2,950 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

We had a joint I751 interview prior to my wife’s N400 interview. A week later we received a notice that the I751 was transferred to the NBC in Missouri (the N400 status says oath ceremony to be scheduled).  Not sure why the I751 was sent to NBC as I didn’t think they processed ROCs, but I still haven’t found out if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Hi, So For the N-400 Interview you both attended(Beneficiary and US Citizen)? as you saying even right after N-400 interview status of I-751 didn't change quickly. So like to know about N-400 interview when I-751 is in pending like what supporting docs we need to take and US Citizen is required? and how many interviews will be there?  Please suggest

1 hour ago, NJI751 said:

I think you should both go to the N400 interview. Just to be safe since you have not had the I751 interview.

Treat this as your combo interview even though it might just be your N400 interview. You will not have to deal with USCIS after this. :D

Got it. Thanks! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, BlueBuy said:

Hi, So For the N-400 Interview you both attended(Beneficiary and US Citizen)? as you saying even right after N-400 interview status of I-751 didn't change quickly. So like to know about N-400 interview when I-751 is in pending like what supporting docs we need to take and US Citizen is required? and how many interviews will be there?  Please suggest

Yes, I went with my wife for her N400 interview which turned out to be a good thing (I think), since the IO called both of us back to do the I751 interview first, then I left and my wife did the N400 interview.  I am not sure if it always works that way, but better to be safe than sorry especially if an I751 is pending.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Yes, I went with my wife for her N400 interview which turned out to be a good thing (I think), since the IO called both of us back to do the I751 interview first, then I left and my wife did the N400 interview.  I am not sure if it always works that way, but better to be safe than sorry especially if an I751 is pending.

Thanks for the info! yeah, i will plan to go together. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Any Supporting documents need to send with the application N-400 if I-751 is pending? Did they check for any documents when N-400/I-751 interview?

Edited by BlueBuy

Timeline

@BlueBuy

I think the I-751 is a "front-load" application since there is chance there will be interview whereas a N400 is a "back-load" application since there is a guaranteed interview. When I applied for Citizenship, I sent only one thing with the application - a copy of my GC. Granted, this was not based on marriage.

I would assume you don't need to submit everything again since you already submitted the required proof with theI-751 app. You probably need to take updated documents (newer bank statements et all) to the N400 interview.

1 hour ago, NJI751 said:

@BlueBuy

I think the I-751 is a "front-load" application since there is chance there will be interview whereas a N400 is a "back-load" application since there is a guaranteed interview. When I applied for Citizenship, I sent only one thing with the application - a copy of my GC. Granted, this was not based on marriage.

I would assume you don't need to submit everything again since you already submitted the required proof with theI-751 app. You probably need to take updated documents (newer bank statements et all) to the N400 interview.

Okay, Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Got a new update on my case on Thursday this week about my 751, it says my name was updated. My lawyer told me that means there is a change on my application, probably from joint 751 to a widow's 751 application. It also could mean that I am getting a decision soon. Other buddies who got this update, many of them ended up getting their approvals. It was also updated on my late husband's birthday which was emotionally symbolic and maybe he is watching over me. I expect my 400 to be rejected due to his passing. In the midst of all this, I can use some good news. Good luck to you all.

Edited by Zombie69

Timeline
On 4/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, NJI751 said:

@BlueBuy

I sent in evidence that is similar to 751 for 400, I took additional evidence that showed our on going marriage for 751 for the 400 interview, the majority of evidence covers the period after the submission of 400. I asked the officer if he wanted more evidence for 751, he said I had submitted enough of it which was a good sign. Sadly, my husband was ill and could not attend the interview and he passed 3 days after the interview. Knowing what the officer would say prior to the interview about the possible rescheduling of 751 joint interview. I put up a packet requesting an expedited approval for both applications based on humanitarian ground with loads of evidence like dr's letters, medical records, also proving why my husband could not attend the interview due to his serious illnesses, but the officer took the packet and told me he had to talk to the supervisor. He was somehow sympathetic, but a decision could not be made after the interview. My situation is complicated due to my husband's passing. But I think my 751 approval is right around the corner, I submitted my love's death certificate 18 days ago and requested 751 to be coverted to a widow's one. My 400 is expected to be rejected by law due to my husband's death even though I passed the interview. I think you are fine though. I have to re apply for 400 next August as an individual for the 5 year rule. The timing was so bad, on top of grieving, I had to try, and I did. My husband's passing complicated and divert the whole process unfortunately. 

