anyway.

What happened in my SO's life before me does not matter. It's the present that matters. There are some caveats. A few years ago, I was at the house of my then girlfriend's mother. She had been married for a few years more than 20 years ago. Her mother still had his pictures on the wall. That felt a little strange (we had been together more than a year).

Another time, we're at the mall and a boyfriend of hers from about 15 years prior passes us on the escalator going the other way. Got a strange vibe from the way they greeted each other.

This isn't exactly the question asked, but there is a place for everything. I see nothing wrong with keeping the old stuff, but.......

Some time later, my SO and I are having dinner on the deck. She tells me her old boyfriend (with whom she had had very little contact for many years) is in the hospital and she wants to go see him. REAL bad vibe.

We break up a while later, I go to a friend's wedding and......my ex-SO is there with the old boyfriend.

Moral of the story: old stuff is not a problem unless the SO sends you some bad vibes.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
Out of respect for the SO, letters, photos and other memorabilia should be promptly disposed of.

That's what I did...all of it, in the trash!

ONE DAY AT A TIME....

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

12/30/2008: Overnighted I-751 package to VSC

01/06/2009: Check cashed

01/06/2009: NOA (arrived 01/09/09)

01/23/2009: Biometrics appt letter received

01/31/2009: Biometrics scheduled

05/20/2009: APPROVED

06/23/2009: 10 Year Green Card arrived

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My SO has tons of stuff from his ex. They were married for 15 years and had children! He doesn't keep pictures of her, per se: his son does in his room. She's his mother.

I have the very last card/letter (letter came inside the card) from my 3rd last BF. I keep it as a lesson on how to remember not to be duped.

From each of these people, my SO and I each have a material object that is not likely to be replaced until a better version can be obtained. My SO has a rice cooker from when he lived with his ex. He has tried out other rice cookers since and they really suck compared to this particular one. I have a sewing machine from the 3rd last boyfriend. Too long a story as to how I ended up with the thing, but I don't see the point in replacing it now until there's a good deal on a better model. (Unfortunately, the good deal on the better model is part of the problem of how I ended up with the thing).

So, I voted yes, it's okay with me. With us, there usually is a point behind each thing that is kept no matter its origin.

Previous lists moved to "Story" section

BYGONE Be BYGONE

I made sure to get rid off any thing that would make my wife unconfortable, and even with the best intention and the best cleaning, there are stuff that still manage to fall in the crack, as long as your partner knows you are the ONLY person that means the world to you. They know you had a past and not reminiscence that past it should be ok.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and his ex-wife talk at least once a week and there's no problem whatsoever with that. It is usually due to situations with their daughter and she also gets us all our paint free and we are currently repainting the whole house. I personally really like his ex-wife and her and her new husband even came to our house-warming party.

If he was keeping love letters from her, that would be a totally different subject.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!