coa24

Tourist Visa or I-131 for Mother?

23 posts in this topic

I have a question, which is easier from the Philippine Embassy, a tourist visa or a relative petition? We will work on getting my wife's mother to visit very soon. Unfortunately, my wife developed breast cancer during her pregnancy. Does the Tourist visa require medical, etc. ...? Her mother is over 65 years of age, so I assume she is exempt from taking the class before leaving the country. At this time she does not plan to stay but may stay up to 6 months. We are trying to figure out the fastest route to get her here so that my wife can have her mom for a short time to help with the baby and during treatments.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

she can try the tourist visa, but she can't say that she comes to take care of the baby, that is considered work, she is coming to visit you. she must show strong ties to her country and convince the officer that she has no intentions to stay

if your wife is a USC, the petition will take around a year for a green card

She has that evidence. She is not working for us and will not be paid. She is just coming to help around the house for a few months until we are able to get back on our feet and then go back.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.
Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Putting aside the working issue (does not need to be paid) a visitor visa is quick and relatively cheap, if she gets it. Immigrant visa is longer but more certain.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a question, which is easier from the Philippine Embassy, a tourist visa or a relative petition? We will work on getting my wife's mother to visit very soon. Unfortunately, my wife developed breast cancer during her pregnancy. Does the Tourist visa require medical, etc. ...? Her mother is over 65 years of age, so I assume she is exempt from taking the class before leaving the country. At this time she does not plan to stay but may stay up to 6 months. We are trying to figure out the fastest route to get her here so that my wife can have her mom for a short time to help with the baby and during treatments.

Tourist visa is quicker to apply for, and cheaper... but hard to get. https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Immigrant visa (I-130) can take upwards of a year, but as said already - more likely to get.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

If found that she is coming for taking care of child and housekeeping she could be denied tourist visa. Paid or not. Relative or not. Been discussed plenty of times.

Tourist visa is the fastest to get. But also the toughest for her. She can file now and if approved can be here in a couple of months. I130 will take about a year.

If visitor visa is denied I suspect the I130 will be backup plan. Best to be prepared in case.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline

Putting aside the working issue (does not need to be paid) a visitor visa is quick and relatively cheap, if she gets it. Immigrant visa is longer but more certain.

Good answer

Tourist visa is quicker to apply for, and cheaper... but hard to get. https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

Not really, From what I have seen her mother being age 65 is a big bonus when applying for Tourist Visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the travel visa also require NBI clearance for people over 65?

• 3 weeks later...

Another question. I want to check the validity of this claim by several people. Does the embassy stamp the passport with the travel visa on the spot? Or do they take the passport and mail it to you once approval takes place? I ask in case she is approved that day so we can buy her plane ticket to the USA.

Another question, she does not require a CFO sticker since it is for tourism/visit and not immigration.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Passports are retained and sent back a few days, maybe a week later, sometimes longer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hope your wife's treatments goes well.

At her interview, make sure that your MIL emphasize that she wants to visit her daughter and provide emotional support while she goes through treatment. Stay away from saying things like helping with the baby or helping around the house. Stay away from anything that would be considered work.

Don't purchase any tickets until the visa is physically in your mother's hands.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does the travel visa also require NBI clearance for people over 65?

Requirements and process here: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-niv-visaapply.asp Delivery is noted in STEP 6

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-niv-typeb1b2.asp

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-niv-appointmentschedule.asp

Another question, she does not require a CFO sticker since it is for tourism/visit and not immigration.

NO. CFO is for exiting emigrates ... those with a tourist visa are not exiting as an immigrant.

Edited by Philippines^Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.