hnparsana

Should we wait until our 2nd wedding anniversary to travel to the US? ir1 vs cr1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

I would say the choice is up to you.  But entering after your two year anniversary you do not have to worry about the  hassle and expense of having to remove conditions, as you will get a 10 year green card. Plus March 15th is less than two weeks away.  

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Filed: Country:
Timeline

don't have a link but if you have been married for over two years you get a 10 card if not a conditional 2 year one that you have to remove conditions on. on that not I would plan to arrive one after the aniversary. so you are for sure married over 2 years.

Definitely wait and get the 10 year card. It will save you so much money and aggravation. I would plan to come at least one day after your 2nd wedding anniversary. We were married on May 28th and my wife came on June 1st. I am so glad that we did this. Never had a regret. Just one tip. Gently and politely remind the immigration officer at POE that you have been married over two years. They should give you the 10 year card automatically, but it never hurts to (politely) remind them, 

I agree! Just wait so you will get a 10 years GC. Save you from expenses and waiting in removing condition. 

Advanced Happy Anniv! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
24 minutes ago, hnparsana said:

ohk. thanks everyone.wiil do the same, entering after 2nd marriage anniversary ..and curious to know that does this have impact on applying for citizenship??

i mean to ask  am i become suitable for applying citizenship one yer after entering us/after 3rd marriage anniversary?

pls do reply

If I'm not mistaken, the earliest you can apply for citizenship is 3 years from the date of residency, provided you were married for those 3 years as well.  

Date of residency will be on your green card.

Someone will correct me if I was wrong on that first point ?

11 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

If I'm not mistaken, the earliest you can apply for citizenship is 3 years from the date of residency, provided you were married for those 3 years as well.  

Date of residency will be on your green card.

Someone will correct me if I was wrong on that first point ?

This is correct. Earliest you can file N-400 for citizenship is 90 days before your third anniversary as a resident (date on green card) and you must be married to a USC for that entire period.  

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
23 hours ago, hnparsana said:

hello,,  i just got approved my cr1/ir1 spouse visa today. and my 2nd marriage anniversary is coming at march 15 2017,

So  if i wait till 2nd anniversary will i get permanent green card rather that conditional gc one??

will anyone pls hel me out here?????

should i wait??

thanks in advance 

In your case, since it is less than 2 weeks away, it's worth waiting.

However, in my opinion, anything more than 2 or 3 months is not worth waiting for if someone is able to enter the US and basically make more than the removal in condition fee.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, if you are free to wait (within the time limit of the medical exam)

wait, you get 10 year green card if married over 2 years as we did

long before it runs out spouse can file for citzenship (3 years minus time out of country)

otherwise 2 year green card and AOS is now over $1500 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

long before it runs out spouse can file for citzenship (3 years minus time out of country)

Yes. Definitely many factors to take into consideration.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:34 AM, adil-rafa said:

OP would not be AOSing, but merely ROCing. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Timeline
6 hours ago, KierenHby said:

OP would not be AOSing, but merely ROCing. 

Which would mean that the total fee is $680 as of now.

I would not wait months if I could come into the US and make that money many times over. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.