PurplePassion

Health insurance

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

When My spouse passes his interview and we go to usa does he have to purchase health insurance until he is a citizen. 286 dollars monthly for 1 person is outrageous.

Healthcare is not free in the USA, unsure what type you are referring to for USD$286 as it seems quite cheap.

:lol:

$300 is normal. Try $600 plus for a family plan.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline

before I left usa I didnt have to purchase health insurance. thats why I am asking after I left the law changed and Im not sure what we have to do. What are some of the health insurance companies in usa that I can call. and the health insurance I was referring to was just a random google search engine answer that was given to me.

What if my spouse isnt working, do we still have to purchase health insurance if we cannot afford it at first?

also what if we simply do not want insurance, do we still have to buy it?

Edited by PurplePassion

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Of course like everything else in life you have choices. You don't have to purchase health insurance but you will have to pay a fine when you file your taxes. Healthcare.gov would be a good place to start.

Definitely not the case in the US. In fact, quite the opposite. Healthcare is continually increasing.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

As far as I am aware both you and your LPR spouse are required to buy health insurance or pay a penalty.

This change has been in affect for a while, time to get googling and do some research.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

so 600+$ monthly we would have to pay? is this serious? its like 1 of us would work just to give free money away like that. how do they expect people to live when you have other living expense. after both of us work monthly all the money will be gone for bills rent and healthcare and car insurance child care etc.

Timeline

If you can't afford it there are likely subsidies. Your children will need health insurance too.

How do you expect living paycheck to paycheck and not having that extra and not purchasing health insurance to afford a, let's say 100,000 hospital bill?

This is part of adulting.

3/26/18 Biometrics

If you can't afford it there are likely subsidies. Your children will need health insurance too.

How do you expect living paycheck to paycheck and not having that extra and not purchasing health insurance to afford a, let's say 100,000 hospital bill?

This is part of adulting.

children should automatically have health insurance free up to age 14 or so

My child and I are US Citizen not immigrants

why would I pay a 100,000 hospital bill when that chance of serious injury 1 in 10000+

Edited by PurplePassion

When My spouse passes his interview and we go to usa does he have to purchase health insurance until he is a citizen. 286 dollars monthly for 1 person is outrageous.

Does he have to? No.

Should he do so for his own well-being, health care access, and care? Yes.

$286 may seem like a lot to you, but I wish I could be paying that right now compared to the nearly $700 bill I'm looking at right now.

before I left usa I didnt have to purchase health insurance. thats why I am asking after I left the law changed and Im not sure what we have to do. What are some of the health insurance companies in usa that I can call. and the health insurance I was referring to was just a random google search engine answer that was given to me.

What if my spouse isnt working, do we still have to purchase health insurance if we cannot afford it at first?

The change in the law is as follows: If you want health insurance you may purchase it. If you do not purchase it, a penalty must be paid in taxes. The penalty is as expensive or as cheap as one or two insurance premiums. Which means people often opt to pay the penalty because they simply cannot afford to be gouged by the insurance companies with monthly premiums, and they feel the risk is worth it.

You can purchase health insurance through any provider in your state (google or talk to a licensed insurance agent to review your options), or through the state or federal exchange. The California exchange is called Covered California. You can call there or look at the website. Subsidies don't benefit everyone and only under certain circumstances. Weigh the pros and cons and get what you can afford. Be prepared for sticker shock. Health insurance in this country is not free or cheap.

If you or spouse is not working, then of course it would seem you don't have money to buy insurance. But the government doesn't really care about that, and a penalty will still be assessed as they see fit. Again if you don't want insurance, you don't have to buy it. But you're going to have to pay either way.

so 600+$ monthly we would have to pay? is this serious? its like 1 of us would work just to give free money away like that. how do they expect people to live when you have other living expense. after both of us work monthly all the money will be gone for bills rent and healthcare and car insurance child care etc.

Yes it's serious, and no the insurance companies and the government do not care one bit about the expense. Those are the options they give everyone these days, and that's what we have to put up with.

children should automatically have health insurance free up to age 14 or so

My child and I are US Citizen not immigrants

why would I pay a 100,000 hospital bill when that chance of serious injury 1 in 10000+

Anything can happen. You could be in a serious auto accident, or you could need a trip to the ER for something serious. Even a trip to a local clinic for an infection or a flu could set you back a few hundred dollars. No one knows the future of what will happen to their health. When I was younger, I fell seriously ill and had to be hospitalized for a week. No insurance. The bill was massive. And they didn't care that you didn't have insurance and couldn't really afford it, it had to be paid or else.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Anything can happen. You could be in a serious auto accident, or you could need a trip to the ER for something serious. Even a trip to a local clinic for an infection or a flu could set you back a few hundred dollars. No one knows the future of what will happen to their health. When I was younger, I fell seriously ill and had to be hospitalized for a week. No insurance. The bill was massive. And they didn't care that you didn't have insurance and couldn't really afford it, it had to be paid or else.

This. I had a really serious accident a decade or so ago before I even hit my 20s. Had two insurance plans covering me. The final bills were into the six figures and beyond and we still ended up paying a tiny bit, but that tiny bit wasn't even a fraction of one of the ambulance rides. There was almost a year of physical therapy several times a week too. Pricey.

3/26/18 Biometrics

268 dollars doesn't compare to a medical bill of tens of thousands of dollars or more if something serious happens to your spouse. You can't afford to be without health insurance.

Thanks to ObamaCare you are forced to have health insurance. You have NO choice. Now you Obama lovers out there don't get on me for this because it's true and it's Obama's legacy...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.