AnIJrny

I-130 January 2017 Filers

2,344 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Mrs O said:

Hello all submitted my 130 on Jan 28 Noa1 February 2nd.?This is my second time submitting 130, the first was approved by we didn't go through with it. So 8 years later I'm doing it again. Praying that having been approved before helps

Have you guys just lived apart for 8 years?? 

Hi everyone,

We filed our I130  on 1/28/17 and it got transfered to Potomac, we received over noa1 text and email on 2/3/17. I'm from the Netherlands very anxious about this entire ordeal, I just want everything to go smoothly and hurry up because the distance after 4 yrs is no fun at all anymore. I've checked to see if we could Follow up with the case online but it seems like it's not open yet. I have a legal background and I've prepared the paper work myself and then had my wife file them in the US, but good gosh the not knowing what how when where is a killer. Good luck everyone!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey guys -- I filed back in September, but I wanted to pass along some info to help you prep for the next steps while you wait for your NOA2. I originally posted this in the September I-130 group, but the info hasn't changed :) 

Ok September filers! Since September is drawing to a close, and most of us have received our NOA1’s – I thought I’d create a short guide to get folks thinking about what they’ll need to prep for the next stages at the NVC. I welcome your additions/edits to make this better!!  :star::star::star:

NOTE: This is NOT a comprehensive NVC guide – there are other parts of this site dedicated to that topic and I’d encourage you to check out those boards too. The focus here is on what you can do to prep for the NVC while you wait for your NOA2.

As you know the wait time between your NOA1 and NOA2 at the USCIS is typically the longest part of the process. It helps to get things ready and familiarized with what comes next while you have plenty of time.  :clock:

misshepburn’s Waiting for your NOA2 Guide 

1. Double check to make sure your duplicate copy of your recently mailed i-130 package is in order. You will want to have copies of everything you sent to USCIS (in case they lose anything) plus the originals. Remember this file is part of what the non-USC spouse will be taking to their interview.

2. Create a profile with USCIS and add your case to it.

Link is here: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/showSplash.do

3. If you have a smart phone, you may want to download the “USCIS Case Tracker” app from Apple app store or Android store – this will help you easily track your case. A popular Apple version is by Stephen Aldous.

4. If you and your spouse live apart, and/or haven’t been married very long, keep maintaining your Skype/Whatsapp/Facetime/call etc. logs that you sent with your i-130. In the interview the case officer may ask the non-USC spouse for additional documentation to prove an ongoing relationship. Its good to have this info ready to go if needed.

5. The USC and joint sponsor (if you are using one) can go ahead and request tax transcripts from the IRS. They take about 1-2 weeks to get in the mail. The USC can also collect an employment letter; pay stubs, and fill the i-864.

6. See how long it will take to get police certificates (and what your country-specific expiration date might be) in the non-USC’s country. A lot of folks recommend waiting to request these until your application has spent a few months in the processing center, or once you get your NOA2. It doesn't hurt to check into this early though, find out what documents you need to request and how long it will take to get them.

7. Have the non-USC spouse check to see what vaccines they have documentation for and what they might be missing. It’s easier to get these done ahead of time rather than at the last minute during your medical evaluation – some vaccines need multiple doses over several months, which could also waste more time when you are almost at the end of the process!

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/vaccinations.html

8. Read the NVC process guide on VJ at least 3 times! Read it, print it out, read it again, and again! There are many good tips.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Read/review: “James’ shortcuts” and/or “LingChe Shortcuts” both are older VJ documents, but still good.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/James%27s_Shortcuts

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

9. Preview the DS-260 here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260%20Exemplar.pdf

This will be filled out from the perspective of the non-USC spouse. Make sure you have all of this info ready to fill in when you reach the NVC.

10. Familiarize yourself with the supporting document guidelines from the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for edits/additions!! Thanks guys!  :)

7-26-2016: Married in Washington, DC! 

