sparkles_

AOS March 2016 filers/Part 2

674 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
33 minutes ago, msmontader said:

Good News !!!
I just got an update status from USCIS and they have scheduled an interview on October 4 2017. I am so excited finally this thing is going to an end. 
Any suggestions on how to prepare and what to do ? i am excited but also a bit nervous !!

Yes, at last!!!! 

The interview notice will have any specifics listed. Go ahead and get your tax transcripts ordered for any years you and your spouse filed jointly. Leases, utility bills, phone bills, car insurance, bank stuff in both names. Any invitations you've gotten listed to both of you maybe, I included an invite to a family member's wedding address to Mr and Mrs XYZ. Any joint memberships like gym, zoo, museum, AAA, etc. 

Time to start making your USCIS photo album, lol. I got a hard covered album that held 3 photos a sheet, front and back and filled it up. It held a total of 120 something and I labelled the back of each photo with the date, place/event and anyone else's first name that was in the photo. I also got an accordion folder and put all our paper documents in it and labelled the tabs for things like USCIS notices, lease/utility, bank stuff, extras, etc. If your spouse is listed as an emergency contact on anything, include this as well.

If you have a lot of things, bank and phone statements for example, I printed one for every 3mo versus all of them and told them this. We had over 2yr worth of those and I wasn't about to print every single one. You should have a full copy of your entire AOS packet with you as well to reference if they need it. And make sure your medical is up to date!! Glad to see you are finally at the end of this :)

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/15/2017 at 4:39 PM, elikhom said:

Congrats! It seems this thread is coming to an end. Only msmontander and I are left.

We are still here.. waiting on the 28th...

1 hour ago, msmontader said:

Good News !!!
I just got an update status from USCIS and they have scheduled an interview on October 4 2017. I am so excited finally this thing is going to an end. 
Any suggestions on how to prepare and what to do ? i am excited but also a bit nervous !!

Awesome... March filers are moving right along :)

Timeline
1 hour ago, britontherun said:

Are you guys looking like you will skip ROC?? I honestly found that was the best part of the entire process

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

On 9/1/2017 at 0:07 PM, msmontader said:

Good News !!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How exciting!!

Sparkles has provided excellent advice about what to bring and prepare. Although we didn't end up having an interview, I had prepared a binder very similar to what she has described, just in case. Actually, we are still waiting on the physical green card, so I'm keeping everything up-to-date. One never knows with USCIS....

Soon this will all be behind you! It might not hurt to practice answering some questions so you don't feel as nervous on the day of the interview. You could ask a friend or family member to go through the i-485 form and just ask you some of those questions. Even if those aren't the questions that are asked on interview day, you will have practiced answering questions in a somewhat uncomfortable setting, and that could help. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

[Day 000] May 18, 2020: Naturalization package accepted by USCIS

[Day 268] February 10, 2021: Interview scheduled

[Day 305 ] March 19, 2021: Approved!

[Day 309 ] March 23, 2021: Oath ceremony

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] April 29, 2019: ROC package accepted by USCIS

[Day 036] June 4, 2019: Biometrics taken at USCIS center in VA

[Day 330] March 24, 2020: Case transferred to NBC to ease case backlog at EAC

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

[Day 690] March 19, 2021: Approved during combo interview

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 000] March 8, 2016: Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package to Chicago lockbox

[Day 035] April 12, 2016: Biometrics appointment

[Day 052] April 29, 2016: Received EAD/AP combo card in the mail

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 470] June 22, 2017: Received RFE for five items with 84 days to respond 

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Fall 2005: Met as students at university

July 2015: Got engaged

September 12, 2015: Mailed K-1 Visa Petition to Lewisville Lockbox

September 16, 2015: NOA1 Received (Electronic Notice)

October 2, 2015: NOA2 (Electronic Notice)

October 23, 2015: Approved I-129F Received by NVC and Assigned Case Number

October 29, 2015: Petition documents arrived at AIT in Taipei

November 2, 2015: Received Packet 3 from AIT via email

November 10, 2015: Medical appointment

November 23, 2015: Visa interview

November 27, 2015: VISA APPROVED!!

February 1, 2016: POE in Minneapolis

February 6, 2016: Married!

Timeline
On 9/4/2017 at 1:43 PM, Linyahui said:

Sparkles has provided excellent advice about what to bring and prepare. Although we didn't end up having an interview, I had prepared a binder very similar to what she has described, just in case. Actually, we are still waiting on the physical green card, so I'm keeping everything up-to-date. One never knows with USCIS....

Soon this will all be behind you! It might not hurt to practice answering some questions so you don't feel as nervous on the day of the interview. You could ask a friend or family member to go through the i-485 form and just ask you some of those questions. Even if those aren't the questions that are asked on interview day, you will have practiced answering questions in a somewhat uncomfortable setting, and that could help. 

