DutchGuy

K-1 Co-sponsor and obligated wedding?

38 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DutchGuy said:

- How much money would be suggested for this whole process? Think about fee's, living without a job for a few months etc etc. 
- How can you best explain to a co-sponsor what he/she is signing for?
- How much would the entire process take time-wise?
- Would it be advised to get a lawyer?

- Can someone explain the sponsoring in ELI5 form. It is very confusing for me right now. 

Sponsoring in ELI5 Form - I am not sure what this is, so I am not going to answer this question and pretend I know what it is!

I would advise you to continue looking through the Visa journey website, look under the Guides tab for an idea of the steps for each process and consider which ones would be more beneficial to you. Download and fill out the documents on your computer and thoroughly read the instructions for the USCIS forms you are submitting so you understand them. It is pretty straightforward. If there is something about your case (if the USC has filed multiple petitions for other people, if either of you are criminals, etc.) you can look into how to go about doing things and consider if a lawyer would be beneficial. I took time to understand the forms and the process, and turned to fellow VJers when I reached a point where I needed assistance. We aren't experts here, but we have been through it and don't charge thousands of dollars for advice. I think you would be able to get through it without a lawyer. 

It took my husband and I about one week to put together our I-129F packet, I visited while we put it together so we could ensure we had everything together, everything was signed and information was correct. It was four months from the date we sent it to our interview date, it took me a week to receive my visa in the mail because it was sent out over the Christmas holidays. A week and a half after my interview I moved to the US. You can get a better idea of processing times for different forms for your country at the USCIS website or under the Processing Times tab. My husband and I didn't have any RFEs, our Administrative Processing took 1 day, and I sent off my information to the Consulate the day they received my package instead of waiting for the paperwork they mailed me like most are supposed to, which made it 3 weeks faster.

If you go to the USCIS website and look at the Instructions for forms I-134, I-864, I-864A (if it is a household combining income) it will tell you exactly what the person is agreeing to and for how long. The instructions of almost every form includes the Purpose of the form on the first page. For the I-864 you're agreeing to use your resources to support the immigrant so they do not become a public charge. If the immigrant uses certain meanstested public benefits, you may be required to repay the cost, if you fail to repay the cost the agency may sue you. The obligation ends when the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen; works 40 qualifying quarters (10 years); you or the immigrant dies; or the immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident. Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

As for the cost of the K1, here is a complete breakdown of what I paid:

$535 for I-129F

$265 for K1 Visa

$115 Shipping Documents

$240 CAD Medical 
$60 CAD Chest X-ray, 
$33.60 CAD Urine and Blood Tests 
$20 CAD Shipping for Medical Results
$25 CAD Police Certificate
$35 CAD Birth Registration (I needed my long form and only had the short form)
$80 CAD Passport Photos
$500 Travel Expenses to the Interview (including gas, a cheap hotel, parking and food)
$6 Processing fee for an I-94 stamp in my passport at the Point of Entry as a K1
$20 To Have Visa Delivered to Home Address and not Canada Post Office
Total: $1934.60

We spent upwards of $1500 on travel expenses during the K1 process so we could continue to visit and support each other.

The wedding cost: 
$50 Marriage License 
$20 Recording Fee
$50 Clerk of the Peace Ceremony
$25 Copy of our Marriage Certificate
$50 to choose the day we got married if we did not want to get married on a Wednesday.
Total: $195.00

For the Adjustment of Status (and future expenses we will see)

$1,140 Filing the AOS Petition
$85 for Biometrics (fingerprints and photos)
$45 Passport Photos 
Applications for Work Authorization and Advance Parole are included in the AOS Fee, if you choose to file them at another time they would cost $410 for Work Authorization and $575 for Advance Parole.
Total: $1270.00

$595 Removal of Conditions, filed in 2 years less 90 days

$640 (+$85) for Naturalization and Biometrics, filed three years after receiving Permanent Green Card.

That is a grand total of $3994.00 if I choose not to go through with Naturalization (I am undecided at this point) not included are our travel expenses during that time.

