Ruka

Married a week after arrival in US on Tourist Visa

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Ruka said:

Now I can't help but think about all this again. does anyone know if the length of time between arrival in the US and getting married affects my chances at all of getting AOS approved? Would it have been better if we waited, say, a month after I arrived before getting married?

You're over thinking it

Filed: Timeline
Just now, Transborderwife said:

If AOS is denied, you can always fix the problem and apply again.  You enter a new period of authorized stay and will not Ben in removal proceedings at that point.  Have plenty of relationship evidence, play by the book and best of luck.

Would you happen to know the usual/common reasons for having an AOS denied?

And thank you :) 

Timeline
Just now, Ruka said:

Would you happen to know the usual/common reasons for having an AOS denied?

And thank you :) 

They don't believe it's a genuine relationship, lack of bonifide evidence (or: lease, bank accounts, wills, photos etc), improper documentation (birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce if needed), inadmissibility to the USA (not an issue as you came with a visa)

2 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

They don't believe it's a genuine relationship, lack of bonifide evidence (or: lease, bank accounts, wills, photos etc), improper documentation (birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce if needed), inadmissibility to the USA (not an issue as you came with a visa)

Ah if it's those then I'm fairly(?) confident we'll be okay. I'm hoping so at least.

Our relationship is genuine, and we have plenty of evidence as well. Documentation shouldn't be an issue as well. That's a relief.

Timeline
Just now, Ruka said:

Ah if it's those then I'm fairly(?) confident we'll be okay. I'm hoping so at least.

Our relationship is genuine, and we have plenty of evidence as well. Documentation shouldn't be an issue as well. That's a relief.

Just be upfront and honest, prepare well and things should be fine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ruka said:

Now I can't help but think about all this again. does anyone know if the length of time between arrival in the US and getting married affects my chances at all of getting AOS approved? Would it have been better if we waited, say, a month after I arrived before getting married?

It doesn't matter, really. You've had a history of visits and you've stayed for longer intervals. You both knew each other, he proposed and you both got married. There's no issue of timing. Go ahead and file for AOS ASAP, but make sure to gather all the documents before applying.

Good luck...and oh, congratulations on marriage.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

10 minutes ago, Tanish said:

It doesn't matter, really. You've had a history of visits and you've stayed for longer intervals. You both knew each other, he proposed and you both got married. There's no issue of timing. Go ahead and file for AOS ASAP, but make sure to gather all the documents before applying.

Good luck...and oh, congratulations on marriage.

Had I known this, I wouldn't have spent my time worrying about the repercussions of marrying so quickly. lol Still good to know now though. Thank you very much! :) 

1 minute ago, Ruka said:

Had I known this, I wouldn't have spent my time worrying about the repercussions of marrying so quickly. lol Still good to know now though. Thank you very much! :) 

Tis not a bad thing to worry about how things will turn out. Trust me when I tell you that many of us wish we had done it your way. Your relationship is long with much more than normal time spent in person. You 2 actually really know each other and still want to be together. It honestly doesn't get better than that. A lot of us would probably tell you it was kind of taking a chance. I mean, I filed K-1 after only 4 months of only online knowing my then-girlfirend, the last 2 weeks of which we met in person and became engaged. Really how well did we know each other after only like 10 days of face time?

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

2 minutes ago, Marco&Bettina said:

Tis not a bad thing to worry about how things will turn out. Trust me when I tell you that many of us wish we had done it your way. Your relationship is long with much more than normal time spent in person. You 2 actually really know each other and still want to be together. It honestly doesn't get better than that. A lot of us would probably tell you it was kind of taking a chance. I mean, I filed K-1 after only 4 months of only online knowing my then-girlfirend, the last 2 weeks of which we met in person and became engaged. Really how well did we know each other after only like 10 days of face time?

Wow... and here I thought we were jumping the gun on our marriage. xD

I know that coming here to the US with a Fiance or Spouse Visa would have been more ideal but basically is the more important thing about filing AOS about how legit the relationship is rather than the method of me coming here?

5 minutes ago, Ruka said:

Wow... and here I thought we were jumping the gun on our marriage. xD

I know that coming here to the US with a Fiance or Spouse Visa would have been more ideal but basically is the more important thing about filing AOS about how legit the relationship is rather than the method of me coming here?

Exactly, so you're good. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying I have regrets at all. I love my life and so does my wife, but I'm merely showing a point of reference to help calm your fears about proving anything to USCIS. It's really not hard. I was worried and we pulled it off.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

7 minutes ago, Marco&Bettina said:

Exactly, so you're good. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying I have regrets at all. I love my life and so does my wife, but I'm merely showing a point of reference to help calm your fears about proving anything to USCIS. It's really not hard. I was worried and we pulled it off.

Haha yes, I get it. :) I'll be sure to get everything I need ready and hopefully my AOS goes without a hitch.

1 hour ago, Ruka said:

What's the purpose of this question?  It doesn't matter what would have "been better".  You are already married.  Stop second guessing and start the legal immigration process.

I think you took my comment in the wrong way.  I was not intending to be mean or scold you.  I am simply suggesting that instead of focusing on the date of your marriage you should focus on the immigration process and get that started ASAP.  Sorry if I sounded mean in my first response.  That was not my intention.  Good luck and God Bless, david

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.