10 posts in this topic

I am the petitioner, sponsoring my husband. My husband is overseas right now and I live in US. I don't work right now and live with my brother.  Because I live with my brother and don't work he files me as a dependent on his tax returns. Now that I am apply for my husband with zero income, my brother will be taking the financial responsibility. He makes way above the poverty line.  So I understand that I would have to file one i864 with zero income. But what is confusing to me is that whether my brother will file as a household member or a joint sponsor?    

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Simplest and most straight forward to have him file as a Joint sponsor using an I-864.  You could have him be a household member but it's far easier to get two I-864 forms right than to get the I-864/I-864a combination right.  Remember, if his income is sufficient, he can leave the asset section entirely blank.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, Givememyvisa said:

Thank sir,

Just one more question. When I fill in my I-864 what documents would I need to attach with it. Keeping in mind I have zero income and my brother( joint sponsor) filled me as his dependent.

In the tax section of your I-864, simply hand write legibly, "Not required to file.  No income."  You will then sign the form under penalty of perjury.  You have nothing to document, unless you had income and/or filed tax returns between 2014 and 2016 tax years.  You are not required to provide evidence you had no income.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: South Korea
Timeline
15 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Simplest and most straight forward to have him file as a Joint sponsor using an I-864.  You could have him be a household member but it's far easier to get two I-864 forms right than to get the I-864/I-864a combination right.  Remember, if his income is sufficient, he can leave the asset section entirely blank.

Hi, what if the petitioner is making income from overseas? Do we still need to list it on the I-864 if we submitted it during tax season?

another question, how likely would it be that they call the joint sponsor to verify? Thanks!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Iamrickychan said:

Hi, what if the petitioner is making income from overseas? Do we still need to list it on the I-864 if we submitted it during tax season?

another question, how likely would it be that they call the joint sponsor to verify? Thanks!

Unless the petitioner's overseas income will continue from the same source when they return to the USA, it is not being "used to qualify...."  Read questions carefully and interpret them literally.  Your second question is quite worrisome indeed.  The joint sponsor is going to sign an I-864 under penalty of perjury, and then document what they've stated in their affidavit with at least on tax return, and if employed, a pay stub.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
10 hours ago, Iamrickychan said:

I think they don't consider overseas Income..unless its military or any US Gov Projects

Hello,

For CR1 Visa Petitioner has no income, petitioner's father is joint sponsor. Below is the list of AOS doc we are preparing.

1. I-864 for petitioner with ZERO income ( learned even though petitioner income is zero, have to submit I-864 as she is a main sponsor)
  2. Cover letter explaining petitioner zero income.
  3. I-864 for Joint sponsor ( this was the query if I have to submit I-864A / I-864.. but its clear now that we have to submit I-864 for joint sponsor and I-864A for family member)
  4. Tax Transcript for last 3 year [Of Household income included as sponsor - Petitioner's Father and Mother income they file it jointly ]
  5. Letter of Employment. - ( join sponsor is self employed - What could be the letter? )
  6. Pay stubs from the most recent seven months ( again self employed - Bank statement can work here ? )

Can anybody help For #5 , For #6 

Naturalization - N-400 Timeline

09/09/2020 - N-400 filling done online

09/09/2020 - NOA online

02/11/2021 - Bio Reuse

• 6 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi this joint sponsor vs household member thing is ridiculously unnecessarily confusing.. as is most things from the government.

maybe someone can help?

My filipina wife is now a U.S. Citizen. We went through the whole process to get her mother to the U.S.A., took OVER 1 year, and now we just paid the fees & have to fill out the AOS portion of the NVC case. My wife has 0 income, sort of I guess, we do file jointly so technically our incomes are combined I think..  

Anyway, i'm the one with the money so as my wife's husband am I a household member or joint ?  looks like I qualify as both. 

From what's posted here it looks like I should choose the joint option ?

thanks in advance

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.