Iamkat

Waiting for EAD and green card

15 posts in this topic

Hello, i got married on may 13, my husband and I sent the applicantion to change my status and the uscis received it on june 26, we didn’t receive any requests for more evidence, I went to the biometrics appointment to get my picture and my fingerprints, and then on july 26 I received a notice saying my case was ready to schedule an appointment, it’s been 61 days since that, and 91 days since they received my case, I still don’t have my ead and I’m getting anxious because I really need to work, and I want to buy my car but I don’t have my license or a social security number. On the day number 78 I sent an inquiry to uscis because I read that if 75 go along and you haven’t received anything you should make an inquiry (i read that on the usics page not on a forum) so I wanted to know if this wait is normal, what should I expect, what should I do, I called uscis and i told the girl about the inquiry and she told me to wait for a response (30 days) and she also told me to keep waiting for the interview since they don’t have an estimate time for the schedule of the appointment, I’m literally dying inside because I feel like I won’t get this soon my priority is my ead because i just want to work. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do at this point other than to keep waiting. EAD processing times are currently anywhere from 3-5 months now, so you should be receiving it soon. Hopefully the service request that you put in will help speed things up. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

21 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

Unfortunately there is nothing more you can do at this point other than to keep waiting. EAD processing times are currently anywhere from 3-5 months now, so you should be receiving it soon. Hopefully the service request that you put in will help speed things up. 

This is not true. Since your case is passed the normal processing period of 90 days, Lamkat, you can try seeking case assistance from the USCIS Ombudsman Office. Their website is https://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance. Fill in the electronic application form.  Then when you receive their confirmation email, you can reply with evidence and your request for expedition.  This is way more efficient than going through USCIS service requests. That's what I did after waiting for my EAD for over 120 days. One week after the assistance request, I finally got the card in production update last week :)

I hope this helps!  Good luck!

Edited by milkypoochie

5 hours ago, milkypoochie said:

This is not true. Since your case is passed the normal processing period of 90 days, Lamkat, you can try seeking case assistance from the USCIS Ombudsman Office. Their website is https://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance. Fill in the electronic application form.  Then when you receive their confirmation email, you can reply with evidence and your request for expedition.  This is way more efficient than going through USCIS service requests. That's what I did after waiting for my EAD for over 120 days. One week after the assistance request, I finally got the card in production update last week :)

I hope this helps!  Good luck!

Hey but as I read on uscis the 90 days period no longer exists, so it can take longer 

8 hours ago, dolyochagi said:

You’re about two weeks behind us and my husbands EAD card came in the mail yesterday. You’re getting close! 

Glad your husband ead’s almost ready!! How long it took since the “production notification” to have his ead card? And let me ask something else, now he will have a social security number? And can he get a drivers license? 

5 minutes ago, Iamkat said:

Hey but as I read on uscis the 90 days period no longer exists, so it can take longer 

Yeah.  But apparently they still use the 90-days as a guideline for "normal processing time" when you request expedition and when they are willing to take action to assist you.  The first time I requested assistance from the Ombudsman Office, they email back to say my case is not yet over the 90 day normal processing time, so they won't help.

8 minutes ago, Iamkat said:

Glad your husband ead’s almost ready!! How long it took since the “production notification” to have his ead card? And let me ask something else, now he will have a social security number? And can he get a drivers license? 

Yes and Yes.

I got my "production notification" last Friday and I'm still waiting on my card to arrive.  So I'm interested in finding this out as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

WHy didn't you apply for your social security number after POE?

Depending on which state you live in you may be able to get your drivers license. My husband did. We took his passport, birth certificate, SS card, marriage license, and NOA1.

3 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

WHy didn't you apply for your social security number after POE?

Depending on which state you live in you may be able to get your drivers license. My husband did. We took his passport, birth certificate, SS card, marriage license, and NOA1.

It might sound stupid but what’s POE? I don’t have a ss card, I understand that I can’t get one because my residency is still not legal until USCIS decides it 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Iamkat said:

It might sound stupid but what’s POE? I don’t have a ss card, I understand that I can’t get one because my residency is still not legal until USCIS decides it 

Point of Entry. 

You understood wrong. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 25/09/2017 at 2:41 PM, Iamkat said:

Hello, i got married on may 13, my husband and I sent the applicantion to change my status and the uscis received it on june 26, we didn’t receive any requests for more evidence, I went to the biometrics appointment to get my picture and my fingerprints, and then on july 26 I received a notice saying my case was ready to schedule an appointment, it’s been 61 days since that, and 91 days since they received my case, I still don’t have my ead and I’m getting anxious because I really need to work, and I want to buy my car but I don’t have my license or a social security number. On the day number 78 I sent an inquiry to uscis because I read that if 75 go along and you haven’t received anything you should make an inquiry (i read that on the usics page not on a forum) so I wanted to know if this wait is normal, what should I expect, what should I do, I called uscis and i told the girl about the inquiry and she told me to wait for a response (30 days) and she also told me to keep waiting for the interview since they don’t have an estimate time for the schedule of the appointment, I’m literally dying inside because I feel like I won’t get this soon my priority is my ead because i just want to work. 

I've been reading and looks like May filers are receiving their EAD/AP now in September and am sure you will receive your too very soon. You can go to your local Social Security Administration Office and take your passport, I-94 and fill the SS application and submit there and you will receive your SS card within 2 weeks. By the way if you want to get a driving license you can take I-485 NOA1, Passport, I-94 to  your local BMV and get a 1 year driving license. All the best

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

2 hours ago, Aviinashh M said:

I've been reading and looks like May filers are receiving their EAD/AP now in September and am sure you will receive your too very soon. You can go to your local Social Security Administration Office and take your passport, I-94 and fill the SS application and submit there and you will receive your SS card within 2 weeks. By the way if you want to get a driving license you can take I-485 NOA1, Passport, I-94 to  your local BMV and get a 1 year driving license. All the best

But will that SS work for the rest of my life? Or will that number change if I get my green card and then when I become a citizen? Or that number will always be the same? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Iamkat said:

But will that SS work for the rest of my life? Or will that number change if I get my green card and then when I become a citizen? Or that number will always be the same? 

The social security number will always be the same unless you want to change it because of Identity theft, harassment, abuse etc...

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

It was about a week from "card in production" to received. And we were able to apply for his SSN today since he got his EAD yesterday! Hopefully in a week or so we can go get his drivers license, our joint bank account, etc. He was not eligible to apply for a SSN at POE, nor did he have reason to at the time since he came on VWP. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.