USCIS Stage

9-15-2016: I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

9-17-2016: USPS delivery confirmation to Chicago lockbox

9-21-2016: NOA1 Email and text received. Case sent to Texas Service Center, priority date 9-19-2016

10-13-2016: NOA2 approval  (10-17-2016: NOA2 Hardcopy received)

10-27-2016: Case sent to NVC

NVC Stage

11-03-2016: Case received by NVC

11-14-2016: NVC case number assigned

11-16-2016: Welcome email received, DS-261 completed online

11-17-2016: AOS bill paid

11-18-2016: DS-261 reviewed over the phone

11-20-2016: IV Fee Invoiced, IV Fee Paid

12-26-2016: Completed DS-260

01-18-2017: Sent AOS and IV package (via electronic processing)

01-27-2017: Checklist received, documents sent back to NVC (via electronic processing)

02-03-2017: Case Complete 

03-08-2017: Interview and APPROVED!

04-21-2017: POE Philadelphia 

4 hours ago, misshepburn said:

Hey guys -- I filed back in September, but I wanted to pass along some info to help you prep for the next steps while you wait for your NOA2. I originally posted this in the September I-130 group, but the info hasn't changed :) 

Ok September filers! Since September is drawing to a close, and most of us have received our NOA1’s – I thought I’d create a short guide to get folks thinking about what they’ll need to prep for the next stages at the NVC. I welcome your additions/edits to make this better!!  :star::star::star:

NOTE: This is NOT a comprehensive NVC guide – there are other parts of this site dedicated to that topic and I’d encourage you to check out those boards too. The focus here is on what you can do to prep for the NVC while you wait for your NOA2.

As you know the wait time between your NOA1 and NOA2 at the USCIS is typically the longest part of the process. It helps to get things ready and familiarized with what comes next while you have plenty of time.  :clock:

misshepburn’s Waiting for your NOA2 Guide 

1. Double check to make sure your duplicate copy of your recently mailed i-130 package is in order. You will want to have copies of everything you sent to USCIS (in case they lose anything) plus the originals. Remember this file is part of what the non-USC spouse will be taking to their interview.

2. Create a profile with USCIS and add your case to it.

Link is here: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/showSplash.do

3. If you have a smart phone, you may want to download the “USCIS Case Tracker” app from Apple app store or Android store – this will help you easily track your case. A popular Apple version is by Stephen Aldous.

4. If you and your spouse live apart, and/or haven’t been married very long, keep maintaining your Skype/Whatsapp/Facetime/call etc. logs that you sent with your i-130. In the interview the case officer may ask the non-USC spouse for additional documentation to prove an ongoing relationship. Its good to have this info ready to go if needed.

5. The USC and joint sponsor (if you are using one) can go ahead and request tax transcripts from the IRS. They take about 1-2 weeks to get in the mail. The USC can also collect an employment letter; pay stubs, and fill the i-864.

6. See how long it will take to get police certificates (and what your country-specific expiration date might be) in the non-USC’s country. A lot of folks recommend waiting to request these until your application has spent a few months in the processing center, or once you get your NOA2. It doesn't hurt to check into this early though, find out what documents you need to request and how long it will take to get them.

7. Have the non-USC spouse check to see what vaccines they have documentation for and what they might be missing. It’s easier to get these done ahead of time rather than at the last minute during your medical evaluation – some vaccines need multiple doses over several months, which could also waste more time when you are almost at the end of the process!

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/vaccinations.html

8. Read the NVC process guide on VJ at least 3 times! Read it, print it out, read it again, and again! There are many good tips.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Read/review: “James’ shortcuts” and/or “LingChe Shortcuts” both are older VJ documents, but still good.

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/James%27s_Shortcuts

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

9. Preview the DS-260 here: https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260%20Exemplar.pdf

This will be filled out from the perspective of the non-USC spouse. Make sure you have all of this info ready to fill in when you reach the NVC.

