3,975 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey all, getting worried after reading the Feb thread....did you all include evidence of co-mingling of funds(joint account) and utility bill with both your names?  I didn't as we were yet to open an account or add my name to the bills.  Is this reason for an RFE?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Ambasa73 said:

Hey all, getting worried after reading the Feb thread....did you all include evidence of co-mingling of funds(joint account) and utility bill with both your names?  I didn't as we were yet to open an account or add my name to the bills.  Is this reason for an RFE?

No, it really shouldn't be.

In theory, you could send off the AOS application a week after you've arrived in the US. How is anyone supposed to gather financial couple evidence in that time? It's impossible. I have absolutely nothing to my name here and I've been here for over 4 months. With no state ID / license, I can't even open a joint back account with my wife at the bank of our choice. Utility and rent bills don't exist in neither of my wife's of my name because we live with family. 

If it ends up being an issue, I will have to send a letter to USCIS explaining our situation. A home inspector can gladly come by and see that everything is real, besides the financial evidence that doesn't exist.

Edit:

All of the financial evidence will be needed for ROC. But not for the initial AOS.

Edited by TL2016

48 minutes ago, Ambasa73 said:

There are some ppl in the Feb AOS thread that didn't adjust from a K1 but a non-family based visa. These people have to show evidence for their I-130. There are also some people that prefer sending evidence with their AOS package even if they are adjusting from a K1 because they think that the AOS interview will be waived if you send enough proof.

43 minutes ago, TL2016 said:

In theory, you could send off the AOS application a week after you've arrived in the US. How is anyone supposed to gather financial couple evidence in that time? It's impossible. I have absolutely nothing to my name here and I've been here for over 4 months. With no state ID / license, I can't even open a joint back account with my wife at the bank of our choice. Utility and rent bills don't exist in neither of my wife's of my name because we live with family. 

If it ends up being an issue, I will have to send a letter to USCIS explaining our situation. A home inspector can gladly come by and see that everything is real, besides the financial evidence that doesn't exist.

Edit:

All of the financial evidence will be needed for ROC. But not for the initial AOS.

That's goo to know. I started wondering if I might receive an RFE because I only sent my husband's income tax return from 2015 as financial proof.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

90 days unfortunately doesn't seem realistic anymore :( more like 120 days especially because the backlog in Chicago at the moment also means that the National Center is going to have a higher volume of applications and they are already way behind on the 90 day time frame. 

yeah that is true, the wait is real.

2 hours ago, IfoemaUS said:

Received my email notifications about 12:25 AM this morning (YAY) not sure why I didn't get the texts tho. Anywho...now the wait is on for EAD. My poor hubby has already been very restless since arriving and just wants to work. Plus the fact that he doesn't have an ID to travel (domestically) is frustrating him because some of his family live on the west coast. My mindset about the whole thing is...YOU ARE HERE :D...that was the biggest obstacle; we made it so now I'm a happy camper...all else will come in due time.

lol...USCIS workers are indeed ghost or the do lots of midnight jobs or scheduling for delivery at night. the texts may still come but wait for your receipts in the mail. congrats once again. being idle is the hard hit about this wait, despite the happy things around you. it is well

2 hours ago, Denis & San said:

Sent my AOS, EAS, and AP on March 9th and they received it on March 13th.  Waiting for NOA1 texts and emails now.  

congrats and good luck in the waiting.

47 minutes ago, Ambasa73 said:

no need to be worried because there is nothing to show, I strongly agree with @TL2016. if the USCIS like the can come pitch their branch office at our house to get lots of evidence of co-mingling because there are lots...lol. let not your hearts be troubled.

36 minutes ago, TL2016 said:

Edit:

completely agree with you.

Received my email notifications about 12:25 AM this morning (YAY) not sure why I didn't get the texts tho. Anywho...now the wait is on for EAD. My poor hubby has already been very restless since arriving and just wants to work. Plus the fact that he doesn't have an ID to travel (domestically) is frustrating him because some of his family live on the west coast. My mindset about the whole thing is...YOU ARE HERE :D...that was the biggest obstacle; we made it so now I'm a happy camper...all else will come in due time.

Can't he just use his passport?! With the NOA1 he can prove his legal status here. Just wondering as I never thought that was a problem. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

Can't he just use his passport?! With the NOA1 he can prove his legal status here. Just wondering as I never thought that was a problem. 

The concern is that his I-94 is expired. As we know, his K-1 expired when he entered. He did use his passport to travel a month after he got here with no problem, but also the 90 day date there has passed as well. When we went to the DMV they said that we need to come back with the i-797 in order to get an ID/driver's license for him so we will do that once we get the hard copy; but his sister is having a baby dedication for our nephew next week and I don't think we'll get it in time. Even if it comes a day or 2 before, we didn't want to risk buying a flight ticket if it didn't come in time so now the prices are much higher.

K-1 PROCESS 

02/27/2016- Mailed in K-1 petition to Dallas lockbox

02/29/2016- NOA1 Received by USCIS

03/02/2016- NOA1 hard copy received
06/02/2016- Text notification of RFE

06/10/2016- RFE hard copy recv'd and response sent

06/14/2016- RFE response recv'd by USCIS

06/23/2016- Text notification of NOA2 Approval

06/27/2016- Hard copy NOA2 recv'd

07/21/2016- Case Creation Date at Nigerian Consulate

07/22/2016- Called NVC and given case number!

07/27/2016- Case updated to "Ready" status!

07/29/2016- Interview scheduled online! (Set for 8/18/16)

08/11/2016- Medical

08/18/2016- INTERVIEW DATE- APPROVED!!!

09/16/2016- POE: Chicago

11/05/2016- Became Mr. & Mrs,! 

