Rukio

K-1 Visa Who is the Petitioner and other questions

19 posts in this topic

Hello! I just have a few questions as I'd like to hopefully get this form right the first time around. My fiancée plans on moving down to the states with me. We've been together a little over 2 years and she's excited we're getting this done!

• My fiancée lives in Canada and we are planning for her to live with me down here in Florida. Everything on this form talks about US stuff until the Beneficiary so I'm assuming it wants my information first and hers is the Beneficiary, right..?

• Towards the end (Page 10, Part 5, numbers 3, 4 and 5) it wants the Petitioner's Numbers and Email address. Does this mean it wants her information as they'll need to contact her for an interview to come down here?  (Also will I need to be interviewed, again I'm in the US and she is coming down here.)

• On Page 8, Part 2 number 62.a/b. It asks where she will be attending the US Embassy/Consulate at. We're planning on sending this application this month, however she will be staying down here until January sometime early September. Do I put a U.S Embassy down here or up there? I know the wait times are about 5-6 months. What if they call/email sooner? What location should I put?

• Your Beneficiary's Physical Address Abroad, is this asking for her current location now? I don't believe it means where she is going to live -WITH- me because that's asked right above it (Page 7, Part 2 number 47.a)

• We don't know where one of her parents is, do we still put their name and stuff in or do we right Unknown or something else in the boxes for Parent 2?

• Does she send this in to an Embassy near her or do I send this in as it asks for my Social and other information first.

• Should this all be written or typed in?

• For questions that ask things, such as her 'A-Number' or Us Social (She's Canadian so neither apply), do we just leave them blank?

• Does the US Embassy/Consulate require a check or can the payment be made via debit card/credit card?

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and answer anything you could!

Edited by Rukio

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That's a lot of questions to answer in one post.  I think you need to review the process and this should answer most of your questions.

USCIS receives and approves your K-1 I-129f petition, then it goes to National Visa Center and the US Embassy in Canada for medical and interview.

You are the petitioner, fiance is beneficiary.  

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/  Review the K-1 guides on this forum. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f  Review the USCIS web site.

1 minute ago, tanderson64 said:

That's a lot of questions to answer in one post.  I think you need to review the process and this should answer most of your questions.

USCIS receives and approves your K-1 I-129f petition, then it goes to National Visa Center and the US Embassy in Canada for medical and interview.

You are the petitioner, fiance is beneficiary.  

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/  Review the K-1 guides on this forum. 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f  Review the USCIS web site.

Thank you for answering some of the questions. I'll read the guides, I've been throughout google with the questions I have and some of them are not answered specifically in reference to my question. I'm assuming using an older K-1 visa document.

Just hoping for a few people who could answer some questions at a time, where I'll then update my thread so I can hopefully help out someone else who has the questions I have.

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Rukio said:
  • My fiancée lives in Canada and we are planning for her to live with me down here in Florida. Everything on this form talks about US stuff until the Beneficiary so I'm assuming it wants my information first and hers is the Beneficiary, right..?

Yes

41 minutes ago, Rukio said:

owards the end (Page 10, Part 5, numbers 3, 4 and 5) it wants the Petitioner's Numbers and Email address. Does this mean it wants her information as they'll need to contact her for an interview to come down here?  (Also will I need to be interviewed, again I'm in the US and she is coming down here.)

They want your information in this part.  They will contact you for questions and NOA2 approval.

42 minutes ago, Rukio said:

On Page 8, Part 2 number 62.a/b. It asks where she will be attending the US Embassy/Consulate at. We're planning on sending this application this month, however she will be staying down here until January sometime early September. Do I put a U.S Embassy down here or up there? I know the wait times are about 5-6 months. What if they call/email sooner? What location should I put?

US Embassy in Canada.  They will do fiance interview and approve/disapprove visa there.

43 minutes ago, Rukio said:

Your Beneficiary's Physical Address Abroad, is this asking for her current location now? I don't believe it means where she is going to live -WITH- me because that's asked right above it (Page 7, Part 2 number 47.a)

I would put fiance address where she lives now.

44 minutes ago, Rukio said:

We don't know where one of her parents is, do we still put their name and stuff in or do we right Unknown or something else in the boxes for Parent 2?

My fiance does not know where her father is.  I put his name and unknown for other information.

45 minutes ago, Rukio said:

Does she send this in to an Embassy near her or do I send this in as it asks for my Social and other information first.

Per this instructions on this forum and the USCIS web site, you send petition to lockbox in Texas service center.

46 minutes ago, Rukio said:

Should this all be written or typed in?

Does not matter, either is OK.  I typed most, and wrote in information when there was not enough room using the PDF type in.

47 minutes ago, Rukio said:

For questions that ask things, such as her 'A-Number' or Us Social (She's Canadian so neither apply), do we just leave them blank?

Just leave it blank.

47 minutes ago, Rukio said:

Does the US Embassy/Consulate require a check or can the payment be made via debit card/credit card?

Per the instructions, they want a check.

Yes

They want your information in this part.  They will contact you for questions and NOA2 approval.

US Embassy in Canada.  They will do fiance interview and approve/disapprove visa there.

I would put fiance address where she lives now.

My fiance does not know where her father is.  I put his name and unknown for other information.

Per this instructions on this forum and the USCIS web site, you send petition to lockbox in Texas service center.

Does not matter, either is OK.  I typed most, and wrote in information when there was not enough room using the PDF type in.

Just leave it blank.

Per the instructions, they want a check.

You are absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for your reply with answers!