Edited by Zombie69

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/28/2018 at 6:39 AM, Zombie69 said:

Got a new update on my case on Thursday this week about my 751, it says my name was updated. My lawyer told me that means there is a change on my application, probably from joint 751 to a widow's 751 application. It also could mean that I am getting a decision soon. Other buddies who got this update, many of them ended up getting their approvals. It was also updated on my late husband's birthday which was emotionally symbolic and maybe he is watching over me. I expect my 400 to be rejected due to his passing. In the midst of all this, I can use some good news. Good luck to you all.

Thank you for letting us know how things are going! I know this is been hard for you. But know that your story is also inspiring! The strength you have had through this is amazing! Absolutely amazing that you got your update on his birthday! There's too many of these things happening in your case to be a coincidence. <3

Please keep us updated on your process!

Consulate: Juarez, Mexico
K-1 Visa

I-129 sent: 2013-10-09

NOA1: 2013-10-15

NOA2: 2013-11-06

NVC received: 2013-12-06

NVC left: 2013-12-10

Consulate received: 2013-12-11

Packet 3 (letter of invitation) sent from Consulate: 2013-12-27

Packet 3 (letter of invitation) received: 2013-1-11

Interview date: 2014-01-27

Interview result: Approved for visa!!! dancin5hr.gif

Visa received: 2014-01-29

Adjustment of Status:

I-485 sent: 2014-4-22

NOA: 2014-4-30

Biometrics appt: 2014-12-11

Interview date: 2014-12-11

Approved: 2015-5-26 Green Card received: heart.gif
Removal  of Conditions:
Date filed: 2017-05-24  California Services Center
NOA: 2017-05-26
Biometrics appt: 2017-06-15
Pending..... :ph34r:

Citizenship through Naturalization, N 400

Date filed:  2018-5-11 Electronic Application 

Field office: Portland, Oregon 

NOA:  2018-5-11  -electronic copy

Received biometrics notice in mail:  2018-5-17

Biometrics appt:  2018-5-31

Timeline
33 minutes ago, David and Sinthea said:

Thank you for letting us know how things are going! I know this is been hard for you. But know that your story is also inspiring! The strength you have had through this is amazing! Absolutely amazing that you got your update on his birthday! There's too many of these things happening in your case to be a coincidence. <3

Please keep us updated on your process!

Thank you so much for your support and nice comment. Yes, it is hard to deal with the loss of my husband, I knew him for 21 years, but his passing and even the period when he was dying gave me strength to be brave and did whatever I had to do reduce the impact of my husband's illness and death on the process of immigrantion in addition to the personal and emotional stress/sadness. I visited Stan at the hospital before I went to interview, but my man was already almost unconscious, but he nodded after I told him to wish me luck, and I passed the 400 interview, but decision could not he made because Stan wasn't there to do the 751 interview despite my  packet of request with loads of evidence to expedite the adjudication of 400 and 751 on humanitarian ground(Stan's last wish to see me become naturalized, DOMA and Prop 8 prevented us from getting legally married until 2013 where the Supreme Court legalized same sex marriage immigration by finding prop 8 and DOMA unconstitutional). They did accept my packet, but the officer said he had to talk to his supervisor, and 3 days later the interview, my husband passed, but the update on my late husband's birthday gives me hope and I know he is somewhere watching over me. I am glad you find our story inspiring. Things do get better, but you have to have hope and you have to try when it is hopeless in life. I did it with my husband, I tried, I could not save him with the doctors, I tried with USCIS, it did not work out then, but I think I will get my 751 approval soon after the update, and I will be able to re apply for 400 next August based on the 5 year rule. There is always hope, and I can't lose hope. Good luck to you too, I will keep you updated. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Zombie69

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 4/14/2018 at 5:16 PM, David and Sinthea said:

My husband is completing his online N100. In the family section it asks about children. We have no children together, just my four children. Two of them are grown adults and no longer live at home. It specifically states to add stepchildren.