We went through the stokes interview questions as well as normal ones to be extra prepared 

Edited by sparkles_

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
On 9/1/2017 at 10:40 AM, sparkles_ said:

Yes, at last!!!! 

The interview notice will have any specifics listed. Go ahead and get your tax transcripts ordered for any years you and your spouse filed jointly. Leases, utility bills, phone bills, car insurance, bank stuff in both names. Any invitations you've gotten listed to both of you maybe, I included an invite to a family member's wedding address to Mr and Mrs XYZ. Any joint memberships like gym, zoo, museum, AAA, etc. 

Time to start making your USCIS photo album, lol. I got a hard covered album that held 3 photos a sheet, front and back and filled it up. It held a total of 120 something and I labelled the back of each photo with the date, place/event and anyone else's first name that was in the photo. I also got an accordion folder and put all our paper documents in it and labelled the tabs for things like USCIS notices, lease/utility, bank stuff, extras, etc. If your spouse is listed as an emergency contact on anything, include this as well.

If you have a lot of things, bank and phone statements for example, I printed one for every 3mo versus all of them and told them this. We had over 2yr worth of those and I wasn't about to print every single one. You should have a full copy of your entire AOS packet with you as well to reference if they need it. And make sure your medical is up to date!! Glad to see you are finally at the end of this :)

Thank you Sparkles for your amazing response. I am in the process of getting everything and putting all those papers together. I have lots of papers ready ( insurances, phone bills, apartment leases ..etc). I do have all the taxes for the past years so should i just copy those or i have to order them from the IRS?. Also for the medical exam, i did submit my medical exam when i filed last year but i am not sure if i need a new one or how this process even goes?. On the interview notice they said a to bring a medical exam unless you have submitted one but i am not sure if it's still up to date. 

On 9/1/2017 at 11:42 AM, britontherun said:

Thank you !!

On 9/4/2017 at 10:43 AM, Linyahui said:

Thank you so much !!. You guys will get it soon in the mail and all this will be behind and we will never look back haha. 
In  terms of the questions.. where can i find like typical interview questions just to practice them before going to the interview. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, msmontader said:

Thank you Sparkles for your amazing response. I am in the process of getting everything and putting all those papers together. I have lots of papers ready ( insurances, phone bills, apartment leases ..etc). I do have all the taxes for the past years so should i just copy those or i have to order them from the IRS?. Also for the medical exam, i did submit my medical exam when i filed last year but i am not sure if i need a new one or how this process even goes?. On the interview notice they said a to bring a medical exam unless you have submitted one but i am not sure if it's still up to date. 

Thank you !!

Thank you so much !!. You guys will get it soon in the mail and all this will be behind and we will never look back haha. 
In  terms of the questions.. where can i find like typical interview questions just to practice them before going to the interview. 

Honestly, I would re do the medical exam if it's older than 365 days. It would suck to be told you would be approved on the spot but you need a new medical.

I always heard the transcripts are better because they show an easy break down and it's official. 1040 forms can only show you filed not that it was accepted and processed by the IRS. 

We googled stokes interview questions and a ton of sites came up with lists. Also you can search green card interview questions as well. We just prepped for a stokes just in case.

The best advice I can give you is keep any answer short and to the point. No extra details, just exactly what they ask for. Where did you meet your spouse? Example, at a college class. Done. Wait for another question. Not in a college class and we were lab partners, they grew on me and I asked them out but he or she turned me down the first time. Too many details can actually make problems as per our lawyers words and open an avenue for more questions.

Edited by sparkles_

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline
6 minutes ago, sparkles_ said:

Honestly, I would re do the medical exam if it's older than 365 days. It would suck to be told you would be approved on the spot but you need a new medical.

I always heard the transcripts are better because they show an easy break down and it's official. 1040 forms can only show you filed not that it was accepted and processed by the IRS. 

We googled stokes interview questions and a ton of sites came up with lists. Also you can search green card interview questions as well. We just prepped for a stokes just in case.

The best advice I can give you is keep any answer short and to the point. No extra details, just exactly what they ask for. Where did you meet your spouse? Example, at a college class. Done. Wait for another question. Not in a college class and we were lab partners, they grew on me and I asked them out but he or she turned me down the first time. Too many details can actually make problems as per our lawyers words and open an avenue for more questions.

Yup i figured that would be the case. I will do the medical exam first thing on Monday and i will order the IRS transcripts now. I do have a copy of the AOS packet and i made copies of all other immigrations documents along with originals. Thank you for clearing up all these issues!!. I really appreciate it !. 
I remember when i was on the asylum case, the lawyer said the same things " your answer should be short and clear nothing more and nothing less". so i think i will take your advice and his when i go to the interview. 
I will post here the things i have prepared before i go just to make sure that i am not missing something. I am also preparing papers as per your advice and other advices here on VJ. 
Thank You !

