4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there! I was granted a K1 in Feb. 2016. Hubby and I married in April and I applied for AOS in June 2016. 

We received a few minor RFE's, which we easily dealt with. Today I got my combo card for employment authorization and advanced parole (I-512). YAY!

My family from Canada is excited to have me drive up and visit for the weekend. I'm scared though because our AOS interview is next week in Seattle. My K-1 expired in August 2016, but I did fulfill all the requirements. I am just afraid that I may be denied re-entry. Should I just be cautious and wait a week and go to the interview first before going to visit my family in Canada? Or am I totally and completely fine to travel?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, angey_blueskies said:

Hi there! I was granted a K1 in Feb. 2016. Hubby and I married in April and I applied for AOS in June 2016. 

We received a few minor RFE's, which we easily dealt with. Today I got my combo card for employment authorization and advanced parole (I-512). YAY!

My family from Canada is excited to have me drive up and visit for the weekend. I'm scared though because our AOS interview is next week in Seattle. My K-1 expired in August 2016, but I did fulfill all the requirements. I am just afraid that I may be denied re-entry. Should I just be cautious and wait a week and go to the interview first before going to visit my family in Canada? Or am I totally and completely fine to travel?

Should be fine.  Don't overthink 

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you! I went to Canada for the weekend. They did pull me into secondary when I came back to the USA but it was only to add a "temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residency" sheet to my passport. What was funny is I got the same customs guy as I had when I moved across the border on my K1 and he immediately recognized me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.