APark

Joint Sponsor- transferable/cancelable?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband has submitted his i-864 and we are getting all of our financial stuff together.  Unfortunately because we both live abroad currently, we need a joint sponsor. We have bout 75% of the required assets but not quite enough. Although usually family is the obvious choice, it is complicated and we do not want to ask. One person has already backed out- very suddenly and left us in the lurch. A very close friend has volunteered and is getting everything ready.
BUT she wants to know if after I arrive and get a job that meets the income standard, is it possible to have her taken off as joint sponsor. I have not been able to find anything on this. Can anyone help?  

Thanks to all for your continued support!

Edited by APark

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

nope, that person can download the i864 and read the instructions, the instructions clearly state that the sponsor and the joint sponsor will be responsible for you if you incur in means tested benefits

until you become a USC, which the closest would be in 3 years, die, abandon your GC by returning to you country, work 40 quarters, which I believe is around 10 years and I don't remember if there was more

but you both can read the instructions and there it is

No.  A joint sponsor is there until you become a US citizen, work 40 work quarters (about 10 years), die, or abandon your residency.  You can file for citizenship, at the earliest, at 3 years minus 90 days of being an LPR. 

On a positive note, a joint sponsor is only gone after if the primary sponsor (the petitioner) cannot be sued for the means tested benefits that are used.  A joint sponsor isn't there to make sure you have a certain level of life, they're there to make sure the government is paid back.  Rarely people can sue their sponsors (the primary sponsor) for support, but I've thus far not read about someone successfully suing a joint sponsor for this. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you. We both read that and were just wondering if there wete any other rules about joint sponsors that were talked about somewhere else we missed. 

Thank you all. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.