8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all,

We filed for AOS in December (living near Tahoe City, CA) and are now planning on moving to Oakland, CA for the beginning of June. My EAD was approved successfully in March and the case status for the i-485 has been sitting at "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" since then as well.

My question is:  Will moving to a new place potentially slow our application processing?

We will obviously update our physical and mailing address with USCIS once we move/have the info, my curiosity is in whether the case may move from one "local office" to another by us moving ourselves. I haven't been able to determine which office our application would be at - or if it's even made it to a local office yet to begin with, so I'm not sure what to anticipate from here on out.

Any similar experience/feedback appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

It could possibly delay the process depending on how busy the field offices are.

Getting the "Case ready for Interview" update generally means that your files are already with the local field office in charge for your county. And since you'll be moving, the case will likely be transferred to another field office since the Oakland seems to be roughly 4 hours away from Tahoe City. So that means you could end up at the back of the interview queue of your new field office again. You should definitely give USCIS a call and explain your situation to see if something can be done about this. You don't want to risk having to drive 4 hours for your AOS interview. 

Timeline

So far from what I can tell, our local office is Reno, NV as they're geographically closest to Tahoe City and that is where I was sent to have my biometrics done. The Reno office is allegedly processing cases filed on January 2016 (yikes) whereas the San Francisco office is processing cases filed in June 2016 - 6 months ahead.

So far this has been all that I have to go on; Would it follow logically that if our case is moved to the San Francisco office where they're ahead, that our case may in fact get processed faster than if we stayed where we are?

You're right that I should probably call USCIS and see what they say, but the mis-information line has failed me a zillion times, so I'd love to see if anyone else has first hand experience moving like this

Timeline

** Addendum

Then again, if we're successfully being processed through the Sacramento field office (as you'd think we should, as we're in Placer county in CA) then they're processing cases filed as of Sept 2016 and so theoretically we'd only be 3 months from approval!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 5/15/2017 at 7:32 PM, Charlene/Neale said:

** Addendum

Then again, if we're successfully being processed through the Sacramento field office (as you'd think we should, as we're in Placer county in CA) then they're processing cases filed as of Sept 2016 and so theoretically we'd only be 3 months from approval!

Did you call or find anything out? I am also curious about the answers to your questions, specifically:

- will they tell you where your case file is / where your interview will be?

We might have to move right around the time we are expecting the SF office to schedule our interview. I am wondering what happens if we have to move (out of state) right before the interview. I would come back to SF for the interview rather than rescheduling it in the new local office and having to wait all over again.

Timeline

I haven't been able to find out any answers, but I have now moved to SF/Oakland so I'll be updating my address with USCIS asap. We'll see what happens!

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, catdog514 said:

We might have to move right around the time we are expecting the SF office to schedule our interview. I am wondering what happens if we have to move (out of state) right before the interview. I would come back to SF for the interview rather than rescheduling it in the new local office and having to wait all over again.

What happened? Did you move out of state right before the interview?

We're facing the same problem.... thinking about moving from NY to OR right before our potential interview date... we really don't want to start our wait all over again :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 12/14/2017 at 3:40 PM, Avsiws said:

What happened? Did you move out of state right before the interview?

We're facing the same problem.... thinking about moving from NY to OR right before our potential interview date... we really don't want to start our wait all over again :(

Hey, sorry I am not able to be of much help! We ended up getting our interview appointment and approval rather quickly, and received our card in the mail about a month before we ended up leaving the state. Having gone through it, I would be hesitant to move and try to go back for the interview. You never know what can happen and I'd be nervous about an unreported move coming to light during the interview process. If at all possible, wait to move until after you have your card in hand. Good luck to you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.