On 27/07/2017 at 7:58 PM, Linyahui said:

YOU GUYS!!!!

OK, mailed the RFE package on Saturday and this afternoon received a text message alerting me that our case status was updated on the USCIS website. I signed in, clicked on the i-485, and it said YOUR CASE HAS BEEN APPROVED!!!

That means the green card will soon be in the mail without interview, right? RIGHT?!?!??!

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I just saw your update now that I am back online about to file for AOS at St Paul.  I was following your updates earlier in the year - so pleased to see that you finally got to the other end!  Though it doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about how this might go with our process...

However - you got there and we will too - however long it takes :)

I am so pleased for you x

11/07/16    I-129F mailed to Dallas lockbox
11/09/16    i-129F received date    11/14/16    NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice    11/15/16    NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC    11/18/16    NOA1 Hard Copy Received

01/30/17...NOA2 approved per USCIS status update  02/07/17..NOA2 Hard Copy Received   02/15/17 NVC assigned case number  02/16/17  NVC case number received (by phone/scheduled medical)

02/17/17  NVC despatched case to London (In Transit)   02/21/17 Case arrived in London   02/22/17 Status updated to 'Ready'   03/03/17 Letter received from Embassy

03/06/17  Medical (London)   03/17/17  Interview Date (approved)   03/20/17 CEAC status changed to Non-immigrant - Admin Processing   03/21/17 CEAC status changed to ISSUED

03/24/17 VISA IN HAND

07/03/17 POE Toronto (preclearance)/Minneapolis

08/26/17 MARRIED

09/13/2017 Mailed AOS package   09/15/2017 USCIS received package   09/19/2017 Email and text notification of receipt and case #s   10/12/2017 Biometrics appointment

10/18/2017 status changed to 'ready to be scheduled for interview'   12/07/2017 raised SR online for EAD   12/18/2017 posted form to Senator to enquire about EAD

12/18/2017 EAD and AP approved   12/23/2017 NOAs received for EAD and AP   12/27/2017 Combo card received   early July - sent renewal forms for EAD and AP

07/13 EAD and AP renewal pack received at Chicago lockbox  0801 PD date for AP - EAD renewal rejected for being on old form  0801 EAD renewal received at Chicago lockabox

0808 EAD PD date - 180 day extension letter sent 0813

10/31 called USCIS to request to expedite AP   11/01/18 Received email from USCIS with expedite instructions     11/14 Faxed evidence requested   12/06 Raised Service Request

01/09/19 AOS Interview 8.45am     01/09/19 APPROVED 5pm   01/15/19 Green Card Received

Removal of conditions

10/13/20 Mailed package   06/24/21 Case was approved

1 hour ago, msmontader said:

Yup i figured that would be the case. I will do the medical exam first thing on Monday and i will order the IRS transcripts now. I do have a copy of the AOS packet and i made copies of all other immigrations documents along with originals. Thank you for clearing up all these issues!!. I really appreciate it !. 
I remember when i was on the asylum case, the lawyer said the same things " your answer should be short and clear nothing more and nothing less". so i think i will take your advice and his when i go to the interview. 
I will post here the things i have prepared before i go just to make sure that i am not missing something. I am also preparing papers as per your advice and other advices here on VJ. 
Thank You !

I second Sparkles's advice regarding the medical exam and short answers. We ended up getting an RFE for several items because our case took so long to get to the St. Paul local office, and one of those items was the medical exam and immunization worksheet. It didn't matter that when we submitted the AOS paperwork in March 2016 that the medical exam was still valid....at the point of review at our local office, it had expired and so they requested another one. 

I also sent IRS tax transcripts as part of our RFE. They had requested 2016 tax returns, but the tax transcript was more detailed and I didn't want to cause any further delays. As Sparkles said, I don't think the 1040 would have been enough (although it was accepted for the 2014 and 2015 tax year when I submitted with the original AOS packet). Better safe than sorry!

I can't direct you to specific AOS interview questions because we didn't actually get around to practicing those ourselves. However, I think Googling will give you plenty of resources. Again, I think just practicing answering questions (any of the questions you find) will be helpful, even if they don't end up being the specific questions asked during the interview. It's just helpful to get used to the process of being asked and answering. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 380 ] May 13, 2020: Online status updated to "interview ready to be scheduled" 

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

[Day 412] April 25, 2017: EAD/AP renewal documents approved; received card in hand first week of May

[Day 477] June 29, 2017: Second medical due to the case pending for more than one year 

[Day 505]: July 27, 2017: GREEN CARD APPLICATION WAS APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!!!

