Transborderwife

Atlanta immigration detainee dies

118 posts in this topic

Washington Times calls him an illegal immigrant but gives no proof to back up that claim. If there's one thing that drives me absolutely bananas about the press is that they have no understanding of immigration any more than the average Joe does - leading to a good many more people being uneducated and misled.

The facts again seem to be he asked to enter and for whatever reason was denied entry - at best the vague ''not having necessary documents'' - this could range from he was an idiot that wasn't aware he needed a visa, to his visa had something wrong or missing, he thought his visa was valid when it wasn't, he forgot something, a mistake was made, or any whole host of a range of things from benign to nefarious (though no claim was made that he misrepresented himself or presented false documents). That still does not make him an illegal immigrant. And yes, he should have been removed immediately. But the question is really, why wasn't he? Calling him an illegal immigrant further compounds the problem of actual illegal immigration. If people want to solve the problem, they need to actually understand it first and find real solutions to fixing it.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
35 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

So he was from India and tried to use the backdoor to get in the USA.....Interesting...... Should have sent him back to India. 

Was he using the back door? Is that the name of the Atlanta Airport?

Edited by CaliCat

Just now, CaliCat said:

Was he using the back door? Is that the name of the Atlanta Airport?

The backdoor I referred to was Ecuador. But I can tell you have never actually been down by the border and seen the CBP signs written in Chinese, English, and Spanish. A fair number of people from outside of the Americas come to Mexico and try to sneak in. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

The backdoor I referred to was Ecuador. But I can tell you have never actually been down by the border and seen the CBP signs written in Chinese, English, and Spanish. A fair number of people from outside of the Americas come to Mexico and try to sneak in. 

Hardly. He arrived in the US at an international port of entry and was denied admittance. So, everyone who comes from Ecuador is entering through the backdoor? How's a flight into an airport the size of Atlanta considered a back door?

Edited by CaliCat

Just now, CaliCat said:

Hardly. He arrived in the US at an international port of entry and was denied admittance. So, everyone who comes from Ecuador is entering through the backdoor? 

Nice try arguing semantics, but it ain't going to work at all. The backdoor would be that he flew to Ecuador, and then tried to use his so called valid visa(That you say) and passport to enter the country in Atlanta. Sorry to bust your bubble but selling and buying fraudulent visas are a huge business in some parts of the world, and I think that's what happened here. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Nice try arguing semantics, but it ain't going to work at all. The backdoor would be that he flew to Ecuador, and then tried to use his so called valid visa(That you say) and passport to enter the country in Atlanta. Sorry to bust your bubble but selling and buying fraudulent visas are a huge business in some parts of the world, and I think that's what happened here. 

I'm not arguing semantics. I'm arguing your misinformed statements, and baseless claims; and really they hardly warrant any argument, when they can't stand on their own even for a split second. 

Edited by CaliCat

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
24 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Calling him an illegal immigrant further compounds the problem of actual illegal immigration. If people want to solve the problem, they need to actually understand it first and find real solutions to fixing it.

Ìt starts at the top and works it's way down.

The word is used by members of both parties and by your explanation it would appear they are using it incorrectly. So it's no wonder it is used by less educated people and those of us of a foreign persuasion.  

Mar-15-2017 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

Mar-21-2017 - NOA1 Priority date & Case assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Dec-15-2017 - NOA2 I-130 approved

Jan-08-2018 -  NVC received

Jan-17-2018 - Received DS-261 AOS bill

Jan-17-2018 - Paid DS-261 AOS bill & submit 

Jan-26-2018 - Received IV bill

Jan-27-2018 - Paid IV bill

Feb-10-2018 - Send IV package

Feb-13-2018 - Scan Date

Feb-27-2018 - NVC Case Complete

Mar-17-2018   Receive interview date for April, St Patrick's Day good day to be Irish

Apr-17-2018    Interview at Dublin Embassy 

Apr-17-2018    Interview completed now in AP pending submitting other paperwork

Apr-25-2018    Additional information provided as requested 

May-09-2018   Visa approved, CEAC status changed to "Issued"

May-11-2018   Passport returned along with envelope for border control. 

Sep-18-2018    Entry through US Precleance Dublin, no problems at all.

Aug-27-2021   N400 for citizenship based on 3 year rule filed electronically

Aug-27-2021   NOA1 application received

Oct-02-2021    Notification of biometrics date

Oct-26-2021    Biometrics 

Jul-27-2022     Interview Raleigh NC, passed and same day oath

17 minutes ago, Mr&Mrs G. said:

The word is used by members of both parties and by your explanation it would appear they are using it incorrectly. So it's no wonder it is used by less educated people and those of us of a foreign persuasion.  

