James&Edlie

Well its over now

39 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, MarkPerry said:

I agree people need to build better relationship before doing a K1. You just see way too many people getting taken advantage of.

I wouldn't worry about your AOS, Once you made it to USA it is over.  They don't usually require a interview to be approved GreenCard, especially if are from Philippines. 

They're taken advantage of because they're vulnerable, lonely and desperate to feel loved and needed. They have these short lived online relationships with people they need to support financially and after a few days of visit they're already engaged and sending petitions. That's the problem. Getting the green card soon after applying for aos is not a problem. 

I didn't have any trouble getting my green card approved and I'm not from the Philippines (where it seems they're not concerned about anything other than giving away k1 visas) but it makes me very concerned when people think it's only the immigrants fault when things go bad or that the process should be harder for them because of someone's else's heartbreak and naivety 

Filed: Timeline
Just now, p-ana said:

They're taken advantage of because they're vulnerable, lonely and desperate to feel loved and needed. They have these short lived online relationships with people they need to support financially and after a few days of visit they're already engaged and sending petitions. That's the problem. Getting the green card soon after applying for aos is not a problem. 

I didn't have any trouble getting my green card approved and I'm not from the Philippines (where it seems they're not concerned about anything other than giving away k1 visas) but it makes me very concerned when people think it's only the immigrants fault when things go bad or that the process should be harder for them because of someone's else's heartbreak and naivety 

I have seen many couple from Philippines who come here and the story ends badly for the American petitioner.   Truly wish they would make the requirements a lot stricter. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen plenty of threads where people have never met and want to petition someone.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

24 minutes ago, MarkPerry said:

I have seen many couple from Philippines who come here and the story ends badly for the American petitioner.   Truly wish they would make the requirements a lot stricter. 

Stricter tô get a visa, yes, absolutely. Specially in places like the Philippines where they're not even looking at the affidavit of support nowadays. 

But making it harder once the immigrant is here is just ridiculous. I'm all for denying aos for tourist visas, for example, but a k1 goes through a process so they can get here legally and aos, no need to make it harder to adjust

8 minutes ago, p-ana said:

Stricter tô get a visa, yes, absolutely. Specially in places like the Philippines where they're not even looking at the affidavit of support nowadays. 

But making it harder once the immigrant is here is just ridiculous. I'm all for denying aos for tourist visas, for example, but a k1 goes through a process so they can get here legally and aos, no need to make it harder to adjust

I am waiting for them to stop having interviews for some applicants in the Philippines. 

To be honest, the I-134 isnt enforcable so looking at it is redundant.  Even if the petitioner doesnt make enough as long as they have a joint sponsor for the AOS the beneficiary will be looked after and not denied a green card due to sponsorship.  Really it would be better for no joint sponsors period and the I-134 to be enforcable for at least the i-94 period. (90 days after entry.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

4 hours ago, MarkPerry said:

I have seen many couple from Philippines who come here and the story ends badly for the American petitioner.

The wide age gap in many of these relationships goes some way to explaining this, I feel. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, MarkPerry said:

Almost to common it seems.  I wish once a K1 enters the USA and gets married they would issue work authorization only, and make the green card a 3 year wait until it is received.  

They aren't entering the USA on a work visa... they are entering the USA with immigration intent, and that means becoming an LPR.

Bad apples happen, on both sides!!  I know of two recent situations with Filipinas where the guy brought them to the USA, then more or less dumped them, refusing to complete AOS and even trying to kick them out of the house,  and one has kids ... 

13 hours ago, MarkPerry said:

I agree people need to build better relationship before doing a K1. You just see way too many people getting taken advantage of.

I wouldn't worry about your AOS, Once you made it to USA it is over.  They don't usually require a interview to be approved GreenCard, especially if are from Philippines. 

That isn't true.  I know a fair number from the Philippines that were interviewed for AOS, my wife and I included.  Thing I noticed was those that were interviewed tended to get the green card quicker than those that were exempted from the interview process.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

I agree with @Greenbaum.  Lives can be happy regardless of religion, age, race, and sex.  

To clarify: Any changes I suggest should be for the process as a whole, for everyone in the world, not a particular country.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

4 hours ago, Sagot said:

That isn't true.  I know a fair number from the Philippines that were interviewed for AOS, my wife and I included.  Thing I noticed was those that were interviewed tended to get the green card quicker than those that were exempted from the interview process.

I have about dozen on so buddies with wives from Philippines. None of them had to a interview for conditional AOS.  Now my wife had to go do biometrics, but there was no questions.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
35 minutes ago, MarkPerry said:

I have about dozen on so buddies with wives from Philippines. None of them had to a interview for conditional AOS.  Now my wife had to go do biometrics, but there was no questions.

Everyone completes biometrics.

I know a few thousand that have been down this road, and like said some are interviewed some are not, has nothing to do with being from the Philippines though.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

7 minutes ago, Sagot said:

Everyone completes biometrics.

I know a few thousand that have been down this road, and like said some are interviewed some are not, has nothing to do with being from the Philippines though.

Same here, Most don't do a interview for conditional AOS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.