Dan & Elsie

K-1 entry checklist

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Guys,

So the time has finally come and I'll be flying out to California in less than two weeks. I just had a few questions and an advice request for anyone who has done this before...

So when I arrive at LAX...

1. Do I just queue in the normal line at customs as if I was visiting like i normally do on the WVP?

2. All I need for entry is the big "DO NOT OPEN" envelope and the K-1 visa in my passport, right? Or should I have anything else prepared?

3. Can anyone give a brief overview of the process? Do they keep the envelope, do I need anything back, do I need anything stamped etc etc?

When I wake up the next day...

1. Is there anything that I need to be thinking about doing that might not be obvious (registering for anything anywhere, driving license, etc)

If there is any advice anyone has on this part of the journey then I'd love to hear it. I'm sure that there are certain experiences had and lessons learned from people on here that would be valuable to know.

Cheers,

Dan

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

1) You should line up in the Visitor w/ Visa line. 

2) That's all you need.

3) In some airports the K1 visa will be processed on the spot, in others they will take you to the secondary inspection office. It could also depend on how busy they are. In any case, it's just a formality. They will open the envelope and look briefly through the documents. You will NOT get anything back. They will take your picture and fingerprints, and stamp your passport. Then you should be good to go.

The next day/within a few days, you should visit the SSA office to apply for a SSN, and you and your fiancé should of course get a marriage license and get married within 90 days of your entry. Then you're onto applying for AOS, for which you can follow the VJ guides again :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

They will most likely give you back a cd-rom with the x-rays.

Before leaving the UK, make sure you have all documents you need for the AOS (Birth certificate and the famous D-3025 to name a few). Check the form/guides to find out what you need.

Do not put the envelope in your checked luggage.

5 hours ago, A'n'L said:

1) You should line up in the Visitor w/ Visa line. 

2) That's all you need.

3) In some airports the K1 visa will be processed on the spot, in others they will take you to the secondary inspection office. It could also depend on how busy they are. In any case, it's just a formality. They will open the envelope and look briefly through the documents. You will NOT get anything back. They will take your picture and fingerprints, and stamp your passport. Then you should be good to go.

The next day/within a few days, you should visit the SSA office to apply for a SSN, and you and your fiancé should of course get a marriage license and get married within 90 days of your entry. Then you're onto applying for AOS, for which you can follow the VJ guides again :-)

Thank you for this! I honestly needed some clarification with regards to the SSN part. Whether it goes before or after getting married. They say either way is fine but getting it before getting married has some advantages, is that true? :) 

Sorry Dan & Elsie if I had to ask this question here, it may be of help for you too. :) 

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
3 hours ago, missushabes said:

Thank you for this! I honestly needed some clarification with regards to the SSN part. Whether it goes before or after getting married. They say either way is fine but getting it before getting married has some advantages, is that true? :) 

Sorry Dan & Elsie if I had to ask this question here, it may be of help for you too. :) 

This may vary from state to state, but in general it is pretty good to have a SSN as soon as possible. If you get it before you marry and after the wedding you adopt your spouses last name (or hyphenating like I did), you'll have to go back with the marriage license and have them change the name and reissue the card.

Personally, I didn't want to try and get anything done with my maiden name, so I just waited till after the wedding, got my SS card with the married name and THEN I went ahead and got all the bank accounts, apartment leases, etc. etc. Getting all of those without a green card or EAD was hard enough, so I suggest to at least have your SS card sorted out already, to have at least one document with your proper current name. 

10 hours ago, Dan & Elsie said:

Hi Guys,

So the time has finally come and I'll be flying out to California in less than two weeks. I just had a few questions and an advice request for anyone who has done this before...

So when I arrive at LAX...

1. Do I just queue in the normal line at customs as if I was visiting like i normally do on the WVP?

2. All I need for entry is the big "DO NOT OPEN" envelope and the K-1 visa in my passport, right? Or should I have anything else prepared?

3. Can anyone give a brief overview of the process? Do they keep the envelope, do I need anything back, do I need anything stamped etc etc?

It depends on the person and their mood, and how busy you are, but you can expect to be taken to a separate room where they look at your sealed envelope and do some quick checking and boring processing. That may take some time depending on how many people are in that room waiting too. It's nothing out of the ordinary, so no need to worry. 

When I wake up the next day...

1. Is there anything that I need to be thinking about doing that might not be obvious (registering for anything anywhere, driving license, etc)

Getting your SSN the sooner the better is important since that's the least you'll be asked for to do anything (bank accounts, driving license, etc.) Getting a driving license as a k-1 holder can be easy or a pain in the a** (like here in texas), so I recommend to find out right away what you need for that.

If there is any advice anyone has on this part of the journey then I'd love to hear it. I'm sure that there are certain experiences had and lessons learned from people on here that would be valuable to know.

It seems that you'll have a direct flight so that's good. Having a POE and then a connecting flight to your final destination can be stressful if you have a short time to connect the flights.

Cheers,

Dan

Depends on th

Timeline
6 hours ago, missushabes said:

You'll want to get your SSN as soon as possible, as it is a key ingredient to most of the processes you will be subject to later on (getting a bank account, DL, etc). Also, you need legal status to get a SSN. That means you need at least 2 weeks left on your K1 entry I94 to obtain it, or else you'll have to wait for your EAD/GC. If you're changing your name after marriage, you'll also have to wait for the EAD/GC to obtain your SSN, as they'll require an official ID with your desired name on it. That's why most people chose to get their SSN as soon as possible, and before the wedding.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
1 hour ago, A'n'L said:

You'll want to get your SSN as soon as possible, as it is a key ingredient to most of the processes you will be subject to later on (getting a bank account, DL, etc). Also, you need legal status to get a SSN. That means you need at least 2 weeks left on your K1 entry I94 to obtain it, or else you'll have to wait for your EAD/GC. If you're changing your name after marriage, you'll also have to wait for the EAD/GC to obtain your SSN, as they'll require an official ID with your desired name on it. That's why most people chose to get their SSN as soon as possible, and before the wedding.

That bit is not exactly true, unless it is only so in that state or something (I don't think it is, since SS is a federal agency, so rules should be universal across the country). I changed my name after marriage and I had to show my marriage license to prove it and get my SSN under my new name, didn't need an EAD/GC. In fact, to get my married name on any paperwork before I got my EAD/GC, I always was asked to show my marriage license, even with SS card in hand.

Timeline
7 hours ago, pantonia said:

That bit is not exactly true, unless it is only so in that state or something (I don't think it is, since SS is a federal agency, so rules should be universal across the country). I changed my name after marriage and I had to show my marriage license to prove it and get my SSN under my new name, didn't need an EAD/GC. In fact, to get my married name on any paperwork before I got my EAD/GC, I always was asked to show my marriage license, even with SS card in hand.

Some have had luck with that, but not all. Practices appears to differ between offices.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.