[Day 554]: September 14, 2017: Green card arrived in the mail and brought our 18-month AOS journey to an end

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Chelleyandaaron said:

I just saw your update now that I am back online about to file for AOS at St Paul.  I was following your updates earlier in the year - so pleased to see that you finally got to the other end!  Though it doesn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about how this might go with our process...

However - you got there and we will too - however long it takes :)

I am so pleased for you x

Thanks for the message! Yes, unfortunately, those of us in Minneapolis-St. Paul tend to be in for a long wait...the average wait time is a year. I think if you know that going into the process, it can make the months more bearable (unless you're like me and call USCIS every few months "just to check"). :)

Please feel free to PM me anytime with questions about filing. God knows that I know waaaaay too much about the AOS process now! I'd be happy to share my knowledge. 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Linyahui said:

Thanks for the message! Yes, unfortunately, those of us in Minneapolis-St. Paul tend to be in for a long wait...the average wait time is a year. I think if you know that going into the process, it can make the months more bearable (unless you're like me and call USCIS every few months "just to check"). :)

Please feel free to PM me anytime with questions about filing. God knows that I know waaaaay too much about the AOS process now! I'd be happy to share my knowledge. 

Thank you so much!  I am fairly certain I will have to have another medical as mine will expire in March and I am not hopeful I will be anywhere close to GC by then (all the timelines are at least 7-12 months from filing and my medical is already 6 months old).

Knowing that it is slow here means that I will try not to worry - as long as I get my EAD in good time :)

Edited by Chelleyandaaron

11/07/16    I-129F mailed to Dallas lockbox
11/09/16    i-129F received date    11/14/16    NOA1 Date on Hard Copy Notice    11/15/16    NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC    11/18/16    NOA1 Hard Copy Received

01/30/17...NOA2 approved per USCIS status update  02/07/17..NOA2 Hard Copy Received   02/15/17 NVC assigned case number  02/16/17  NVC case number received (by phone/scheduled medical)

02/17/17  NVC despatched case to London (In Transit)   02/21/17 Case arrived in London   02/22/17 Status updated to 'Ready'   03/03/17 Letter received from Embassy

03/06/17  Medical (London)   03/17/17  Interview Date (approved)   03/20/17 CEAC status changed to Non-immigrant - Admin Processing   03/21/17 CEAC status changed to ISSUED

03/24/17 VISA IN HAND

07/03/17 POE Toronto (preclearance)/Minneapolis

08/26/17 MARRIED

09/13/2017 Mailed AOS package   09/15/2017 USCIS received package   09/19/2017 Email and text notification of receipt and case #s   10/12/2017 Biometrics appointment

10/18/2017 status changed to 'ready to be scheduled for interview'   12/07/2017 raised SR online for EAD   12/18/2017 posted form to Senator to enquire about EAD

12/18/2017 EAD and AP approved   12/23/2017 NOAs received for EAD and AP   12/27/2017 Combo card received   early July - sent renewal forms for EAD and AP

07/13 EAD and AP renewal pack received at Chicago lockbox  0801 PD date for AP - EAD renewal rejected for being on old form  0801 EAD renewal received at Chicago lockabox

0808 EAD PD date - 180 day extension letter sent 0813

10/31 called USCIS to request to expedite AP   11/01/18 Received email from USCIS with expedite instructions     11/14 Faxed evidence requested   12/06 Raised Service Request

01/09/19 AOS Interview 8.45am     01/09/19 APPROVED 5pm   01/15/19 Green Card Received

Removal of conditions

10/13/20 Mailed package   06/24/21 Case was approved

Just received a text message update from USCIS....my husband's green card is now in production and we may expect to receive it in the next 30 days!! Woohoo!!! 

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

On 9/7/2017 at 2:38 PM, Chelleyandaaron said:

Thank you so much!  I am fairly certain I will have to have another medical as mine will expire in March and I am not hopeful I will be anywhere close to GC by then (all the timelines are at least 7-12 months from filing and my medical is already 6 months old).

Knowing that it is slow here means that I will try not to worry - as long as I get my EAD in good time :)

My husband received his EAD/AP card in about six weeks from the date of receipt, if I remember correctly. USCIS is pretty good about approving those applications, so at least you can work/travel while you're waiting for the green card to process. :)

Naturalization Adventure

Spoiler

ROC Adventure:

Spoiler

AOS Adventure:

Spoiler

K-1 Adventure:

Spoiler

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Linyahui said:

Just received a text message update from USCIS....my husband's green card is now in production and we may expect to receive it in the next 30 days!! Woohoo!!! 

Woo hoo!! I got mine within a week of that text message. I'm so happy for you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.