It is up to those of us who have been through the system, with our foreign spouses to educate the public and fight to fix the system. If you are the immigrant and haven't arrived here to America yet, be prepared to be bombarded daily by stupid questions from people who always have an opinion about immigration on the one hand, and then on the other will be shocked with disbelief when you inform them how the legal immigration process actually is.

I'm also going to point out very carefully to those debating above, that ICE in their statement never called Patel an illegal immigrant either. No matter what documents he may or may not have had or assumptions being made as to what his intent was - he was still merely refused at the border. He definitely should have been removed promptly, but now he's dead.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Mr&Mrs G. said:

I hope you are never denied access to US Soil...I would hate to label you an illegal

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
50 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mr&Mrs G. said:

When it comes to immigration, the term 'illegal immigrant' is a misnomer, but one that fits a dishonest narrative embraced by some. You can join the group of ill-informed individuals and use it at will, or you can do some research into American immigration law, and use the correct words. One of these days you'll be landing here as an immigrant, and you'll find yourself on the the other side of the thick plexiglass on secondary inspection. It will probably make more sense then.  

Edited by CaliCat

Timeline
2 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Washington Times calls him an illegal immigrant but gives no proof to back up that claim. If there's one thing that drives me absolutely bananas about the press is that they have no understanding of immigration any more than the average Joe does - leading to a good many more people being uneducated and misled.

The facts again seem to be he asked to enter and for whatever reason was denied entry - at best the vague ''not having necessary documents'' - this could range from he was an idiot that wasn't aware he needed a visa, to his visa had something wrong or missing, he thought his visa was valid when it wasn't, he forgot something, a mistake was made, or any whole host of a range of things from benign to nefarious (though no claim was made that he misrepresented himself or presented false documents). That still does not make him an illegal immigrant. And yes, he should have been removed immediately. But the question is really, why wasn't he? Calling him an illegal immigrant further compounds the problem of actual illegal immigration. If people want to solve the problem, they need to actually understand it first and find real solutions to fixing it.

What classifies this person as an illegal isn't their intent of migrating to the US. SCOTUS has affirmed this use. Their presence alone can make them an illegal. Sorry if you disagree but your opinion is rather irrelevant.

Edited by IAMX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I guess my reply didn't come across right.

Doing a little reading earlier I came across an article from Time magazine from 2012 and it named several prominent politicians and media people who were incorrectly using the word illegal to describe people. I can only remember three from the article, Bill O'Reilly, Mitt Romney and Chuck Shumer were each mentioned for using the word at the wrong time.

My response to yuna's reply was to acknowledge that she was correct. But we are influenced by what we see and hear on the tv and other media sources and that is a justification as to why the word gets used in the wrong instances.

This does not mean that I believe ice didn't anything wrong in either case mentioned earlier. The guy who travelled from India to the USA via Ecuador should have been stopped by one of the airlines before he boarded. The onus is on the airline to make sure we travel with the correct documentation or they pay the bill to return the passenger back where they came from. 

The guy who hung himself should have been brought to the airport the moment he was picked up by ice and put on a plane back to Panama. This guy would have been classed as an illegal after his next hearing.

Mar-15-2017 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

Mar-21-2017 - NOA1 Priority date & Case assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Dec-15-2017 - NOA2 I-130 approved

Jan-08-2018 -  NVC received

Jan-17-2018 - Received DS-261 AOS bill

Jan-17-2018 - Paid DS-261 AOS bill & submit 

Jan-26-2018 - Received IV bill

Jan-27-2018 - Paid IV bill

Feb-10-2018 - Send IV package

Feb-13-2018 - Scan Date

Feb-27-2018 - NVC Case Complete

Mar-17-2018   Receive interview date for April, St Patrick's Day good day to be Irish

Apr-17-2018    Interview at Dublin Embassy 

Apr-17-2018    Interview completed now in AP pending submitting other paperwork

Apr-25-2018    Additional information provided as requested 

May-09-2018   Visa approved, CEAC status changed to "Issued"

May-11-2018   Passport returned along with envelope for border control. 

Sep-18-2018    Entry through US Precleance Dublin, no problems at all.

Aug-27-2021   N400 for citizenship based on 3 year rule filed electronically

Aug-27-2021   NOA1 application received

Oct-02-2021    Notification of biometrics date

Oct-26-2021    Biometrics 

Jul-27-2022     Interview Raleigh NC, passed and same day oath