CandyManby

Refused Visa due to past DUI & Medical

60 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2017 at 0:05 PM, aless02 said:

Sounds really strange from everything I've read about how Knightsbridge behave and how the ConOffs give out information. What did the Dr say? what were their indicators that they were going to give an unfavorable medical recommendation?

AFAIK the DUI is not a usual reason for denial on its own as it's not a Crime Involving Moral Turptitude. That's the only real criminal grounds for a denial, so it must've been the medical. Very strange Knightsbridge didn't more fully discuss with your husband or even ask his GP for more info, etc.

Oh just had a thought...visas can be temporarily put into hold if there is an unfavorable medical (for example, a positive drug urine test). Is that what the ConOff meant by re-apply (by which they should've said, go for another medical)? Or is it a flat-down denial?

when you go for your medical exam at Knightsbridge are they actually doing a drug test during the exam? My hubby doesn't believe me when I tell him that is what they are doing.

12 hours ago, Sarah Marie said:

when you go for your medical exam at Knightsbridge are they actually doing a drug test during the exam? My hubby doesn't believe me when I tell him that is what they are doing.

I would say yes. There's no point in risking it

UPDATE! I've sent an email to the embassy for further information and apparently we do not need to reapply. They said that my husband just needs a new medical exam from Knightsbridge when the current one expires and when they receive the new one they will review his application. I've never really heard of this before but we are so pleased and looking forward to a better outcome!

16 hours ago, Sarah Marie said:

I have read they only do it if you either have a criminal history involving drugs or admit to any use, past or present, on the questionnaire. They supposedly don't test everyone as a matter of course, though.

I am the USC, my husband is a UKC. IR-1 via DCF London.

3/24/2017: I-130 packet sent

3/28/2017: NOA1 date

5/19/2017: NOA2 date (received 5/25)

6/14/2017: LND number received

6/27/2017: medical booked

6/29/2017: Knightsbridge call that needs to come back for 2nd chest x-ray

6/30/2017: 2nd chest x-ray

7/3/2017: Knightsbridge call to confirm x-ray was clear

7/5/2017: interview booked - approved in principle pending receipt of medical

7/6/2017: status changed to Issued

7/09/2017: e-mail from courier that it had been received from embassy

7/10/2017: courier delivered

future:

8/8/2017: POE Denver In'tl Airport

35 minutes ago, aless02 said:

I have read they only do it if you either have a criminal history involving drugs or admit to any use, past or present, on the questionnaire. They supposedly don't test everyone as a matter of course, though.

It's better to just go in clean tho. It's a lot of money and time to be wasted on not being able to stay clean for a bit before the exam

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, CandyManby said:

It's better to just go in clean tho. It's a lot of money and time to be wasted on not being able to stay clean for a bit before the exam

and after

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

21 hours ago, CandyManby said:

well obviously, I was just saying that so people wouldn't be scared that Knightsbridge are 'out to get them' or anything.

I am the USC, my husband is a UKC. IR-1 via DCF London.

3/24/2017: I-130 packet sent

3/28/2017: NOA1 date

5/19/2017: NOA2 date (received 5/25)

6/14/2017: LND number received

6/27/2017: medical booked

6/29/2017: Knightsbridge call that needs to come back for 2nd chest x-ray

6/30/2017: 2nd chest x-ray

7/3/2017: Knightsbridge call to confirm x-ray was clear

7/5/2017: interview booked - approved in principle pending receipt of medical

7/6/2017: status changed to Issued

7/09/2017: e-mail from courier that it had been received from embassy

7/10/2017: courier delivered

future:

8/8/2017: POE Denver In'tl Airport

On 5/16/2017 at 4:03 AM, CandyManby said:

UPDATE! I've sent an email to the embassy for further information and apparently we do not need to reapply. They said that my husband just needs a new medical exam from Knightsbridge when the current one expires and when they receive the new one they will review his application. I've never really heard of this before but we are so pleased and looking forward to a better outcome!

But without knowing what the problem was with the original medical you are going to be in the same position again. He can't go and re-do the medical and lie to change the answers so that he is approved. Not that I'm suggesting he would but if he goes back and does the medical all over again under the same circumstances and the same tests the result will be the same, surely? If I were you, I'd want to know that was "wrong" with the first medical and why a new medical will change the outcome if your husband's situation has not changed. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

On 21 May 2017 at 1:55 PM, JFH said:

But without knowing what the problem was with the original medical you are going to be in the same position again. He can't go and re-do the medical and lie to change the answers so that he is approved. Not that I'm suggesting he would but if he goes back and does the medical all over again under the same circumstances and the same tests the result will be the same, surely? If I were you, I'd want to know that was "wrong" with the first medical and why a new medical will change the outcome if your husband's situation has not changed. 

He needed to completely quit drinking because they saw still having drinks on the weekend as too much of an opportunity for the same thing to happen so even tho he is barely a drinker he has completely stopped and will be taking another exam in September 

5 minutes ago, CandyManby said:

He needed to completely quit drinking because they saw still having drinks on the weekend as too much of an opportunity for the same thing to happen so even tho he is barely a drinker he has completely stopped and will be taking another exam in September 

Goodness! That's harsh! I've not heard that before that even social or occasional drinking is a cause for concern. I had my medical in November last year and I said I have an occasional cold beer in the summer. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Just now, JFH said:

Goodness! That's harsh! I've not heard that before that even social or occasional drinking is a cause for concern. I had my medical in November last year and I said I have an occasional cold beer in the summer. 

It's because of his DUI from 9 years ago. They can also test your blood to see how hard your liver is working due to excess alcohol consumption that's why we figure it be best to just stop completely, especially with a little one on the way 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, JFH said:

When it comes to addiction and/or mental Heath concerns in this country it seems like complete and utter abstinence is the only answer.  I've seen times where people have been admonished for admittingnbto casual drinking.

1 minute ago, Transborderwife said:

When it comes to addiction and/or mental Heath concerns in this country it seems like complete and utter abstinence is the only answer.  I've seen times where people have been admonished for admittingnbto casual drinking.

Yeah that's what it seems like which I understand where they are coming from. We just feel so lucky to have an opportunity to provide a better result with this exam. Fingers crossed as I would love to raise my baby with my family around.

• 6 years later...
On 5/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, CandyManby said:

Yeah that's what it seems like which I understand where they are coming from. We just feel so lucky to have an opportunity to provide a better result with this exam. Fingers crossed as I would love to raise my baby with my family around.

Hi, very late to this thread but what was the outcome please? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.