$_1092

Academically Dismissed from school

43 posts in this topic

Timeline

I was admitted in one of US universities in Fall 2016 for masters program on F1 visa. I attended the school for a semester. However, the school dismissed me from department due to "admissions integrity breach" mainly due to some problem in my application. I had to leave US and came back home. Now I am worried about my current F1 visa and SEVIS record. Its not possible for me to get into another school within 5 months so my current F1 visa will get expire in any case. I am planning to apply to new school completely from scratch. What are my chances to get F1 Visa again? Also, what will happen to my previous Sevis record? Will this remain with me forever? And will it affect me for any kind of VISA in future?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Now, not trying to make any accusations, but an Admission Integrity Breach means that your application was detected to be fraudulent, for one of the reasons (but not limited to, of course):

• Representing someone else’s work as your own
  • Not giving appropriate credit (citations) of someone else’s work
  • Utilizing library or internet sources without giving credit
  • Using some else's papers or assignments as your own
  • Misrepresenting your experience and qualifications.

Your SEVIS record is likely terminated and visa invalidated. This will likely be scrutinized for any future visa interviews.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

so they suspected you of lying on your application and felt strongly enough about it that they kicked you out of school.

time for a cold dose of reality. it will follow you since if they ever ask why you only attended for one semester then left you will have to answer honestly that they kicked you out because they suspected you of dishonesty on your application which severely hurts your credibility or you make it worse by lying which is material misrepresentation and when is caught leads to a ban from all us visas.

come clean early and it is easier than trying to keep the lie going.

thing to keep in mind that the school may have notified uscis already as to why they let you go.

Timeline
Just now, $_1092 said:

Thanks for replying. Getting into another school and obtaining a new F1 visa will be difficult? Is there noway out of this situation? I am really tensed and worried due to this. My whole career and life will get affected by this. Please advise.

I'll be blunt - cheating and misrepresentation at any stage is the worst academic offense you can do in the American school system, both at secondary and higher-ed levels. If that is indeed what you did, you've made a terribly bad choice that is likely to have long-term negative consequences - your record termination will be likely scrutinized any time you will try to obtain a new visa.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
5 minutes ago, $_1092 said:

Thanks for replying. Getting into another school and obtaining a new F1 visa will be difficult? Is there noway out of this situation? I am really tensed and worried due to this. My whole career and life will get affected by this. Please advise.

what about the person's life that was changed when they did not get the spot that you had gotten. there is only one way to fix this. invent a time machine and go back and tell your past self not to cheat.

you are marked from this point on as a person whose credibility is tarnished and only many many years of honorable actions can allow you to gain back some of your credibility.

Timeline

I did a project during my undergraduate and I published the report in an International Journal. That journal seems authentic to me. It provided a certification of publication to me. I attached both of the things in the additional document section. Later in the mid of the semester I found out that the department has found some plagiarism in that paper. Now, I did check when I was publishing it. There was not any. Also, the publisher published it. All seem authentic to me then only I attached it with application. But, they found me guilty and thus they took this action.

Timeline

I suspect that the department at the school where you were originally accepted has done the due diligence and actually found the plagiarism. I doubt they would go through the hassle to bring in a foreign student and then throw him under the bus under non-existent plagiarism claims.

More than that, knowing the world of academia in the US, when plagiarism is detected, you are notified as to what the conflicting source is. At this point, I am inclined to take the side of your school - plagiarism is bad, but you were likely told where you plagiarized from, no?

Either way, it's *likely* that this will affect your future attempts to apply for higher-ed positions within the US. At any point in time, if you ever go through new visa interviews, you need to be honest and provide all required information.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, $_1092 said:

Thanks @KurosawaSan. Is it only the Student Visa that will affect me in future or if I come for a job visa then also it will affect me(if you know)? I will be honest in everything from now on and would definitely not lie.

Likely to show up for any visa you are applying. US immigration information is generally preserved, and a short-terminated SEVIS record is likely to raise questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.