Aussieinsocal

Does anyone else hate it here?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Lol... What's up with all the California hate in this thread? My experience of Californians is that they're super nice and laid back. And the weather's nice and the nature is beautiful. I've never been to Southern California though.

Timeline
On 30.12.2016 at 8:54 PM, Sedona and Thomas said:

You're definitely not alone. I was born and raised in Northern California, (1 hour south of San Fransisco), but my dads entire family lives in Los Angeles. I dread going down there for holiday's. I love my family but my mind set, beliefs and interests do not fit in there. I have been making the trip down my entire life and by the end of my trip I cannot wait to get home. California is a huge state, and it has a lot of diversity. Some say you can find a little bit of all 50 state's within California. Because I grew up in a very liberal, accepting, diverse town I cannot see myself living in most states within the US, and definitely not in LA (but the costal towns are a lot more laid back and very beautiful!)

Before you loose hope on California, or the US in general try taking a trip to others parts of the state! You really can find small towns with beautiful people and that small town feel. The town I live in is near the mountains, and the ocean. Its hard to leave your house without running into a familiar face, lots of art, culture, and natural beauty. Looks like you need to go on a little road trip :) 

Santa Cruz represent! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, RandB said:

Lol... What's up with all the California hate in this thread? My experience of Californians is that they're super nice and laid back. And the weather's nice and the nature is beautiful. I've never been to Southern California though.

Well there ya go. Most of the hate is in fact directed at Southern California. The northern part of the state is very different from the Bay Area (which Californians annoyingly refer to as "NorCal" while ignoring the beauty that is ACTUAL NorCal), which is very different from the LA area. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Piggus said:

Well there ya go. Most of the hate is in fact directed at Southern California. The northern part of the state is very different from the Bay Area (which Californians annoyingly refer to as "NorCal" while ignoring the beauty that is ACTUAL NorCal), which is very different from the LA area. 

My feelings are directed at the whole state, but not individuals.  :whistle:

2 hours ago, RandB said:

It isn't that they are nasty people, but I think it is what I perceive to be smugness and just the whole West Coast mentality.  I just can't even with it.  It is kind of win win for Californians and me.  I don't go to their state and they know better then to move to a place that is colder than a pail of penguin poop.  See, everyone is happy.  

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought many were moving to Canada?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

I thought many were moving to Canada?

Nah, too liberal.  Which is why I keep wondering why they move to Colorado with all of our open carry laws etc... It's harder to keep your trout and get deer tags than it is to get and carry a gun around as long as you're not in Denver city or county. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If only they would stay in Denver, heard too many stories....

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
9 hours ago, Piggus said:

Northern California is SF Bay Area and up.

Timeline
8 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

My feelings are directed at the whole state, but not individuals.  :whistle:

It isn't that they are nasty people, but I think it is what I perceive to be smugness and just the whole West Coast mentality.  I just can't even with it.  It is kind of win win for Californians and me.  I don't go to their state and they know better then to move to a place that is colder than a pail of penguin poop.  See, everyone is happy.  

Well, I've lived there and don't recognize this smugness at all.

Timeline
5 hours ago, RandB said:

Well, I've lived there and don't recognize this smugness at all.

Californians being smug is kind of a running joke and way overgeneralization, but I'm not going to presume to know the reasons that you like it there.  I have some theories if you are the Scandinavian half starting with not picking up the cultural subtleties, Americans general fetishizing of Scandinavians impacting your interactions with them, etc.  Alas, they are just wild theories.  

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline
3 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

Californians being smug is kind of a running joke and way overgeneralization, but I'm not going to presume to know the reasons that you like it there.  I have some theories if you are the Scandinavian half starting with not picking up the cultural subtleties, Americans general fetishizing of Scandinavians impacting your interactions with them, etc.  Alas, they are just wild theories.  

Maybe in Minnesota. My background doesn't come up much. I like it because the people are nice, they have a rich culture and a diverse population, the nature is beautiful and the food is nice.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, RandB said:

Maybe in Minnesota. My background doesn't come up much. I like it because the people are nice, they have a rich culture and a diverse population, the nature is beautiful and the food is nice.

Interesting.  We are really recent transplants and I unfortunately have almost two decades of witnessing American interactions with Scandinavians in a variety of different states, so what I said came from that rather than the almost cultural obsession of Minnesota towards a culture they have almost nothing in common with.

Totally veering off the topic of this thread.  I'm happy you've found a place you like.  A lot of people must also enjoy the area with as high of a population as it has.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/26/18 Biometrics

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't live in SoCal: I live over towards the East Coast and am an Aussie import as well.  I love the landscapes, my new home town, and the folks.  I love their Southern accents and their warmth and slow humor and the pink sunsets and the snow :  pretty much all of it.  But I am seriously struggling with the health system: I work and have insurance (if you can call it that). I have a $3000 deductible: so no insurance really.   I already have 2 bills in collections.  The wages suck and the medical bills are crazy: paying for the doctor, the radiologist, the machine rental, the hospital... seriously??  And the credit score thing. It went up 50 points in 3 months and just smashed back down again.  I resent being told, like a child, what I can borrow and what I can't, and what insurance I can choose or can't.   It IS a different culture.  Politics don't bother me: doesn't matter which country you're in, people will disagree and the Government won't do you any good, but the wages and the health system will get me, I reckon.  I am starting to miss home, it must be said and the rights and freedoms I had there.  Sigh.. 

People in the USA feel they have more freedom and rights because they can make choices and items like this are not controlled by the government.  In reality it's less freedom because everyone is limited by wage and affordibility.  Even we have a 3k deductible on our health insurance.  For us it's on purpose since we rarely go to the doctor and it enables us to have a health savings account to spend on medical care when we do get sick.   But in places with social health care, yes you get paid more and pay more taxes, but here you're paid less and then still pay for health care.  So youre always making less and no, things are not always more affordable here to make up the difference. 

The main thing with wages that makes me angry is servers.  People should never depend on tips to make ends meet.  People should make a wage and then make their wage better by providing good service.  Even my husband, the USC, doesn't tip by bill, he tips via number of people at the table and service given. It's rather a flat rate system.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.