When you get to the end of the application, there's a section for evidence. By adding my children as his stepchildren, it triggers the request to upload evidence

"Upload documentation of your parental relationship to each child. Make sure the text is readable. This may include the following: birth certificate, court order naming you as a child parent, final adoption certificate or decree"

What the are we supposed to do in our situation? 

Thanks! 

First of all, I have just realized I've been calling it an N100 instead of an N 400. My goodness this process has me brain-fried!

Friday we went up to USCIS in Portland, Oregon. It's an hour and 40-minute ride for us. We got there early for our appointment to get an i-551 stamp only to find out that there was a system-wide, national, shut down of the system. We learned later that 22 field offices were granted access to certain program and it was too much for the system. Needless to say, we didn't get the stamp and have to go back up in 2 weeks.

The officer that we spoke to at the window was very kind. A lot different experience than we had with the AOS when the officer then had me shaking and in tears after 90 minutes of interrogation. That was me, before he brought my husband in for his interview! This new officer very willingly shared information and was extremely helpful.

To answer my question above in my other post, and all other questions, he said in regards to the N400, to send in as much information as possible. The more information the better. He gave the indication that if you think it is a good idea to send it in, just send it in. So in my case, even though my daughters are adults, we should send in their birth certificates. He even promoted my idea to have them sign a statement in front of a notary why they do not live in my home (adults/ married / partnered) and that they don't receive child support, though it's obvious by their age. He said what it will ultimately do is save time in the long run instead of wait for a request for additional evidence,  RFAE.

He was all about encouraging filing for the N400 even while waiting for Roc. Do it within the 90-day window of your 3 year anniversary for the green card. He indicated that if course it will save time. As soon as they get the N400 application, whether hard copy or electronic, they're going to call for the I 751 from the service center. They will do an interview for both at the same time, and if the interview is passed, first approve the i-751 and then immediately the N400. He acted like it was standard procedure to do a 2- for-1 interview. 

As far as CSC and VSC, he says CSC is tremendously backlogged. They are over 100,000 files deep according to his statement (I think he actually said something like 145,000  to be more precise). VSC does get the  whole eastern half of the country, but between the i-751 applicants and the special cases such as domestic abuse and so forth, they still have way less files to deal with.

Hope the information is helpful. Mostly echoing what's already been said but adding the importance of evidence for the N 400

K-1 Visa

I-129 sent: 2013-10-09

NOA1: 2013-10-15

NOA2: 2013-11-06

NVC received: 2013-12-06

NVC left: 2013-12-10

Consulate received: 2013-12-11

Packet 3 (letter of invitation) sent from Consulate: 2013-12-27

Packet 3 (letter of invitation) received: 2013-1-11

Interview date: 2014-01-27

Interview result: Approved for visa!!! dancin5hr.gif

Visa received: 2014-01-29

Adjustment of Status:

I-485 sent: 2014-4-22

NOA: 2014-4-30

Biometrics appt: 2014-12-11

Interview date: 2014-12-11

Approved: 2015-5-26 Green Card received: heart.gif
Removal  of Conditions:
Date filed: 2017-05-24  California Services Center
NOA: 2017-05-26
Biometrics appt: 2017-06-15
Pending..... :ph34r:

Citizenship through Naturalization, N 400

Date filed:  2018-5-11 Electronic Application 

Field office: Portland, Oregon 

NOA:  2018-5-11  -electronic copy

Received biometrics notice in mail:  2018-5-17

Biometrics appt:  2018-5-31

@David and Sinthea thank you for writing about your experience and your conversation with the officer. I have to say it gave me hope that I will have a combo interview since my I-751 is still pending.

Lifting Conditions                                                                Citizenship

CIS Office:  California Service Center                               Service Center:   Lewisville TX Lockbox

Date Filed:  01/19/2017                                                      CIS Office:           Greer, SC

NOA Date:  01/25/2017                                                      Date Filed:           03/06/2018

Bio App.:     02/15/2017                                                      NOA Date:           03/10/2018

RFE:                                                                                        Bio Appt.:             03/29/2018

Interview Date:                                                                     Interview Date:    07/12/2018

Approval:                                                                               Approved:

Got I551 Stamp: Yes                                                           Oath Ceremony:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.