2,532 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ksenia_O said:

Would be great, but - no :) NOA1 and biometric appointment mean  that fees are taken and your application is accepted (not rejected) to be processed. But when?.. I wish we all knew.. .

My AOS took 15 months, and now, when I think about another possible 15 months.... grrrrr....Yes, you understand :) 

Oh boy, 15 months :o...What happened to good ole days of 6-8 months haha

So you already got everything approved and all? Was it a smooth experience or did you have RFE and interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Bella1464 said:

Oh boy, 15 months :o...What happened to good ole days of 6-8 months haha

So you already got everything approved and all? Was it a smooth experience or did you have RFE and interview?

Thank you for asking.

Actually, it was smooth experience - it just took that long. According to what my congressperson learnt, my case was just "sitting & waiting" :) The first "look" at our cases (my son's and mine)  was taken a year after submission... Of course, medical was already due and the IO, who finally got to our cases  wanted to see the latest Tax Return, which I understand.. So, yes, after 12 months of hearing NOTHING, the RFEs in the mail box looked like "the Letters of Joy", almost like blessing!!! :) 

We submitted AOS: my - June 2014, son's - July 2014 (we arrived  K1/K2 at different time) . We both received the same RFEs  in July, 2015, at the same day. Responded in August, and got our green cards in September of that year, at the same day. Total - 15 months. We both had to renew our EADs, and in addition - to get numerous DMV "have-fun-trips" done to renew our DLs...

I din't mind to wait and it was completely fine to renew EADs, but Driver License "thing" was the most frustrating part during that long wait time.. Was really glad when it was over :) i

Edited by Ksenia_O

This is a random question but I'm starting my drivers education soon. When my green card expires in September does that mean I won't be able to get a driver's license? Or will I be covered by the NOA-1?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Whitehead said:

This is a random question but I'm starting my drivers education soon. When my green card expires in September does that mean I won't be able to get a driver's license? Or will I be covered by the NOA-1?

It depends on State you live in... sometimes even on DMV.. With a green card I got "regular" for my State 7 years driver license, valid till 2023. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i am not sure if this is even related to the question.. lol..

but I was only given a DL valid for 3 years.. on my Conditional GC.. so I also would not know how to renew this if my 10 yr GC will not arrive on time..

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS  (CSC) FROM K1 VISA

06.23.17 - Application sent

06.26.17 - Received

06.29.17 - NOA

07.10.17 - Biomentrics Notice (via Post mail)

07.17.17 - Biometrics schedule

09.16.17 - 10 year GC received

CITIZENSHIP (N400)

02.26.2020 - Online Application

02.27.2020 - NOA

03.16.2020 - Biometrics Appointment

03.06.2020 - Biometrics Completed (Walk in)

Timeline
7 minutes ago, charmed2006 said:

i am not sure if this is even related to the question.. lol..

but I was only given a DL valid for 3 years.. on my Conditional GC.. so I also would not know how to renew this if my 10 yr GC will not arrive on time..

If you still don't have a 10 years green card by the time the Extension Letter is expired, then  it's time to go to your local Field USCIS office and get your passport stamped,... It should work to renew the DL..

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

If you still don't have a 10 years green card by the time the Extension Letter is expired, then  it's time to go to your local Field USCIS office and get your passport stamped,... It should work to renew the DL..

thank you as always!!!!!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS  (CSC) FROM K1 VISA

06.23.17 - Application sent

06.26.17 - Received

06.29.17 - NOA

07.10.17 - Biomentrics Notice (via Post mail)

07.17.17 - Biometrics schedule

09.16.17 - 10 year GC received

CITIZENSHIP (N400)

02.26.2020 - Online Application

02.27.2020 - NOA

03.16.2020 - Biometrics Appointment

03.06.2020 - Biometrics Completed (Walk in)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ksenia_O said:

Should I get a new passport when the times come to get my stamp? My current passport will expire at around the same time my extension letter expires. 

What would happen if I get the stamp on my current passport then expires and I get a new one and decide to travel? Would I need to carry both? This is so confusing. :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
22 minutes ago, dannymx said:

Should I get a new passport when the times come to get my stamp? My current passport will expire at around the same time my extension letter expires. 

What would happen if I get the stamp on my current passport then expires and I get a new one and decide to travel? Would I need to carry both? This is so confusing. :wacko:

Mmmn, I would think it is safer to get another stamp in the new passport. All these ad hoc measures seem to be 'evolving' because of "shortage' of adjudicating personnel at USCIS.......

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I-751 Timeline
06/23/2017 - Shipped to VSC
06/26/2017 - Delivered and signed for by A.SCOSS
07/03/2017 - Cashed check
07/05/2017 - NOA1 received in the mail dated 06/26/2017

15 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

Thank you for asking.

Actually, it was smooth experience - it just took that long. According to what my congressperson learnt, my case was just "sitting & waiting" :) The first "look" at our cases (my son's and mine)  was taken a year after submission... Of course, medical was already due and the IO, who finally got to our cases  wanted to see the latest Tax Return, which I understand.. So, yes, after 12 months of hearing NOTHING, the RFEs in the mail box looked like "the Letters of Joy", almost like blessing!!! :) 

We submitted AOS: my - June 2014, son's - July 2014 (we arrived  K1/K2 at different time) . We both received the same RFEs  in July, 2015, at the same day. Responded in August, and got our green cards in September of that year, at the same day. Total - 15 months. We both had to renew our EADs, and in addition - to get numerous DMV "have-fun-trips" done to renew our DLs...

I din't mind to wait and it was completely fine to renew EADs, but Driver License "thing" was the most frustrating part during that long wait time.. Was really glad when it was over :) i

That's just crazy! That long of a wait...And I know exactly how it feels with DMV, been there, done that :wacko:

Let's hope my ROC will be a little faster :D If I won't hear anything in about 5 months, I'm calling them to remind about myself ;)

14 hours ago, dannymx said:

It would be best to get the passport renewed.  It has to be valid for them to stamp it, but it's not required.  If it's expired they'll put the stamp and your picture on a plastic card instead.  The passport makes it so that there's no additional pictures required and it keeps it all together. 

And yes,  if the valid stamp is in the old passport, you'll need to take / travel with both, old and new passport.  That happened to me once with my F1 visa. It was still valid,  but I had a new passport,  so I had both for a time. 

Edited by piano

ROC Timeline:

May 31: Package mailed    

June 8: NOA1 received, dated June 2

June 27: Biometrics done

Sept 25: Case Status Update Card in Production

30 minutes ago, piano said:

If it's expired they'll put the stamp and your picture on a plastic card instead.  

Looks like this may no be longer the case,  and it used to be I-94, not plastic. I can't find anything definite,  so I'd err on the side of renewing your passport. 

Edited by piano

ROC Timeline:

May 31: Package mailed    

June 8: NOA1 received, dated June 2

June 27: Biometrics done

Sept 25: Case Status Update Card in Production

Timeline
2 minutes ago, piano said:

Looks like this may no be longer the case,  and it used to be I-94, not plastic. I can't find anything definite,  so I'd err on the side of renewing your passport. 

Seems like they stamp only valid passport...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.