zemit

Visting girlfriend ETSA

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You worry too much......Come for a visit and enjoy yourself :)

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

7/27/15 Sent I-130 package to Chicago Lock box

7/29/15 NOA1, TSC

10/7/15 Entered USA for three weeks to close escrow and pack house

12/5/15 Entered USA for 90 days to visit

12/7/15 I-130 approved,NOA2

NVC

12/23/15 NVC received package

1/5/2016 Called NVC

1/7/2016 Called NVC, assigned case # and IIN #

1/7/2016 Assigned choice of agent

1/7/2016 Paid AOS fees

1/21/2016 Paid packet IV fees

2/20/2016 Filed DS-260

3/30/2016 Sent NVC package

4/5/2016 NVC received package

5/5/2016 Email from NVC...case complete with interview date 6/17

6/10/2016 Medical

6/17/2016 Interview - Approved :)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

1. Dont bring that kind of money in cash with you. Leave most of the money in your UK account, make a screenshot on the day of travel and take the money with a card. Taking this kind of money in cash will bring you in trouble as they will think you cancelled your accounts back home and took the cash to start over in the USA.

2. Attached is a list of ties you should consider bringing with you. Download the pdf file and collect as many as possible of those and bring them with you.

3. Try to keep your stay as short as possible. Using all of your 3 months may raise a red flag.

Ties.pdf

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am only bringing 1000 in cash with me is that still to much? most of my money is in my debit card i also have a credt card plan to use ATMS

20 minutes ago, Michael2017 said:

1. Dont bring that kind of money in cash with you. Leave most of the money in your UK account, make a screenshot on the day of travel and take the money with a card. Taking this kind of money in cash will bring you in trouble as they will think you cancelled your accounts back home and took the cash to start over in the USA.

2. Attached is a list of ties you should consider bringing with you. Download the pdf file and collect as many as possible of those and bring them with you.

3. Try to keep your stay as short as possible. Using all of your 3 months may raise a red flag.

Ties.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but bringing a ton of evidence with you showing your ties to your home country, without border security asking for it first, would throw a ####### ton of red flags for me if I was looking at it from their perspective. I mean you can always suggest that you were just "really wanting to prove you are returning home", but at some point they have to question why you would feel that proof is necessary.

I'm not sure why you would be worrying at all.... or why others are suggesting you should.... people can travel with upwards of $10,000 (declared) and can travel on ESTA for up to 90 days. 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

and they ask for proof of funds ? they can take me to a ATM machine, taking a picture of my funds would sound fishy as peot has said, I'm just having 2 months holiday to vist my girlfriend then going back on a set date 

Edited by zemit

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Peot said:

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but bringing a ton of evidence with you showing your ties to your home country, without border security asking for it first, would throw a ####### ton of red flags for me if I was looking at it from their perspective. I mean you can always suggest that you were just "really wanting to prove you are returning home", but at some point they have to question why you would feel that proof is necessary.

I'm not sure why you would be worrying at all.... or why others are suggesting you should.... people can travel with upwards of $10,000 (declared) and can travel on ESTA for up to 90 days. 

Well, a lot of us used ESTA before so we can talk from experience, and of course, the evidence should only be presented when asked not before.

I have asked an immigration lawyer who gave me those ties list and the recommendation to bring the least possible cash and the other advice I gave. While I paid 300$ for all this the rest get it for free... But of course, everyone is free to just go unprepared and get trapped... 

They will probably just ask for the purpose of visit, sometimes that's just it. Don't throw all proof of ties in their faces if they don't ask for it. You are worrying way too much, honestly. Only provide more information if they ask for it. Keep your answers short; "Purpose of visit?" -> "Vacation/Visiting my girlfriend." 

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

They will probably just ask for the purpose of visit, sometimes that's just it. Don't throw all proof of ties in their faces if they don't ask for it. You are worrying way too much, honestly. Only provide more information if they ask for it. Keep your answers short; "Purpose of visit?" -> "Vacation/Visiting my girlfriend." 

This is more along the lines of what I was getting at. Exactly this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey!

As said before, you dont need to worry. Everything will be fine.

I'm German and I've only had a hard time once entering the US with ESTA. But it was all attitude from the officer. It was a Black lady and she seemed like she didn't have such a great day. But in the end she allowed me to enter so it turned out fine. The other 2 officers I met were super nice and they were just talking to me about shooter games cause I met my now wife online playing black ops on ps3.

I've stayed twice for 3 Months and one time for 2 weeks (at her house) without any ties to home except my phone contract. They've asked me once how much money I have in my card but they didn't want to see any proof whatsoever. Of course it varies what they want to see and what not but as long as you answer their questions truthfully ur gonna be fine. 

Also, take all the advice from above serious and take everything with you for just in case especially if you're unsure. Even if you dont need it, better safe than sorry! 

PS: All I had to enter was my passport, my ticket, the ESTA document which I printed out for just in case and $100 cash. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hey, 

I'm also from the UK. I went for a visit 2 weeks ago, we have our interview booked and I had no problems - despite having like 3 bags as I was moving al lot of my stuff over. I wrote a blog post about the experience if you want to read it, https://yaztalksalot.wordpress.com/2017/05/25/visiting-the-us-whilst-your-k1-visa-is-processing/ 

If you've got any questions feel free to message me :)

Yaz x

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Travel Insurance is a good idea, travelling with that amount of cash is not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.