10. Familiarize yourself with the supporting document guidelines from the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for edits/additions!! Thanks guys!  :)

Thanks misshepburn, great info!! I'll definitely be getting ready for NVC ahead of time :)

Timeline
3 hours ago, LaurenAndBrent said:

Thanks misshepburn, great info!! I'll definitely be getting ready for NVC ahead of time :)

most welcome! happy to help any way I can... without this website I would have been much more confused ;) 

USCIS Stage

9-21-2016: NOA1 Email and text received. Case sent to Texas Service Center, priority date 9-19-2016

NVC Stage

01-27-2017: Checklist received, documents sent back to NVC (via electronic processing)

1 minute ago, misshepburn said:

most welcome! happy to help any way I can... without this website I would have been much more confused ;) 

Can you read my question that's also on this thread and let me know if you have any knowledge on it? 

Thanks 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Mrs O said:

Can you read my question that's also on this thread and let me know if you have any knowledge on it? 

Thanks 

I am not sure I see your question? I just saw your previous post that you and your husband applied 8 years ago and were approved then... How far in the process did you get?

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

I am not sure I see your question? I just saw your previous post that you and your husband applied 8 years ago and were approved then... How far in the process did you get?

Actually my I 130 and 129f were approved but never went as submitting my 864 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mrs O said:

Actually my I 130 and 129f were approved but never went as submitting my 864 

Ok cool - so I guess you guys had started the K1 visa and ultimately decided not to move to the US? I don't think your prior attempt to immigrate has much bearing on your current process -- since you weren't denied or anything and just stopped on your own. The government knows that people's plans change, so you should be fine. You might want to be prepared during the interview to explain why you decided to stop the process 8 years ago in case they ask.

On that note, I don't think having a prior approval after the I-130/129F eight years ago will do anything to help your case move along any faster than normal processing times now... a lot of it is luck of the draw with your service center. As you probably know, some are moving much faster than others.

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

Ok cool - so I guess you guys had started the K1 visa and ultimately decided not to move to the US? I don't think your prior attempt to immigrate has much bearing on your current process -- since you weren't denied or anything and just stopped on your own. The government knows that people's plans change, so you should be fine. You might want to be prepared during the interview to explain why you decided to stop the process 8 years ago in case they ask.

On that note, I don't think having a prior approval after the I-130/129F eight years ago will do anything to help your case move along any faster than normal processing times now... a lot of it is luck of the draw with your service center. As you probably know, some are moving much faster than others.

Yes I got stuck with Nebraska what can you tell about them? I see on there site it says July 2 but when I put my timeline together it says I should hear back. Y august 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Mrs O said:

Yes I got stuck with Nebraska what can you tell about them? I see on there site it says July 2 but when I put my timeline together it says I should hear back. Y august 

Unfortunately Nebraska is the slowest one right now... a whole bunch of people with September priority dates from my group who were originally sent to Nebraska were just transferred to other service centers (they do this to rebalance case load when some service centers are lagging behind). It seems like most people there wait 5-6 months. 

There is a whole thread on VJ dedicated to people currently in Nebraska if you want to follow that too - they could definitely give you a better sense of what's currently happening than I can! Keep in mind that USCIS considers 6 months "normal" processing, so until you go over that mark, you can't complain to a congressman or senator about slow service.

My advice is to prepare yourself for what could be a long wait - and hope for the best :) 

USCIS Stage

NVC Stage

I am very happy and surprised I received the NOA-2 today in the mail that my documents are now being sent to NVC.   :)   Excellent time - 1-130 Petition was received 1/16/17 and approved 2/9/17.  This is a great Valentine's gift and especially good because I am visiting my spouse overseas on Friday.  We are both excited.

36 minutes ago, MLK2016 said:

I am very happy and surprised I received the NOA-2 today in the mail that my documents are now being sent to NVC.   :)   Excellent time - 1-130 Petition was received 1/16/17 and approved 2/9/17.  This is a great Valentine's gift and especially good because I am visiting my spouse overseas on Friday.  We are both excited.

Congrats! Now I'm hopeful and anxious lol. 

13-Mar-18 - POE

27-Apr-18 - Green card received

13-Jan-20 - Mailed out I-751 packet

15-Jan-20 - NOA date

12-Feb-20 - Biometrics appt completed; Status: Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken

07-Oct-20 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

06-Jul-21 - Interview scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.