As for living expenses while being unemployed (I used our "high" rates for electric, cable, and estimated high for gas):
$1,105 Rent
$140 Electric/Heat
$180 Cable
$130 Two Cell Phones
$165 Car Insurance (Just for him)
$400 Groceries (About $100 a week)
$120 Gas (Two Vehicles: One car driven daily, One truck only driven when I absolutely cannot be in the house anymore)
Total: $2,240.00/month

In addition to those expenses, always be prepared for unexpected ones. We had to get our car in to get serviced and found out the brakes needed to be replaced ($250), we have two kittens and one was sick and visited the vet ($450) plus we spend about $80 a month on them for food. These are all my rates. I live in Delaware, on the east coast, and I live in a nicer area in a two bedroom apartment. We considered downsizing to a one bedroom, but would need to get a storage unit for all of our stuff so the two bedroom is more affordable. Remember that these will be different depending on where you are and how big your place is. If you decide to move to your own apartment, remember most places want a deposit (usually first months rent), if you get pets there is usually a pet deposit (we paid $500 per cat), and a lot of places charge monthly pet rent (which can be up to $100 more per month). 

If your lady chooses to change her name, it will likely cost her a small fee at the DMV, to renew her passport, or any other ID she has. Also, if you decide to open a new bank account together, many require minimum deposits, which obviously they don't keep but that's money you have to have on hand to open an account.

Life is expensive. Marriage is expensive. This is just my route, there may be other less expensive options. Look into the other possible ways too.

I hope this helped!
Edited by shayden10

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

26 minutes ago, shayden10 said:

Sponsoring in ELI5 Form - I am not sure what this is, so I am not going to answer this question and pretend I know what it is!

I would advise you to continue looking through the Visa journey website, look under the Guides tab for an idea of the steps for each process and consider which ones would be more beneficial to you. Download and fill out the documents on your computer and thoroughly read the instructions for the USCIS forms you are submitting so you understand them. It is pretty straightforward. If there is something about your case (if the USC has filed multiple petitions for other people, if either of you are criminals, etc.) you can look into how to go about doing things and consider if a lawyer would be beneficial. I took time to understand the forms and the process, and turned to fellow VJers when I reached a point where I needed assistance. We aren't experts here, but we have been through it and don't charge thousands of dollars for advice. I think you would be able to get through it without a lawyer. 

It took my husband and I about one week to put together our I-129F packet, I visited while we put it together so we could ensure we had everything together, everything was signed and information was correct. It was four months from the date we sent it to our interview date, it took me a week to receive my visa in the mail because it was sent out over the Christmas holidays. A week and a half after my interview I moved to the US. You can get a better idea of processing times for different forms for your country at the USCIS website or under the Processing Times tab. My husband and I didn't have any RFEs, our Administrative Processing took 1 day, and I sent off my information to the Consulate the day they received my package instead of waiting for the paperwork they mailed me like most are supposed to, which made it 3 weeks faster.

If you go to the USCIS website and look at the Instructions for forms I-134, I-864, I-864A (if it is a household combining income) it will tell you exactly what the person is agreeing to and for how long. The instructions of almost every form includes the Purpose of the form on the first page. For the I-864 you're agreeing to use your resources to support the immigrant so they do not become a public charge. If the immigrant uses certain meanstested public benefits, you may be required to repay the cost, if you fail to repay the cost the agency may sue you. The obligation ends when the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen; works 40 qualifying quarters (10 years); you or the immigrant dies; or the immigrant ceases to be a lawful permanent resident. Divorce does not end the sponsorship obligation.

As for the cost of the K1, here is a complete breakdown of what I paid:

$535 for I-129F

$265 for K1 Visa

$115 Shipping Documents

$240 CAD Medical 
$60 CAD Chest X-ray, 
$33.60 CAD Urine and Blood Tests 
$20 CAD Shipping for Medical Results
$25 CAD Police Certificate
$35 CAD Birth Registration (I needed my long form and only had the short form)
$80 CAD Passport Photos
$500 Travel Expenses to the Interview (including gas, a cheap hotel, parking and food)
$6 Processing fee for an I-94 stamp in my passport at the Point of Entry as a K1
$20 To Have Visa Delivered to Home Address and not Canada Post Office
Total: $1934.60

We spent upwards of $1500 on travel expenses during the K1 process so we could continue to visit and support each other.

The wedding cost: 
$50 Marriage License 
$20 Recording Fee
$50 Clerk of the Peace Ceremony
$25 Copy of our Marriage Certificate
$50 to choose the day we got married if we did not want to get married on a Wednesday.
Total: $195.00

For the Adjustment of Status (and future expenses we will see)

$1,140 Filing the AOS Petition
$85 for Biometrics (fingerprints and photos)
$45 Passport Photos 
Applications for Work Authorization and Advance Parole are included in the AOS Fee, if you choose to file them at another time they would cost $410 for Work Authorization and $575 for Advance Parole.
Total: $1270.00

$595 Removal of Conditions, filed in 2 years less 90 days

$640 (+$85) for Naturalization and Biometrics, filed three years after receiving Permanent Green Card.