So I was under the assumption that I was going to send her the pictures (With the dates and location of them), the application and the money. However it seems it'll actually be me sending things out. So It'll be sending all the required documents to the Lockbox facility.   So there is nowhere in Canada that this form would be welcomed? If so. I think I have everything answered!

Aside from the 535$ fee.. that kind of hurts. I was under the assumption it was in the 300s. :)

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rukio said:

So I was under the assumption that I was going to send her the pictures (With the dates and location of them), the application and the money. However it seems it'll actually be me sending things out. So It'll be sending all the required documents to the Lockbox facility.   So there is nowhere in Canada that this form would be welcomed? If so. I think I have everything answered!

No you do all the documents for the I-129f petition and send it to the lockbox.  The only thing you will need from your fiance is a signed letter of intent to marry.

No problem, the process is confusing at first, but you will learn it.  Be prepared for a lot of waiting!

Thank you!

Do you know anything about when she can stay with me? I'm aware she can stay in the US for 4 months every 365 calendar days. If they approve the K-1 Visa. Will she be able to come back and stay with me? It'd be this month and next month out the way, then her here for 4 months. So hopefully she'd get approved shortly after leaving here (Or before!)

Timeline

I do not know the answer to this because I don't know the specific visa requirements for tourist visa and K-1 visa together.  The K-1 visa is good for one time entry.

Make sure she does not overstay her current visa!

I would post this question separately on the forum, and you should get an answer for this.

As far as approval goes - no one has the answer to when the petition will be approved.  You can only estimate, and wait.  Unless you are very lucky, it will be a minimum of 3 months to wait for approval. That is the frustrating part of this process.  

I would get the petition in as soon as you can, so the process starts.

14 hours ago, Rukio said:

Aside from the 535$ fee.. that kind of hurts. I was under the assumption it was in the 300s. :)

Please do your research on the whole process because the $535.00 is just to file the petition. That is not the total cost for the beginning (applying for K1) all the way to atleast AOS (getting a GC) and then you still have to file to remove the conditions on the GC 2 years after you get married and then the beneficiary chooses to being a US citizen, there is a cost to file for that too.

After you get married, you have to apply for the AOS which is over $1000.00. Plus there is the cost of medical exam, vaccinations, the cost of the K1 visa fee, plane ticket costs, etc.

A lot of people go into this process not doing their homework on the process, the requirements, but most importantly THE COST!!!! Not trying to discourage you, but as someone said in the beginning of your thread...make sure you read up on the guides on this site and go to USCIS website to see the costs of the things you and your fiancé will have to pay throughout this process.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by Trinab80

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Yep, AOS is $1225 currently, and remember you are advised to do so before the 90 days period to get married ends, or she'll be out of status in the US.

Also she can't leave the country until you get the Advance of Parole that allows her to do so. You fill that form at the same time than i485 for AOS, and it usually takes 3-4 months apparently.

As advised for other posters here, take your time reading and getting your facts straight about the whole process, because this is not just a way to get your fiancée there, but a live long commitment that requires patience, love, money...and dealing with bureaucracy and loads of paperwork.

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

12 minutes ago, Estibaliz said:

Yep, AOS is $1225 currently, and remember you are advised to do so before the 90 days period to get married ends, or she'll be out of status in the US.

Also she can't leave the country until you get the Advance of Parole that allows her to do so. You fill that form at the same time than i485 for AOS, and it usually takes 3-4 months apparently.

As advised for other posters here, take your time reading and getting your facts straight about the whole process, because this is not just a way to get your fiancée there, but a live long commitment that requires patience, love, money...and dealing with bureaucracy and loads of paperwork.

I'm honestly not even sure what AOS stands for. So the initial fee is 535 US, Then about 50$ to simply get married. 

I have to, within the 90 days, put out 1225$ USD for... AOS?

I'm currently out of the house. Any chance I could ask you for a bit of information? 

AOS = i485

What does the Advanced of Parole do for her? You mentioned it allows her to leave. So she can't go back home with just a K-1 visa? 

The Green Card we have to file for immediately after marriage? I'm assuming there is fees for that aswell? Or is that the 1225 fee? 

I will be reading the guide when I get home. Just trying to make sure I have a grasp on this. 

What I need to know:

The K-1 visa is getting completed very shortly. That'll take 3-6 months. (535 USD) 

When approved, I have 3 months to get married. (50ish USD). 

Within the period of the 3 months, I have to atleast file for her Green Card (AOS?) which takes 3-4 months? (1225 USD) 

Then I need to do the advanced parole which gives her the ability to go back and see her parents and such? (?? USD) and however long time frame. 

After 2 years, file to remove Greencard status so she can become a US Citizen. Which is a ??? Fee. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Yeah, this is a lot of information indeed. AOS stands for Adjustment Of Status, that is, as you said, to get her the Green Card. If you fill in the Advance of Parole (allows her to travel abroad before getting the Green Card) and the EAD (Employment Authorization) at the same time that AOS, then you don't need to pay a fee for those. What takes 3-4 months are those two things, because they are pretty necessary for daily life (work and travel), but the Green Card itself takes longer.

All that is good information to have and keep in mind for future reference, but you better focus on the K1 for now. And mind you the cost of the K1, as @Trinab80said, includes also the medical (varies by country, mine is around $325) and visa fee ($265), plus trips, photocopies, translations, mailing and whatnot.

Also, K1 process is taking 6 months if you get very lucky. 7-8 can be more realistic right now.

Don't turn yourself crazy, go step by step :)

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.