Amythyst88

i need health insurance

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi everyone! it has been a while since i last posted a topic.

I am currently unemployed and have to sacrifice working (due to preparing for the upcoming Licensure exam on February next year). I already got my Permanent Residency from K1. My husband is working full time and on Humana Health insurance. Open enrollment will be next year March (so i can be added as his dependent).

Now, I am 4 weeks pregnant. I dont have my health insurance yet. We are looking for a health insurance where I can be qualified being Unemployed. Problem is, are there health insurance companies that considers my case - unemployed, permanent resident and currently pregnant??

i need your inputs and suggestions.

thank you!

Timeline

Look into Obamacare.

Yes actually reading through it. it says one of the eligibility requirement is INCOME, Pay stubs, or the employment status. Which I have none at the moment. My husband does, but not yet me. :(

Yes actually reading through it. it says one of the eligibility requirement is INCOME, Pay stubs, or the employment status. Which I have none at the moment. My husband does, but not yet me. :(

If you have health insurance before but not anymore due to unemployment, it should be considered as qualifying life event to be added to your spouse's health insurance outside the yearly enrollment period.

Edited by Merrytooth

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

If your husband is working and has healthcare with any major life change such as getting pregnant or marriage he should be able to add you without issue. Your spouse losing coverage is also covered under the law for him to request to add you even before open enrollment.

These changes are called Qualifying Life Events to have a change to his insurance. Have him call his insurance company and have you added asap as a dependent!!! He could have done this as soon as you were married as well, just an FYI.

Here is the link to the information from the law that he can cite if needed:

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

Edited by Kat&Jon

Kat & Jon

I am Kat the US Citizen

K-1 Timeline                                                       AOS Timeline

July 21 2016- K-1 Application mailed                                             May 1 2017- AOS/EAD/AP Mailed

July 27 2016- NOA1 Text/Email                                                     May 26 2017 - NOA 1 Text/Email x1 Received (Packet Fiasco ><)

August 1 2016- NOA1 Hard Copy                                                 May XXXX - NOA 1 Hard Copies Received

Sept 15 2016- NOA 2 Text/Email                                                   XXXXXX - Biometrics  Appointment

Sept 20 2016- NOA 2 Hard Copy                                                  XXXXX -EAD/AP NOA 2 Text/Email

Oct 12 2016- NVC Received Case                                                XXXXX - EAD/AP NOA 2 Hard  Copy Received

Oct 14 2016- LND Case # Received                                             XXXXX - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

Oct 25 2016- Case In Transit to LND                                            XXXXX - AOS Interview/ Approval

Oct 28 2016- CEAC Status shows Ready                                     XXXXX- Green Card Received

Dec 13 2016- Medical

Jan 06 2017- Interview (Approved!)

Jan 10 2017- CEAC Status shows Issued

Feb 28 2017- POE Tampa

April 21 2017- Wedding

Getting pregnant is NOT a qualifying life event.

You can look into getting your own coverage under your husband's insurance since you lost yours, Obamacare, or work out a payment plan for your care with a midwife or obgyn practice.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Getting pregnant is NOT a qualifying life event.

You can look into getting your own coverage under your husband's insurance since you lost yours, Obamacare, or work out a payment plan for your care with a midwife or obgyn practice.

i have not started working here in USA because I prioritized studying for the Licensure Exam. Unexpectedly I got pregnant. So, in short never had any health insurance ever since. Still waiting for my husband's.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from Off Topic~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 12/27/2016 at 8:44 AM, Amythyst88 said:

i have not started working here in USA because I prioritized studying for the Licensure Exam. Unexpectedly I got pregnant. So, in short never had any health insurance ever since. Still waiting for my husband's.

When did you move here?

The act of immigrating/moving to this country counts as a "Qualifying life event", but I don't know if there is a period of time after the event that you have before it expires. You should have been able to get added to your husband's insurance when you moved here.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

If you go through their little checklist thing, obtaining "legal status" in the US within the last 60 days counts as a QLE. You should be able to get added to your Husband's employee based insurance if you got your visa in the last 60 days.

Also - Having a baby counts as a QLE, but not getting pregnant. So if you went that route you'd be without insurance until you give birth. Sort of silly if you ask me but oh well. Hopefully you are within 60 days of coming here.

Just looked at your timeline, seems like you've been here for more than 60 days. In that case I'm not sure what to say unless you guys have moved or made any other changes that qualify in the last 60 days.

Edited by bcking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.