qwoppy

Building my Credit Score

84 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Transborderwife said:

It all comes back to health care ??

lmao "who knew health care was so hard" 

1 minute ago, Transborderwife said:

when I worked in credit counseling one of the main things we looked at were patterns, for example if there was a sudden credit crash due to a major life event (divorce, death, etc).  Or if someone is just irresponsible with money

Makes total sense :)

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
12 hours ago, E and R said:

Can't be on a mortgage with BoA unless you have two years of credit history.

That depends on each individual circumstance. I was able to secure my own auto loan with BOFA after being in the country for a month. I also secured my own mortgage with BOFA after being in the country for nine months. 

OP, it'll take roughly six months until you have a credit score. I built mine through;

- creditcard with my bank

- auto loan with my bank

- store creditcards

- American Express creditcard

- Paying off my creditcards in full every month

- Not utilizing more than 30% on each credit card 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Here is what worked for me.

After I immigrated my husband and I opened a joint bank account (with just debit cards etc). As there were regular deposits, in about 6 months or so I received my first credit card offer in the mail. It was Capital One so a horrible deal but the point is to get started. Then I used it very little and eventually stopped using it all together.

That made my credit score excellent.  So after you can get real credit cards with low interest rates, apply for loans etc.

1 hour ago, Jeniafrench said:

Here is what worked for me.

After I immigrated my husband and I opened a joint bank account (with just debit cards etc). As there were regular deposits, in about 6 months or so I received my first credit card offer in the mail. It was Capital One so a horrible deal but the point is to get started. Then I used it very little and eventually stopped using it all together.

That made my credit score excellent.  So after you can get real credit cards with low interest rates, apply for loans etc.

I'm currently doing the same thing, joint bank account with my husband's, he made supp credit cards for me. It shows that we have the same credit scores. I'm confused if that is actually my credit score or not since its the same. After months, banks such as Capital One, Citibank etc did offer me credit cards, but I tried to apply and was rejected. Ever since I stopped applying credit cards of my own, I guess this is because I am jobless?(been 8 months since I applied, and cos of it we have inquiries in our records) I even attempted to open my own bank accounts such as Bofa, Chase etc with only my name on it but was rejected too.

So is my credit score actually the same as my husband's or not?  Im so confused lol

Thanks everyone in advanced.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

9 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

I'm currently doing the same thing, joint bank account with my husband's, he made supp credit cards for me. In our bank accounts FICO shows that we have the same credit scores. I'm confused if that is actually my credit score or not since its the same. After months, banks such as Capital One, Citibank etc did offer me credit cards, but I tried to apply and was rejected. Ever since I stopped applying credit cards of my own, I guess this is because I am jobless?(been 8 months since I applied, and cos of it we have inquiries in our records) I even attempted to open my own bank accounts such as Bofa, Chase etc with only my name on it but was rejected too.

So is my credit score actually the same as my husband's or not? 

Unfortunately I am not so familiar with this and whether you saw your score or your husband's.

When you got the offers, which credit card did you apply for first? Capital One is known for being a bad one. So it probably is easier to get it vs BofA. Also, every time you apply, it affects your score. So if you go and apply to 2-3 cards in a row, that is not going to benefit you. Probably the same applies to bank account. Maybe it is better for you to wait for a little bit.

I had a job almost right away after I moved so that could have been a factor but I don't know for sure.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, qwoppy said:

Hi,

So I've been in the US a few months now, and admittedly I should have perhaps looked into this earlier, but better late than never. My wife has a high credit score, we're fairly sure it's "excellent". As far as I'm aware, I don't have a credit score. I tried to check via credit karma, but I don't think i've been in the country long enough for the database to find me. 

So, my wife has a credit card with USBank. Can I get added to this in some way that I can be building my credit score up on the sidelines? 

Thanks

Let your wife add you to her account and make you an authorized user. My dad did the same for me and now I have longer credit history thanks to him since of starting low.

Her credit history will give you a boost instead of you starting from a zero.

There's a group on facebook called credit warrior that you can join and learn about building credit and repairing credit history.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

18 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

I'm currently doing the same thing, joint bank account with my husband's, he made supp credit cards for me. It shows that we have the same credit scores. I'm confused if that is actually my credit score or not since its the same. After months, banks such as Capital One, Citibank etc did offer me credit cards, but I tried to apply and was rejected. Ever since I stopped applying credit cards of my own, I guess this is because I am jobless?(been 8 months since I applied, and cos of it we have inquiries in our records) I even attempted to open my own bank accounts such as Bofa, Chase etc with only my name on it but was rejected too.