AOS PROCESS 

03/02/2017- Mailed I-485 paperwork (I-765/ I-131 included)

03/14/2017- Check cleared!

03/15/2017-USCIS Acceptance Confirmation emails received.

03/20/2017- Received all 3 hard copies of NOA1 in mail.

03/23/2017- USCIS website indicated RFIE sent for I-485 by mail 03/21/2017

03/xx/2017-Biometrics letter received (can't recall exact date but week of 3/27)

04/10/2017-Notice recv'd that RFIE was returned to USCIS; sent inquiry to re-send to same address

04/13/2017- Biometrics done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
16 hours ago, Becci391 said:

Received 3 text messages and 3 emails from USCIS within the last 10 minutes.

Awesome! :D

16 hours ago, Becci391 said:

I seriously can't wait for my work permit.  It's getting boring here in the apartment ? Is there a time frame when to expect the EAD in the mail?

It used to be that the EAD was taking around 3 months to be approved, now they're taking longer, closer to 4 months. :(

3 hours ago, Ambasa73 said:

Like someone already said before, that tends to be more for people who are adjusting from other kinds of visas, not the K1. When I did AOS for me, I arrived on a Thursday, got married on a Friday, sent the AOS packet on Monday. We added nothing in terms of co-mingling finances because there was no time to add my name to anything. I still got approved with no issues, no RFEs and no interview.

1 hour ago, IfoemaUS said:

The concern is that his I-94 is expired. As we know, his K-1 expired when he entered. He did use his passport to travel a month after he got here with no problem, but also the 90 day date there has passed as well. When we went to the DMV they said that we need to come back with the i-797 in order to get an ID/driver's license for him so we will do that once we get the hard copy; but his sister is having a baby dedication for our nephew next week and I don't think we'll get it in time. Even if it comes a day or 2 before, we didn't want to risk buying a flight ticket if it didn't come in time so now the prices are much higher.

I think that once you get the NOA1 hardcopy in the mail, you can use that with the passport - the NOA1 makes up for the expired 1-94.

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

1 hour ago, IfoemaUS said:

Look a little more into that subject. I'm pretty sure you are good to fly with your passport as long as you can prove that you are not completely out of status (have a visa or in this case immigration application pending). 

While I was on a F-1 student visa, I flew a couple of weeks ago within the United States (my AOS was already submitted and pending and it was 60 days after my program ended) and they didn't ask me any questions about my status/what I'm doing/etc. Just looked at my passport and ticket (both times) and just let me go. Sorry it didn't work out though! 

EAD/AP: 02/14/17 - 05/26/17 (101 days)

AOS: 02/14/17 - 06/20/17 (126 days)

ROC: 05/19/19 - 04/23/20 (340 days)

N-400: (249 days)

9/13/2020- Application filed online 

9/21/2020 - NOA1 received 

12/10/2020 - NOA2 biometrics reuse

2/2/2021 - NOA3 N-400 interview scheduled for 3/16/2021

3/8/2021 - NOA4 N-400 interview cancelled 

3/15/2021 - NOA5 N-400 interview re-scheduled 

4/27/2021 - Interview (approved)

4/28/2021 NOA6 Oath ceremony scheduled 

5/20/2021 - Oath ceremony

5 hours ago, IfoemaUS said:

Your husband can travel via air. All he needs to travel domestically is his foreign passport. I checked on TSA website to find out myself, as we are taking a trip. 

I-129F sent- June 15

Lockbox received- June 16

Noa1- June 20

RFE- August 23

NOA2- September 1

NVC received- September 13

Case #- September 13

interview- October 31

POE- November 13

Married- November 23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 3/14/2017 at 2:17 PM, atuegwu said:

Wow!!! A big congrats...It is worth the wait. You will get texts and emails tonight or early hours of tomorrow. Good luck...The wait now starts...Lol. fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, TL2016 said:

Edit:

4 hours ago, Californiansunset said:

There are some ppl in the Feb AOS thread that didn't adjust from a K1 but a non-family based visa. These people have to show evidence for their I-130. There are also some people that prefer sending evidence with their AOS package even if they are adjusting from a K1 because they think that the AOS interview will be waived if you send enough proof.

Thanks so much for your responses...very reassuring.  

After how many days after we received the hardcopy NOA1 do we receive the letter for the biometrics appointment?

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Hey guys ! 

After 1 year and 2 months I just send in our AOS application. I expect a interview (I would want to see myself if I was them lol), but I am very exited that after so long I finally have some hope. Good luck !!

Filed k1 - 08/20/2015

NOA1 - 08/25/2015

NOA2 - 9/17/2015

NVC Received - 10/14/2015

Send to Amsterdam - 10/16/2015

Amsterdam received - 10/19/2015

Packet 3 in the mail - 10/22/2015

Packet 4 in the mail - 11/3/2015

Medical - 11/23/2015

Interview !!!! - 12/3/2015 Approved !!!

POE - 12/15/2015 (finally)

Wedding 01/15/2016 !!

AOS!

Filed AOS - 03/15/2017

Noa 1 - 03/30/2017

Biometrics - 04/21/2017
RFE - 04/10/2017

Send RFE back - 06/18/2017

RFE Received (status changed) - 06/27/2017

EAD/AP Approved - 09/18/2017

Filed N400 (Naturalization) - 03/24/2024

rsz_waitisover1.jpg.e64ce44221da1246df04d25bf6a04bab.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Essiej said:

Hey guys ! 

After 1 year and 2 months I just send in our AOS application. I expect a interview (I would want to see myself if I was them lol), but I am very exited that after so long I finally have some hope. Good luck !!

Hey!

I think I remember you from the August 2015 K-1 Filer thread. Now we're in the same boat again, lol. I'm happy for you that you were finally able to submit your AOS papers. I would've gone crazy having to wait so long.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.