That is a grand total of $3994.00 if I choose not to go through with Naturalization (I am undecided at this point) not included are our travel expenses during that time.

As for living expenses while being unemployed (I used our "high" rates for electric, cable, and estimated high for gas):
$1,105 Rent
$140 Electric/Heat
$180 Cable
$130 Two Cell Phones
$165 Car Insurance (Just for him)
$400 Groceries (About $100 a week)
$120 Gas (Two Vehicles: One car driven daily, One truck only driven when I absolutely cannot be in the house anymore)
Total: $2,240.00/month

In addition to those expenses, always be prepared for unexpected ones. We had to get our car in to get serviced and found out the brakes needed to be replaced ($250), we have two kittens and one was sick and visited the vet ($450) plus we spend about $80 a month on them for food. These are all my rates. I live in Delaware, on the east coast, and I live in a nicer area in a two bedroom apartment. We considered downsizing to a one bedroom, but would need to get a storage unit for all of our stuff so the two bedroom is more affordable. Remember that these will be different depending on where you are and how big your place is. If you decide to move to your own apartment, remember most places want a deposit (usually first months rent), if you get pets there is usually a pet deposit (we paid $500 per cat), and a lot of places charge monthly pet rent (which can be up to $100 more per month). 

If your lady chooses to change her name, it will likely cost her a small fee at the DMV, to renew her passport, or any other ID she has. Also, if you decide to open a new bank account together, many require minimum deposits, which obviously they don't keep but that's money you have to have on hand to open an account.

Life is expensive. Marriage is expensive. This is just my route, there may be other less expensive options. Look into the other possible ways too.

I hope this helped!

This is indeed very helpful! Thank you very much for taking so much time out of your day to help a stranger, it is truly appreciated!

Wanted to give my 2 cents about marrying against parents' wishes.

You're from a first world country with no overwhelming visa fraud issues. People elope all the time and this would not be suspicious for someone from the Netherlands. My parents were NOT happy that I was flying out to America for a courthouse wedding, yet this had no bearing at any time with my visa application.

I would say in terms of day-to-day life, getting both sets of parents on board with everything makes life easier, but for the visa? Only if you're from a country known for people who will marry solely for the Green Card, which you're not.

If any of your parents are the type to try and sabotage things though, that's another thing entirely.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
52 minutes ago, Ketsuban said:

Wanted to give my 2 cents about marrying against parents' wishes.

You're from a first world country with no overwhelming visa fraud issues. People elope all the time and this would not be suspicious for someone from the Netherlands. My parents were NOT happy that I was flying out to America for a courthouse wedding, yet this had no bearing at any time with my visa application.

I would say in terms of day-to-day life, getting both sets of parents on board with everything makes life easier, but for the visa? Only if you're from a country known for people who will marry solely for the Green Card, which you're not.

If any of your parents are the type to try and sabotage things though, that's another thing entirely.

I agree...ur from such a low fraud cou try theu wont question it. But i think u should finish school and save up money...marriage is tough and having no financial job and her still in college is not going tp make this easier.

Perhaps see if you can do a F1 visa and go to college in the states.

19 hours ago, DutchGuy said:

As mentioned in my previous post, her bestfriend would co-sponsor her. We have been dating for 3 years, of which the 1st we were together. We know how it is to be a couple and we would live together. However, you can't expect from 2 students to fly out all my friends and family, have a nice traditional wedding and all that good stuff. We can simply not afford that at this time.

I understand your concern, there are people getting married who have met online and/or met each other once. We do want to get married, for us, but for the outside world, we'd like to keep it to our pace. If someone asks, we are married. But we want a beautiful ceremony with all our friends and family once the time is right. We'd be living together, just like a married couple. Cause we are in love, and want to get married. 

I hope that clears things up. :)

As far as I seen OP has received a lot of good information and help. As a fellow Dutchie, let me pop in on this above;

OP, the USCIS does not expect you to fly your whole family in. Courthouse weddings are extremely common and the USCIS knows that. Therefore it's really not a problem.