So is my credit score actually the same as my husband's or not?  Im so confused lol

Where does it say that your credit score is the same as your husbands. How long have you been on his account? Are you a joint holder or an authorized user? All pre-approved offers are just preliminary. You will never know if you are approved until they actually do the hard inquiry. Yes, you have to be very careful with applying for credit. It puts hard inquiries on your report every time and this can really hurt you score as they stay on your report for long time. These reasons are why starting with a secured card before doing anything else is the best thing to do.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

giphy.gif

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

you are going about it the wrong way. 

You have credit history but creditors especially banks, look at YOUR income also. So get a job first, open a checking account and after 6months or so, you can apply for credit card from that bank.

Also, you probably have added some unnecessary hard inquiries to your credit report.

Apply for credit cards that send you pre-approval in the mail. You have a better chance with them and they have already done a soft pull on your credit so no need for a new hard inquiry.

There are several groups on facebook that educate ppl about things like this. Try credit warrior on facebook, it is a DIY page.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

14 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

Where does it say that your credit score is the same as your husbands. How long have you been on his account? Are you a joint holder or an authorized user? All pre-approved offers are just preliminary. You will never know if you are approved until they actually do the hard inquiry. Yes, you have to be very careful with applying for credit. It puts hard inquiries on your report every time and this can really hurt you score as they stay on your report for long time. These reasons are why starting with a secured card before doing anything else is the best thing to do.

Thanks guys, yeah after having that hard inquiry, I realized that having a job is important too.

We have our joint bank accounts for a year and half. I'm the joint holder, all his banks have my name included in, both credit karma and FICO in banks showed we have the same scores. 

Up to date, its been almost close to two years, I am not able to open a bank account on my own.

I'll probably look into having secured card.

11 minutes ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

you are going about it the wrong way. 

You have credit history but creditors especially banks, look at YOUR income also. So get a job first, open a checking account and after 6months or so, you can apply for credit card from that bank.

Also, you probably have added some unnecessary hard inquiries to your credit report.

Apply for credit cards that send you pre-approval in the mail. You have a better chance with them and they have already done a soft pull on your credit so no need for a new hard inquiry.

There are several groups on facebook that educate ppl about things like this. Try credit warrior on facebook, it is a DIY page.

The credit cards that rejected me and I applied for are the ones from the pre-approval mails! I'm not sure why they even sent me those.

Edited by Roy&Chanel

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

2 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

Thanks guys, yeah after having that hard inquiry, I realized that having a job is important too.

We have our joint bank accounts for a year and half. I'm the joint holder, all his banks have my name included in, both credit karma and FICO in banks showed we have the same scores. 

Up to date, its been almost close to two years, I am not able to open a bank account on my own.

The credit cards that rejected me are the ones from the pre-approval mails! I'm not sure why they even sent me those.

First, there are banks that will let you open your own account as soon as you arrive in the US. Second, yes I would recommend getting at least ONE card with your own name only. Having an income naturally matters. I had a decent amount of savings which helped me. From the information you have provided I would also think that not having an income might have been why you were originally denied credit, since some credit providers put high importance on this... the rest could have been a ripple effect, it's hard to say without all and any financial information about both you and your husband. 8 months from your last inquiry is good though and you should be able to get a secured card and build your credit. I haven't looked at the facebook group that was recommended by the previous poster, but that could be a good idea for you, with  many ppl in the same situation helping each other out for that specific purpose. :) Good luck

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

The credit cards that rejected me and I applied for are the ones from the pre-approval mails! I'm not sure why they even sent me those.

did you use the confirmation code in the pre-approval letter?

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

I'm using a secure card with Wells Fargo.

I've had it a month and sadly no credit score yet but I believe it takes 3+ months of usage to show.

My wife has a excellent credit score but I'd rather build up my own. 

2 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

First, there are banks that will let you open your own account as soon as you arrive in the US. Second, yes I would recommend getting at least ONE card with your own name only. Having an income naturally matters. I had a decent amount of savings which helped me. From the information you have provided I would also think that not having an income might have been why you were originally denied credit, since some credit providers put high importance on this... the rest could have been a ripple effect, it's hard to say without all and any financial information about both you and your husband. 8 months from your last inquiry is good though and you should be able to get a secured card and build your credit. I haven't looked at the facebook group that was recommended by the previous poster, but that could be a good idea for you, with  many ppl in the same situation helping each other out for that specific purpose. :) Good luck

What's a good secured card to recommend? CapitalOne?

1 minute ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

did you use the confirmation code in the pre-approval letter?

Yes we did

20 minutes ago, Roy&Chanel said:

DO NOT USE THESE.

Numerous people have actually damaged their credit score by using these and bankers at my bank and my wife's bank have both said these are the worst way possible to build credit.

You've also damaged your credit score slightly by applying for numerous cards and getting rejected.

I believe it knocks 5 points off your FICO score every time you apply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.