Springrain22

Taxes for IR1 -- what to do?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
16 minutes ago, pghknr said:

Pushbrk, Since he has less Income in 2014 & 2015 - It won't help him right ( If CO Asks at Consulate?)

He already submitted  2016 Tax returns He should be fine.

Yes, that's what I meant and said.  Amending the return later is also quite common.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Yes, that's what I meant and said.  Amending the return later is also quite common.

He has to take 2014 & 2015 Tax Returns with him Right for Interview..If CO asks he should be able show if Not He is Luck..lol

It's no big deal that he only submitted one year. There might be a big deal in the fact that he filed as "single". While it means that you can't e-file with a non-resident spouse, you're still supposed to file as married. (Separately or jointly, but married.) It means you have to file by mail, since you have to write NRA (non-resident alien) on the forms, and that means you can't file online. 

The accountant made a mistake that is sometimes a very big deal. 

My advice, OP,  would be to amend your tax return to be "married filling separately" with NRA written in where it asks for "spouse's SSN or ITIN."

A lot of people make this mistake, and sometimes the interviewer doesn't care, but sometimes they do. Better safe than sorry. 

Married is married to the US government.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
8 hours ago, pghknr said:

He has to take 2014 & 2015 Tax Returns with him Right for Interview..If CO asks he should be able show if Not He is Luck..lol

No, he doesn't have to.  Where are you getting this?  Why would the CO want to see tax returns that won't help him make a decision.  He can see the numbers from them on the affidavit and knows the income those years didn't qualify.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline
3 hours ago, nightingalejules said:

It's no big deal that he only submitted one year. There might be a big deal in the fact that he filed as "single". While it means that you can't e-file with a non-resident spouse, you're still supposed to file as married. (Separately or jointly, but married.) It means you have to file by mail, since you have to write NRA (non-resident alien) on the forms, and that means you can't file online. 

The accountant made a mistake that is sometimes a very big deal. 

My advice, OP,  would be to amend your tax return to be "married filling separately" with NRA written in where it asks for "spouse's SSN or ITIN."

A lot of people make this mistake, and sometimes the interviewer doesn't care, but sometimes they do. Better safe than sorry. 

Married is married to the US government.

Well, what should I do now? Do I need to submit it to NVC or we should bring it to the interview and present to CO if they ask? Amending takes time. Is it enough if we amend it (Form 1040x) and make a copy of the form and mailing receipt or we should also wait until IRS processes my amendment and then request new tax transcript?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate thread merged. Please do not start more then one thread for the same or duplicate topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
17 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

My wife is not in USA and has no ITIN or SSN. It's not possible to file as married without this data when filing electronically, this is what my accountant did.

I should have filed as "married filling separately", she is not here and she is not working.

Not true, I filled married filing jointly before my husband arrived in the US, he didn't have an ITN or SS# either. You need to amend your taxes.

Timeline
Just now, mimolicious said:

Not true, I filled married filing jointly before my husband arrived in the US, he didn't have an ITN or SS# either. You need to amend your taxes.

I have 2 years to amend it. However, is it enough to amend it now and have a copy of 1040x form with a copy of mailing receipt? Or I need to have new transcript at the time of the interview?

Timeline
2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

I have 2 years to amend it. However, is it enough to amend it now and have a copy of 1040x form with a copy of mailing receipt? Or I need to have new transcript at the time of the interview?

1 year 2016 Tax Return with W2 will be fine

Timeline
1 minute ago, pghknr said:

1 year 2016 Tax Return with W2 will be fine

I did not send W-2 because I sent tax transcript and W-2 is not required with tax transcript, it's required only with tax return.

Timeline
Just now, Springrain22 said:

I did not send W-2 because I sent tax transcript and W-2 is not required with tax transcript, it's required only with tax return.

Correct.. 1year transcript & Current Paystubs are fine

Timeline
Just now, pghknr said:

Correct.. 1year transcript & Current Paystubs are fine

Why do I need to send current paystubs? I sent tax transcript and employer letter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.