Jump to content

Going abroad after K1 wedding and before AOS

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for all the valuable information on this website it has helped us a lot!


I still have one question, for which I did not manage to find the answer. I know that I have to marry within 90 days of arriving on a K1 and that I can not leave the states once I start the AOS till I receive that magic grass colored card (please correct me if I am wrong). However, once we are married can we still leave the country for a honeymoon and, upon arrival back in the states, enter the country on the ESTA/I-94?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



You will either need the AP (advanced Parole which allows you to travel if you haven;t received the GC yet) or the actual GC itself. The AP takes up to 90 days to receive after filing. The GC can take up to 6 months.


Do not make any plans that can't be changed until you have either of these documents.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made; whether it is time, money, or separation or a combination of any or all.” - NuestraUnion

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you want to have your fiance back to her/his country and start the process all over again i would advise u wait till you get AP or GC , the usa has 50 states just do a honeymoon here



05/04/17 - Biometric appointment

05/17/17 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

07/20/17 - EAD/AP Approved

07/25/17 - GC interview scheduled

07/27/17 - EAD/AP in hand

08/14/17 - GC interview , approved =)

08/18/17 - GC approval notice letter

08/21/17 - GC in hand




05/16/19 - Earliest  to apply 







Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The topic was discussed many times.


Sure you can leave the States, no one holds you prisoner. But you will not be able to come back. You would have to go through the CR1 spouse visa, which takes about a year.


Apply for AoS before you leave, get your AP. Then you can travel.


29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 


03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  


24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or...you could delay your honeymoon. Have an overnight in a nice city, pick a nice hotel...then plan your big getaway honeymoon for later. Good luck!

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of beautiful places in the USA to honeymoon! From snow to beach, surely you'll find the perfect place within the US states and territories. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.