MWCC

Can i get my U.S. citizenship while out of the U.S.

36 posts in this topic

Similar issue was addressed a few years back and good suggestions were made. I believe a member went to US and got her conditional green card and applied for re-entry permit which is valid for 2 years. Not sure how long your husband is going to be overseas but I think this options buys you some time.

21 hours ago, MWCC said:

We are planning to come back to the U.S. when we filed for immigration, but he got a new job and he couldn't let the promotion pass. The original plan was repatriation. While we are getting ready to move, the new job came. Now, my visa validity is limited. He manages an american bank in the PH. We are planning to repatriate but an opportunity came. So he had to take it. I am thinking how are we going to get through this as a family.. i am getting really sad

How are you going to get through what? You are living with your husband and child in your home country and he has just been given a fantastic job offer that he couldn't refuse. Sounds like paradise. You're talking to people here who spend months or years apart from their spouses and children. 

Stay at with him in your country and live together as a happy family. So you lost a bit of money on a visa you can't use. It could be worse. Re-file when he's ready to return to the USA. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

11 hours ago, JFH said:

How are you going to get through what? You are living with your husband and child in your home country and he has just been given a fantastic job offer that he couldn't refuse. Sounds like paradise. You're talking to people here who spend months or years apart from their spouses and children. 

Stay at with him in your country and live together as a happy family. So you lost a bit of money on a visa you can't use. It could be worse. Re-file when he's ready to return to the USA. 

Thank you for the reply. I guess i have to consider an immigration lawyer because this stuff is more complicated. I appreciate the help you extended. 

14 hours ago, hasmax80 said:

Similar issue was addressed a few years back and good suggestions were made. I believe a member went to US and got her conditional green card and applied for re-entry permit which is valid for 2 years. Not sure how long your husband is going to be overseas but I think this options buys you some time.

Thank you for this. You have been a great help 😀

17 hours ago, 2far said:

If I were in your position, I would cancel the spouse visa and reapply for the tourist visa.

When you are ready to move to the USA as a family, then apply for the spouse visa again.

It doesn't make sense for you to leave your family and go to the USA alone, just to receive a green card, and then move back to your home country.

Cancel it for now.  Reapply when you are ready to move to the USA with your husband.

I had a B1/B2 visa prior to the immigrant visa. I have to get an immigration lawyer to check my options. I am afraid they won't give me a tourist visa anymore as i already applied an immigrant one. Thanks for the help and the time to answer. 😀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You should be able to get the tourist visa back.

Having to pay again for another spousal visa in a few years is annoying, but not that big a deal.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

25 minutes ago, Penguin_ie said:

You should be able to get the tourist visa back.

Having to pay again for another spousal visa in a few years is annoying, but not that big a deal.

I hope they give it back to me. Thank you for your reply.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:08 PM, cyberfx1024 said:

At this point in time there is really only two ways of going forward: 1. Stay in the Philippines and reapply later for the CR1/IR1 visa when you are for sure going back to the USA. 2. Go to the USA and then file for the re-entry permit so that you can leave for a longer period of time without having to give up your greencard. 

As of right now I don't think they would give you a B2 visa back because you have an Amerikano asawa, and that means that you may just use that to immigrate to the USA. 

We are definitely immigrating, my husband's domicile is still the U.S. Our taxes are filed in the U.S. too. Probably i will go witj option 2. 

5 minutes ago, MWCC said:

We are definitely immigrating, my husband's domicile is still the U.S. Our taxes are filed in the U.S. too. Probably i will go witj option 2. 

As stated before why not just wait then until you have a more clear picture of what his job situation will be? He of course has to file taxes to the USA if he is making money anywhere in the world. 

8 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

As stated before why not just wait then until you have a more clear picture of what his job situation will be? He of course has to file taxes to the USA if he is making money anywhere in the world. 

We already paid for it and the whole process is draining. If your wife did k1 visa as fiancee before, she probably would tell you she doesn't wanna do it again lol. 

Edited by MWCC

4 minutes ago, MWCC said:

We already paid for it and the whole process is draining. If your wife did k1 visa as fiancee before, she probably would tell you she doesn't wanna do it again lol. 

Ah ok then completely understandable. My wife lives in Davao so it was a challenge at having to keep going up to Manila for this or that. I swear I spent over $10k over the course of the K1, AOS, and the ROC. 

2 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Ah ok then completely understandable. My wife lives in Davao so it was a challenge at having to keep going up to Manila for this or that. I swear I spent over $10k over the course of the K1, AOS, and the ROC. 

It was so easy for others to say just re-file etc. The whole process is draining. The energy, time, effort, money spent just to do this was insabe. Imagine $10k??? Could've used the money for rainy days fund or college fund. I love my husband a lot, i totally support him in whatever he does (or wants to live), even if it means leaving all i have here. But having to do that over again will be a nightmare. That's why i am asking around if there's another way to do it. You have been most helpful, others replied just to troll without fully understanding where i am coming from lol. Thank you 😀

5 minutes ago, MWCC said:

It was so easy for others to say just re-file etc. The whole process is draining. The energy, time, effort, money spent just to do this was insabe. Imagine $10k??? Could've used the money for rainy days fund or college fund. I love my husband a lot, i totally support him in whatever he does (or wants to live), even if it means leaving all i have here. But having to do that over again will be a nightmare. That's why i am asking around if there's another way to do it. You have been most helpful, others replied just to troll without fully understanding where i am coming from lol. Thank you 😀

Totally understand. Why not when you go to the USA spend some time with your in laws until you get your green card and then come back to the Philippines. But yes $10k USD is alot of money but at least everything has worked out, and right now I am trying to convince her to file for citizenship as well. But she is alittle scared so it might be later on this year before I can convince her. 

3 hours ago, MWCC said:

Since he is resident in the Philippines I assume you went through DCF? If not, you certainly should do so next time. 

You asked a question on a public forum. Don't be surprised that some of the answers are not what you were hoping for. 

Please note that it's hard for many people who go through the entire process thousands of miles APART from their spouse and children, who don't have the luxury of speedy DCF, to understand what you found draining about the process or what is upsetting you. You want us to have empathy with your situation but you need to understand the situation of others too. Yes the process was awful. I couldn't see my husband for 8 months before I immigrated. And I consider myself lucky that I was able to see my husband more than once a year. I was admitted to the hospital to be assessed for brain surgery to cure epilepsy - alone without my husband. We spent the first two years of married life apart and waiting for permission to live together. We went through a visa denial before we had an approval. It was an awful time. Being apart from my husband was an unimaginable pain. Be thankful you didn't have to spend all that time apart. Be very, very thankful. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.