23 posts in this topic

Great news! My Fiancee just picked up her passport and we're good to go she was approved for our K1! I do have a question about the actual visa though, it says expiration date 21 Feb 2018 but then on a lower line it says Pet exp date: 06 Jan 2018

What does that mean? Is she good to come in February or does it have to be January? Anyone have a clue? Thanks! 

I got my interview done last August 24, 2017 and the consul said that I will receive my passport after 7-10 working days and its nearly a month now and I still dont get any message from them besides last September 5 that they asked me the address of my petitioner via email. Does it really take this long to receive the passport and the visa?

22 minutes ago, jzavala2012 said:

9 minutes ago, ArmanBarbuco said:

Did they tell you after your interview  if your approved? Before  they  asked  you for your passport? 

Edited by adipo21

4 minutes ago, ArmanBarbuco said:

Yes, they did told me that my visa is approved and i am going to receive it within 7-10 days....

Oooh ok congratulations. Just be patient something  will come up or you  can try  to Email them and see what's  the hold up. But what I know  when I did my k1 interview  early  this year  after  was told  my visa was approved. My passport  took only two days to and had it  with  me. 

Edited by adipo21

29 minutes ago, jzavala2012 said:

Great news! My Fiancee just picked up her passport and we're good to go she was approved for our K1! I do have a question about the actual visa though, it says expiration date 21 Feb 2018 but then on a lower line it says Pet exp date: 06 Jan 2018

What does that mean? Is she good to come in February or does it have to be January? Anyone have a clue? Thanks! 

Congratulations on your fiance visa.All I know  is that a visa is valid  for six months so your fiance can travel within that time period. But my advice  would give is the early  she travel the better. 

42 minutes ago, ArmanBarbuco said:

I got my interview done last August 24, 2017 and the consul said that I will receive my passport after 7-10 working days and its nearly a month now and I still dont get any message from them besides last September 5 that they asked me the address of my petitioner via email. Does it really take this long to receive the passport and the visa?

Ours took about 3 weeks to get back

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
55 minutes ago, adipo21 said:

Congratulations on your fiance visa.All I know  is that a visa is valid  for six months so your fiance can travel within that time period. But my advice  would give is the early  she travel the better. 

The K-1 is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical. . 

10 hours ago, adipo21 said:

It is valid for 6 months counting from medical, not from when you get the passport back.

"pet" refers to the petition. I think that now what matter is the visa, but you are probably not waiting until February to marry. The expiration only matters because your fiance has to enter  the U.S. before the visa expiration date.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

The petition  expiry I am pretty  sure needs to be current  to enter the country . You can apply for an extension  if she plans on US entry after it expires.

3 hours ago, AussieTam said:

The petition  expiry I am pretty  sure needs to be current  to enter the country . You can apply for an extension  if she plans on US entry after it expires.

No you can't. Expiring = expiring, no extension nothing. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

1 hour ago, Dutchster said:

No you can't. Expiring = expiring, no extension nothing. 

So do I not need to worry about the petition expiring?

6 months from my medical is 21 Feb 2018, the pet expired 08 jan 2018. 

Ive heard from a few people that the petition expire date doesnt matter, only that it needs to be within 6 months of her medical

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Congratulations for the approval! From my experience, try that your GF travels BEFORE that expiration date on the visa and if possible, not just a few days before the actual expiration. I tell you this because I encountered an issue at the airline check-in (Buenos Aires airport) when the airline staff thought that my visa had already expired just because I was travelling like 3 days before the expiration date. I had to point out that my visa was still valid but this employee still thought that needed to speak to her supervisor about this for some reason. Maybe she was new. Anyways the sooner she gets on the plane the better. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.