My husband and I got married through the courthouse. However, the court guy wanted to make it more special since it was extremely nice weather and he did a small ceremony for us nearby the river. We live streamed the wedding for my parents and friends residing in the Netherlands but my sister did show up two days before the wedding as a surprise (for me it was a surprise lol). With that being said, I only had one family member present and the rest was my husband's family like his parents, brothers and grandparents. We choose to renew vows in five years on the same day, even more beautiful ceremony with both families attending, big venue and an actual wedding dress, more money to spend etc etc etc.

Those kind of decisions are made fairly often by us K-1 people. Courthouse first and an actual wedding later so do not stress over that part.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

7 hours ago, DutchGuy said:

Some additional questions: (I know some are answerable by doing some research, just maybe some of these answer are different for my case)

- How much money would be suggested for this whole process? Think about fee's, living without a job for a few months etc etc. 
- How can you best explain to a co-sponsor what he/she is signing for?
- How much would the entire process take time-wise?
- Would it be advised to get a lawyer?

- Can someone explain the sponsoring in ELI5 form. It is very confusing for me right now. 

Thank you!

This process is not the cheapest but I guarantee it's worth it. Here is a summary of what the expenses were for me, since we'll be going through the same Consulate (note; I did everything before the fees went up);
I-129F petition; $353
K1 visa; 239 / $265
Medical exam: €145
X-ray:
VOG: 41
Birth certificate: €12 (at least that was for gemeente Gouda')
Sending required documents can add up to $20 via mail.
Plane ticket in season was €1350.
85 for extra suitcase via Delta.
This is just a summary of the part from I-129F sent to visa approval in the Netherlands. Once in America we had such things as; a second car (note; this is not needed for everybody of course. We live extremely rural where we don't have public transportation), adjustment of status ($1040 at that time), redecorating the house, healthcare, dental insurance, extra car insurance, paying the courthouse stuff like the marriage license ($98) and getting married ($50), state license/ID, extra phone line for me + new phone (extra $85 a month, it's not cheap here), and if something else will come up I will edit it in here. For me, the K-1 route took exactly 6 months.

A lawyer is mostly needed when there is a legal problem such as a criminal record, tough case etc. Don't bother spending your money on it!

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
7 hours ago, Dutchster said:

OP, the USCIS does not expect you to fly your whole family in. Courthouse weddings are extremely common and the USCIS knows that. Therefore it's really not a problem. decisions are made fairly often by us K-1 people. Courthouse first and an actual wedding later so do not stress over that part.

True, the concern is not so much having everyone at the wedding.  What is however is keeping the parents completely in the dark.  If not only from a USCIS perspective but moreso from a relationship perspective.  It will put undue strain on the marriage.   

22 hours ago, Dutchster said:

This process is not the cheapest but I guarantee it's worth it. Here is a summary of what the expenses were for me, since we'll be going through the same Consulate (note; I did everything before the fees went up);
I-129F petition; $353
K1 visa; 239 / $265
Medical exam: €145
X-ray:
VOG: 41
Birth certificate: €12 (at least that was for gemeente Gouda')
Sending required documents can add up to $20 via mail.
Plane ticket in season was €1350.
85 for extra suitcase via Delta.
This is just a summary of the part from I-129F sent to visa approval in the Netherlands. Once in America we had such things as; a second car (note; this is not needed for everybody of course. We live extremely rural where we don't have public transportation), adjustment of status ($1040 at that time), redecorating the house, healthcare, dental insurance, extra car insurance, paying the courthouse stuff like the marriage license ($98) and getting married ($50), state license/ID, extra phone line for me + new phone (extra $85 a month, it's not cheap here), and if something else will come up I will edit it in here. For me, the K-1 route took exactly 6 months.

A lawyer is mostly needed when there is a legal problem such as a criminal record, tough case etc. Don't bother spending your money on it!

Thank you very much, fellow Dutchie!

I have nothing to worry about when it comes to legal and/or criminal records, I am a good boy lol.
Would you consider finding a job in the US very hard compared to The NL? I have already done an (corporate) internship in the US and have some decent contacts and experience, however would you suggest I finish my HBO course or would MBO 4 be sufficient? My expertise is in the hospitality industry. 

Right now I am awaiting permission to expedite my HBO course aka do it in 2 years. If I don't get that approval I would probably find a job to save up for the next few months and start the K-1 process around end 2017 - beginning 2018. My only concern is the affadavit of support and/or co-sponsoring. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.